Hot Seat 2024?

ThreePointTakedown

With the carousel slowing to a crawl and the season starting soon. Who needs to have a breakout year to keep from getting the boot?

Minnesota: Out of the top ten for two years in a row. Gable most likely not returning. 

NIU: Probably safe because expectations aren't very high. But why not? Lets get someone in there that can make some progress. Get someone on the podium. Would hate to see them go the way of Eastern Illinois. 

IU: Year six for Angel, does he have some pressure to break into the single digits in the Big Ten or get someone through to day 3? Last AA a decade ago(based on the media guide)

MSU: Considering who he replaced and how, not expecting much here. Sad. 

Duke: any pressure here at all? Probably not. 

Hofstra: thoughts?

who did I miss?

14 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

With the carousel slowing to a crawl and the season starting soon. Who needs to have a breakout year to keep from getting the boot?

Minnesota: Out of the top ten for two years in a row. Gable most likely not returning. 

NIU: Probably safe because expectations aren't very high. But why not? Lets get someone in there that can make some progress. Get someone on the podium. Would hate to see them go the way of Eastern Illinois. 

IU: Year six for Angel, does he have some pressure to break into the single digits in the Big Ten or get someone through to day 3? Last AA a decade ago(based on the media guide)

MSU: Considering who he replaced and how, not expecting much here. Sad. 

Duke: any pressure here at all? Probably not. 

Hofstra: thoughts?

who did I miss?

I'd be more worried about a few of these programs getting dropped.

To relate with the Nelson thread, shouldn't the Brands brothers get the boot?  It was a head coach and assistant, a dad and an uncle that didn't insure Nelson had proper info.  If the athlete gets the boot, shouldn't the coaches also.  However its bigger than wrestling so institutional control, perhaps the AD should be fired. However again, it happensed at both flagship Us - Iowa St and Iowa so I say the Governor should step down,  C'mon Iowans - give her the boot! 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

To relate with the Nelson thread, shouldn't the Brands brothers get the boot?  It was a head coach and assistant, a dad and an uncle that didn't insure Nelson had proper info.  If the athlete gets the boot, shouldn't the coaches also.  However its bigger than wrestling so institutional control, perhaps the AD should be fired. However again, it happensed at both flagship Us - Iowa St and Iowa so I say the Governor should step down,  C'mon Iowans - give her the boot! 

That is if Nelson is telling the truth about missing that meeting.  No guarantee that he is being honest.

Regardless: He knew the rule.  It may be a stupid rule, but he violated it and received the prescribed consequences.

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

That is if Nelson is telling the truth about missing that meeting.  No guarantee that he is being honest.

Regardless: He knew the rule.  It may be a stupid rule, but he violated it and received the prescribed consequences.

But it was more than Nelson, clearly a failure to educate.  Did compliance give all an annual quiz or maybe Nelson was betting no one would notice uncle Tom took the quiz for him?  🤔

37 minutes ago, ionel said:

When was the last time (or 5) that a D1 wrestling coach got the boot? 

Maybe not officially fired, but resigned! There have been a few that I can think of. 

What happened at Stanford was quite a mess but pretty much a 'thanks-but-no-thanks'

Penrith at UNI

Brown coach recently

Tirapelle at Penn

Z at OSU and Iowa

OU this year

Pariano at N'w. 

UM, was more of a retirement but had to lose both assistants not long before due to, I'm guessing, poor performance

UWV, that was an abrasive departure

Moore from AU

Navy prior to Kolat

those are as many as I can recall. Not many official firings to be sure, but a rose by any other name.... 

Did I miss any?

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Maybe not officially fired, but resigned! There have been a few that I can think of. 

What happened at Stanford was quite a mess but pretty much a 'thanks-but-no-thanks'

Penrith at UNI

Brown coach recently

Tirapelle at Penn

Z at OSU and Iowa

OU this year

Pariano at N'w. 

UM, was more of a retirement but had to lose both assistants not long before due to, I'm guessing, poor performance

Moore from AU

Navy prior to Kolat

those are as many as I can recall. Not many official firings to be sure, but a rose by any other name.... 

Did I miss any?

Kevin Jackson Iowa State

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Good 'ol Carl!

I wish we could have kept Bobby Douglas in the coaching ranks for longer.   Arizona State's rise to the 1988 NCAA D1 championship (behind him) was historic.   It's the ONLY time any college wrestling team west of the Rockies has won it all at the NCAA D1 level.   

https://thesundevils.com/news/2020/1/9/-asuwrestling-to-honor-hall-of-fame-coach-bobby-douglas-at-sun-devil-duals.aspx

Bobby_Douglas_9.JPG&width=942&type=jpeg

Cal. State Bakersfield admittedly did well at the (I guess D2) level decades ago but Coach Douglas showed it could be done at the D1 level out there.   He went on to recruit Cael Sanderson from the West and help produce that history-maker at Iowa State.    Perhaps Coach Douglas had another run left in him upon handing the Cyclone head coaching baton to Cael.   I'd like to think he'd have focused on frontier-opening endeavors, post-Iowa State, but I don't know what those might have been.  Any thoughts?

4 hours ago, Gus said:

I would say the seat is getting hot for Eggum at Minnesota. 

Not in the least.  Top 4 NCAA individual performers from '22 were all bit by the injury bug all year (+Gable gone) and were virtually nonfactors at '23 NCAAs, yet still finished 12-3 in duals last year.

Plus, class of '23 and '24 recruiting classes are the best back-to-back classes in recent memory.

How about John Smith at Oklahoma State?

The program has been down for awhile now and rumbling is loud.

Will he be pushed out now that as apparent successor has come in? Pushed out bodily or will it be gentle and take a couple of years as the new heir apparent learns from John?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

5 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Penrith at UNI

Brown coach recently

Tirapelle at Penn

Z at OSU and Iowa

OU this year

Pariano at N'w. 

Moore from AU

Navy prior to Kolat

Did I miss any?

Jason Peters - Pitt

1 hour ago, AgaveMaria said:

Will he be pushed out now that as apparent successor has come in? Pushed out bodily or will it be gentle and take a couple of years as the new heir apparent learns from John?

Obviously a lot rides on a solid bounceback this year for the Pokes... but IMO he is not in a hot seat. Last two NCAAs have been rough but look at the context.  7 top ten finishes at NCAAs in the last ten years with multiple AAs and multiple NCs and a 7-year streak of winning the Big 12 Championship. Pulls in consistently high recruiting classes. Embraced NIL and the portal this offseason. Built a new locker room last year and is actively fundraising for future facility upgrades. Hired two new assistant coaches and brought several senior level athletes into the new RTC (Cowboy Wrestling Club) this last year. Changed up training routines. He has several years left regardless of NCAA results.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Not in the least.  Top 4 NCAA individual performers from '22 were all bit by the injury bug all year (+Gable gone) and were virtually nonfactors at '23 NCAAs, yet still finished 12-3 in duals last year.

Plus, class of '23 and '24 recruiting classes are the best back-to-back classes in recent memory.

I did not make the statement based on last years performance but more so Eggum's full body of work. The expectation for the Gophers should be to be a top 5 team semi-regularly. 

Year Coach Duals Big Ten NCAA

2000-01 J Robinson 19-1-0 1st 1st
2001-02 J Robinson 19-0-0 1st 1st
2002-03 J Robinson 17-5-0 1st 2nd
2003-04 J Robinson 12-6-0 2nd 8th
2004-05 J Robinson 9-9-0 2nd 5th
2005-06 J Robinson 20-1-0 1st 2nd
2006-07 J Robinson 20-1-0 1st 1st
2007-08 J Robinson 14-7-0 2nd 10th
2008-09 J Robinson 15-8-0 5th T-14th
2009-10 J Robinson 12-5-0 2nd 7th
2010-11 J Robinson 15-4-1 3rd 7th
2011-12 J Robinson 14-3-0 2nd 2nd
2012-13 J Robinson 16-2-0 T-2nd* 3rd
2013-14 J Robinson 14-1-0 3rd* 2nd
2014-15 J Robinson 12-3-0 3rd 8th
2015-16 J Robinson 10-8-0 9th 17th
2016-17 Brandon Eggum 7-5-0 5th 7th
2017-18 Brandon Eggum 10-8-0 7th 17th
2018-19 Brandon Eggum 14-3-0 4th 8th
2019-20  Brandon Eggum 9-8-0 8th Canceled/Covid
2020-21 Brandon Eggum 7-2-0 5th T-7th
2021-22 Brandon Eggum 4-6-0 6th 11th
2022-23 Brandon Eggum 12-3-0 6th 15th
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

NIU literally had an AA last year (Olejnik) and another guy (Feldkamp) that AA'd after transferring. 

• Fire 1

TBD

2 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Unless it was an enormous jump in pay for Scott,   which I doubt,  isn't it kind of sort of somewhat of a given that Smith is fading into the sunset, given that Scott is the Associate Head Coach?

Mes guessing that Smith is gone,  by how own volition,  in one-two years,  which was all in the cards,  considering Scott's hire. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

6 hours ago, MNRodent said:

In a weird way, if Nagao does anything less than make the finals then it is going to light up the fanbase even more. And I have a hunch he ain’t seein’ Saturday night.

i am an idiot on the internet