Jump to content

How many more for Taylor


Lleynor

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Lleynor said:

Until he gets MT. Rushmore consideration? 3 worlds and an Olympic Gold is crazy. 

If he would've won the 2021 World, would he get the consideration already?

Has he won 6 gold in a row including 2 Olympic? 

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:


Snyder. He also has 3 world golds and an Olympic gold. He also has several silvers behind one the greatest of all time wrestlers

That's fair. I'm letting recency bias take over. It's crazy to think that Kyle Snyder's younger than David Taylor, yet took over his weight a few years earlier.

  • Fire 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lleynor said:

Well, that's 1 of 4. There's 3 other spots I see. And JB was a 74 Phenom, as Taylor is now one at 86. 

Not to take away from Taylor's accomplishments, but Wrestling Mt. Rushmore is pretty crowded.

We go through this exercise every year but there's no agreement on how to objectively measure our top 4. Is an Olympic medal worth more than World gold? Do we adjust metrics for post-USSR competition? Banned countries? # of weight classes? College record? Super low cut singlets?

Taylor has 1 Olympic medal (gold) + 4 World medals (3 gold 1 silver). Where does he fit in this list, which doesn't even include Gable, Cael, Rulon, Kemp, and many others frequently mentioned in discussions of our all-time greats.

Bruce Baumgartner: 4 (2G 1S 1B) + 9 (3G 3S 3B)
John Smith: 2 (2G) + 4 (4G)
Helen Maroulis: 2 (1G 1S) + 6 (3G 2S 1B)
Kyle Snyder: 2 (1G 1S) + 6 (3G 2S 1B)
Kenny Monday: 2 (1G 1S) + 2 (1G 1S)
Rulon Gardner: 2 (1G 1B) + 1 (1G)
Jordan Burroughs: 1 (1G) + 9 (6G 3B)
Adeline Gray: 1 (1S) + 8 (6G 2B)  *2023 Worlds TBD
Dave Schultz: 1 (1G) + 6 (1G 3S 2B)
Kyle Dake: 1 (1B) + 5 (4G 1TBD)  plus he hasn't lost to Taylor since they were kids
David Taylor: 1 (1G) + 4 (3G 1S)
 

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Multiple Olympic Gold winners have to be on my Mt. Rushmore, Mehnert, Smith, Baumgartner.  Snyder with two Oly Finals and three World Golds edges out JB for the fourth spot on my list.  Obviously I weigh Olympic success heavily.  Peterson brothers and Monday get HM.

Edited by jchapman

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He lost one opportunity when he got injured at BTS to a guy not even in his stratosphere. Lost a second opportunity to Covid? My memory is shot on this chit, but that sounds plausible. 

I think since he started winning he probably would have won those two years as well, but just my take on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Multiple Olympic Gold winners have to be on my Mt. Rushmore, Mehnert, Smith, Baumgartner.  Snyder with two Oly Finals and three World Golds edges out JB for the fourth spot on my list.  Obviously I weigh Olympic success heavily.  Peterson brothers and Monday get HM.

Nothing like putting Mehnert -- who competed when guys rolled off their coach and into the Olympics -- ahead of 7x champ Burroughs.

Edited by peanut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

He lost one opportunity when he got injured at BTS to a guy not even in his stratosphere. Lost a second opportunity to Covid? My memory is shot on this chit, but that sounds plausible. 

I think since he started winning he probably would have won those two years as well, but just my take on it. 

He didn't really lose an opportunity to covid, they still had the olympics, and then the 21 worlds (his lone loss)

Edited by WrestlingRasta
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, peanut said:

Nothing like putting Mehnert -- who competed when guys rolled off their coach and into the Olympics -- ahead of 7x champ Burroughs.

Mehnert didn't compete when there were World Championship tournaments.  He only had the opportunity to compete on the world stage every four years at the Olympics, and he went 2 for 2.  

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Mehnert didn't compete when there were World Championship tournaments.  He only had the opportunity to compete on the world stage every four years at the Olympics, and he went 2 for 2.  

So Burroughs won 6 world titles and 1 Olympic title and he’s behind a guy who won 1 Olympic title 3 world titles?  Wow.  

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taylor’s overall number of Gold medals at 4 may not be as high as some, but in my mind the quality of his medals is about as high as it gets.

Next to Sadulaev, Yazdani was supposed to be the next great one. If it wasn’t for Taylor he would have 4 more golds with his current stash putting him in the argument for great ones.

What Taylor accomplished to move up in weight and basically own the series with a guy the caliber of Yazdani can’t be overstated.

For me he is on easily on Mt. Rushmore with a gold at the Olympics next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think DT calls it after the Olympics, personally.  He has nothing to prove that he hasn't already proved and should be looking in to his next phase.   I hope he lands a HC gig somewhere.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...