Twitter is better

jross

The median net worth of an American family is about $120k. Elon is worth $250BB. Him buying Twitter for $40 billion is equivalent to  the average family buying a 2014 Honda Pilot with 130,000 miles.

11 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

GWN, can you follow it up with substance? maybe answer the question?

pretty funny how all the lefties lost their collective mind at the same time elon was changing posting/information policy and not allowing the WH to determine messaging.

the audacity! i mean it only involved elections and medical information during a effin pandemic. 

so yes, say it out loud. say why the left largely roots for twitter/elon to fail. 

WKN already killed the substance topic (well done BTW.) The question was a leading question, dumb AF. Not everyone wants Elon to fail. Although some do, both on the left and right. It isn't actually political in nature.

The rest of your post is basically left=bad, blah blah, left=bad, blah blah. And you say it loudly like a mega church dope.

You keep trying to portray us as being split among two sides, but we're actually not. Just straight up simpleton. There are media forces that encourage that type of behavior, you'd do best to avoid them. (Truth be told, we all would.)

18 hours ago, headshuck said:

Search for “is musk a genius” and you’ll find hundreds of opinions on the topic from every media outlet on the planet.

... and this is surprising to you?

So, the evolution of this becomes - can you find hundreds of opinions on any topic on media outlets all over the planet for basically any topic with even a small amount of controversy?

Yes.

Next - so, the internet is split on anything that isn't obvious. And we are woefully divided on anything that could possibly divide us.

Yes.

Wait. So, the next part, where we are all constantly divided because we all arrive with different ideas already in mind - and then we all reference different media outlets and tend to believe the ones that agree with our existing ideas.

Yes.

It almost seems like the internet is basically a big disrupting machine that pits us all against each other.

Yes.

How do we get out of this repeating cycle?

Great question.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

On 7/7/2023 at 4:27 PM, Husker_Du said:

why do you guys so clearly and obviously want Elon to fail?

c'mon, say it. say it out loud.

sheep

Baa baaa baaa

The reason people want him to fail is due to others putting him on a pedestal as super human. It's the same reason people love to see Tom Brady lose football games. It's the same reason fans cheer when Spencer Lee loses. On top of that Musk is smug and cocky. There are people that love to see Bill Gates fail and relish in competitors to Microsoft. Just recently when Gates was going through a divorce there were some that were happy and celebrated this. The biggest difference in Gates and Musk is that Gates doesn't do much social media and isn't an attention whore.

There are certainly people out there that want YOU to fail with InterMat and MatScouts. People wanting those that are successful to fail is nothing new, it comes with the territory. Musk knows this and so do you. It is human nature to want those that are successful to fail as that brings them back to being human. There are very few people that are successful that do not have detractors. 

50 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Baa baaa baaa

The reason people want him to fail is due to others putting him on a pedestal as super human. It's the same reason people love to see Tom Brady lose football games. It's the same reason fans cheer when Spencer Lee loses. On top of that Musk is smug and cocky. There are people that love to see Bill Gates fail and relish in competitors to Microsoft. Just recently when Gates was going through a divorce there were some that were happy and celebrated this. The biggest difference in Gates and Musk is that Gates doesn't do much social media and isn't an attention whore.

There are certainly people out there that want YOU to fail with InterMat and MatScouts. People wanting those that are successful to fail is nothing new, it comes with the territory. Musk knows this and so do you. It is human nature to want those that are successful to fail as that brings them back to being human. There are very few people that are successful that do not have detractors. 

Laughing at the failure plus hubris of another is as American as apple pie.  Hell, every four years, most members of the losing party in the presidency pretend that they're rooting for the winning party to succeed, but they all revel in the failures of that winning party.

16 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Laughing at the failure plus hubris of another is as American as apple pie.  Hell, every four years, most members of the losing party in the presidency pretend that they're rooting for the winning party to succeed, but they all revel in the failures of that winning party.

Of course, as soon as the sworn enemy sneezes the other party is claiming failure, failure!

4 hours ago, BobDole said:

Baa baaa baaa

uhh, i don't think so.

The Elon hatefest occurred exactly at the time he was talking about buying Twitter b/c it was a corrupt leftist mouthpiece and they blocked and censored legit science and information.

Elon: I believe in free speech

The Left: this can't happen! twitter will become a haven for hate speech and misinformation

Two months later: The White House is guilty of pushing and pulling messaging on Twitter

don't get it twisted. The schadenfreud for Elon's Twitter had its genesis b/c the left wet their panties over a guy trying to make something less political and more open. 

• Fire 2

TBD

On 7/8/2023 at 5:31 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

I know you didn't ask me, but I don't view the Musk/Twitter acquisition through a political lense. I am in it for the humor and entertainment. It has elements of a greek tragedy centered on hubris. Will his hubris cost him? Or will he pull this off? Musk makes it impossible to look away.

He basically decided to buy Twitter on a whim because it seemed fun. Hell, his offer price was even a weed joke. You can argue that he bought it because as its greatest user he loved it more than its creator, and certainly more than it executives at the time.

Then when he realized he overpaid, or when he got bored, he tried to back out of the deal in the most hilarious way possible by declaring that the mDAU was inflated and he was somehow decieved. That he famously stated he was buying Twitter to get rid of the bots kinda invalidates the argument that he didn't know about the bots, but more importantly the argument would never have worked as a matter of contract law.

I was even really hoping he would refuse to pay up, because there is a concept in merger law called specific performance where the court could force him to buy Twitter. Saying that on paper and making someone buy a company against their will are two very different things (though it has happened) and it would have been highly entertaining to see Musk's reaction.

Instead, I have to rely on Musk overpaying, and then instantly going out of his way to decrease the value of the asset he just bought for my entertainment. I say. I say bravo, sir, bravo.

yeah, that's not an accurate picture. but whatever. 

they were haggling over a price and Musk did what any good businessman would do.

that is not to say that the deal was a good investment, but if you're going to buy something you're gonna haggle.

it should also be noted that whatever the 'value' of Twitter was and is now, it never made money.

i love twitter, but as a product idk that i'd want to own it as there's not really a proven financial model behind it. 

alternatively, FB makes money hand over fist with paid advertising and selling your data. 

TBD

8 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

uhh, i don't think so.

The Elon hatefest occurred exactly at the time he was talking about buying Twitter b/c it was a corrupt leftist mouthpiece and they blocked and censored legit science and information.

The Left: this can't happen! twitter will become a haven for hate speech and misinformation

Two months later: The White House is guilty of pushing and pulling messaging on Twitter

don't get it twisted. The schadenfreud for Elon's Twitter had its genesis b/c the left wet their panties over a guy trying to make something less political and more open. 

The latest is the FBI aiding Ukrainian intelligence's effort to get Twitter to ban journalists and hand over their user data... Twitter did not comply, but I'd be willing to bet Meta and Youtube did.

9 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

uhh, i don't think so.

I grew to strongly dislike him when he was selling snake oil in my city by offering to dig a really big hole... that already existed. But it would go to O'Hare quickly! Except nothing happened except Musk hustling a civic enterprise out of money.

He's got his money and his RPITW title. But he's still a huckster and utilized the Twitter acquisition as a masterclass in discretionary misdirection.

i am an idiot on the internet

11 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

uhh, i don't think so.

This is just repeating back the things Elon claims to be true as truth.  In practice, he's censoring more than the previous regime, including in other countries where he is censoring wildly where the previous regime used to fight the censorship demands in the courts.  In his time at Twitter he has had multiple scandals surrounding his alleged "free speech absolutism" (the aforementioned demands from governments like India and Turkey; the banning of multiple independent journalists for discussing his other banning of the "Elon Jet" account, his current campaign against the term "cis" which he has unilaterally decided is a slur, etc.)

As to what Twitter was censoring before Musk took over, "legit science and information" is your interpretation of it, but the wide, wide majority of the scientific and medical community disagree with you (presuming you're talking about the vaccines, if not please specify what you're talking about). 

You feel it's "less political" because the new guy conforms more with your political alignment.  Ask the people in India or Turkey how open they find it.

And to be clear on ALL of the above:  that's his right.  It's a private company that he owns.  But the rest of that is, as the Big Guy says, malarkey.

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

This is just repeating back the things Elon claims to be true as truth.  In practice, he's censoring more than the previous regime, including in other countries where he is censoring wildly where the previous regime used to fight the censorship demands in the courts.  In his time at Twitter he has had multiple scandals surrounding his alleged "free speech absolutism" (the aforementioned demands from governments like India and Turkey; the banning of multiple independent journalists for discussing his other banning of the "Elon Jet" account, his current campaign against the term "cis" which he has unilaterally decided is a slur, etc.)

As to what Twitter was censoring before Musk took over, "legit science and information" is your interpretation of it, but the wide, wide majority of the scientific and medical community disagree with you (presuming you're talking about the vaccines, if not please specify what you're talking about). 

You feel it's "less political" because the new guy conforms more with your political alignment.  Ask the people in India or Turkey how open they find it.

And to be clear on ALL of the above:  that's his right.  It's a private company that he owns.  But the rest of that is, as the Big Guy says, malarkey.

Yeah, in order to get the money he conforms to the payer’s demands.  Just like “the Big Guy.”

Edited by Offthemat

8 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

he banned it? as in, you literally can't post it?

also, do you know the origins of the word? 

Of "cis" or of "cisgender"?  Cisgender seems to date back to a 1994 researcher named Dana Defosse as a neutral term.  The term "cis" is a Latin prefix meaning "on this side".

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/cisgender-meaning

Are 'cisgender,' 'cisgendered,' and 'cis' slurs?

A slur is a word or phrase that is intended to insult or disparage someone. A term that is neutral can become a slur over time, but our current evidence shows that cisgender and its variants are overwhelmingly used neutrally.