Anthony Wesley of Cape Verde at Worlds

BobDole

Via the USA Anthony Wesley will represent Cape Verde at Worlds next week. His dad was trying hard in 2021 to get a last minute bid into the Olympics and had some in the media thinking they had a chance.

Stay tuned to more information as I am sure it will be fun.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Via the USA Anthony Wesley will represent Cape Verde at Worlds next week. His dad was trying hard in 2021 to get a last minute bid into the Olympics and had some in the media thinking they had a chance.

Stay tuned to more information as I am sure it will be fun.

Say what you will, but this guy can work the system.  Gets his kid in the world championships and lands a gig in the exclusive NW corner of your home state!!!

• Fire 2

Just now, Plasmodium said:

Say what you will, but this guy can work the system.  Gets his kid in the world championships and lands a gig in the exclusive NW corner of your home state!!!

His father August is the most decorated Greco-Roman wrestler from Sacramento according to sources.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

Rochester Community and Technical College

From Southern California Coach Welsey was a 2x California State Qualifier and 2x State Greco Roman Champion. Anthony wrestled 141lbs and graduated from Iowa State with a degree in business. While in College he was twice a Greco Roman National All-American at U20s and U23s. Most recently he placed 5th at the African Continental Championships earning a #57 ranking in the World and a bid to the World Championships in Serbia representing Cape Verde. Coach Anthony served as a Volunteer last season while earning his Masters online from West Virginia University. This year he is taking on the Head Assistant Role which includes: Running practices, lifts, small group, and recruiting.

https://www.rctcyellowjackets.com/sports/wrest/coaches/Wesley?view=bio

Cape Verdean Museum 2022

Anthony and August Wesley recently stopped by to visit our museum. They shared with us many highlights in their most recent international events and upcoming competitions while representing the Cabo Verde Wrestling Federation.

Anthony competes at 70kg in the freestyle division, and has qualified for the world championships which will be held in Belgrade Serbia Sept 10th - 18th. August will accompany him as coach and team leader.

He enters this event with a string of successful results including a 5th place finish in the Ibrahim Moustafa International tournament held in Sharm El-Sheikh Egypt.

Followed by an exciting performance at the African Continental championships held in El-Jadia Morocco May 2022.

He advanced to the semi-finals after securing victories over Congo by pin, and Angola by decision 10-0.

Based on his recent results, Anthony earned a world ranking of number 47.

“I am excited and proud to represent Cabo Verde as an athlete” Anthony said, with the 2024 Paris Olympics around the corner every event is very important which gives me the opportunity to grow on the world stage. My true hope is that this serves as a motivation for the future athletes to get involved and support our nation.

https://www.facebook.com/capeverdeanmuseum/posts/anthony-and-august-wesley-recently-stopped-by-to-visit-our-museum-they-shared-wi/2945973782369743/?paipv=0&eav=AfY6p4F1x3xe6srQRZyXIw41w5PKZtkgVYUWGZEwBFFJJDpjFH570oMfSSvXgcGS9zs&_rdr

Edited by jross

You know, after seeing people rightfully shame August Wesley, i was expecting a lot worse of an effort from Anthony. Dude has a lot more wrestling chops and heart than other non-Olympic caliber athletes that went to represent a smaller country.

Let him be 58th in the world or whatever it is that will fill in the quota spots at the end of the Olympic qualifier list. Fine. What’s the issue? Are we going to start posting every time the farm boy from Michigan that’s wrestling for Team Jamaica does something, too?

• Fire 1