Guys back from injury and redshirt

flyingcement

26 minutes ago, Idaho said:

A fly under the radar kind of guy... Utah Valley NQ Haiden Drury at 133. 

If he stays with the same trajectory as Orine, he is right in the thick to AA this season.  Good eye.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

13 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

It's "Fernandes."

Add Loew (197 AA in 2022), Greg Diakomihalis (who may or may not be able to beat Ungar), and Yapoujian at 157 for Cornell.  Also Josh Saunders at who-knows-what weight and if he can even make the team.

Big Red has impressive depth in addtion to their rock stars.  The program has been hitting on all cylinders.  Do not see them slowing down even with Yianni out of eligibility.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

can geog hold 184? isn't that the question?

I don't think it is the question.  The question is does he take out Hoffman or does Hoffman hit the back 40 a year early.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Navy has some good guys coming off redshirt , Danny Wask is the big one he ll be 157 I think , they also have Evan Tallamadge a NJ state champ whose cousins with the Santielllos and I thought they had also had a heavyweight recruit too but I can’t remember who or find anything on it 

• Fire 2

On 5/16/2023 at 12:53 PM, MPhillips said:

Bouzakis

Shumate

Geog

Feldman

You could probably add Brendan McCrone’s name to that coming off redshirt list for the Bucks.

He’s gotta be the odds on favorite (maybe, I think??) to be Ohio State’s 125 pounder next year, that is unless they pull some miracle 125 pound grad transfer out of their Azzzzzz last minute (since the underclass portal is now closed).

The only logic that would make any sense to me for Vinny Kilkeary to get the nod instead would be because Ben Davino is coming too right behind Kilkeary, and both are coming in for the 125 class… 133 is completely filled and actually overcrowded, at least for the next few seasons.

So if Tom Ryan envisions Davino being the future at 125, and Kilkeary more of a depth/swing type guy in his future role with the team, it would make sense to give Kilkeary a shot and at least 1 year at the weight until Davino arrives on campus the following year and see what Kilkeary’s got.

Then he could redshirt Davino and have Kilkeary man 125 for his first 2 seasons, and Kilkeary could take his redshirt in his 3rd year while Davino takes over 125 as a redshirt freshman.

That scenario would allow 133 and Bouzakis/Mendez 3 years to grow and move up a weight class or 2 prospectively and if that were the case there could potentially be room for both Davino and Kilkeary in the lineup at the same time down the road. 

Unfortunately for Kilkeary however, I would be surprised to see Davino not man 125 right out the gate as a true freshman and take advantage of the stacked roster he’s coming in behind in search obviously for a team title.

So Kilkeary could go 125 his freshman year, redshirt his 2nd year, and would just have to see how things turn out lineup wise that 3rd year coming off redshirt.

That should be one of Ohio State’s more intriguing wrestle offs too if they do in fact pit McCrone and Kilkeary up against each other for that 125 spot.

And also Andre Gonzalez you would think would try and put himself in this mix considering 125 next year is BY FAR AND AWAY his best chance and opportunity to crack this lineup… but apparently that’s not an option and not a consideration according to Tom Ryan himself.

He recently said emphatically in an interview on Flo Gonzalez will never go 125 again, and will be a part of that crowded 133 weight class at Ohio State next year and for the foreseeable future.

• Fire 1

On 5/16/2023 at 2:52 PM, nhs67 said:

Pine.

Many already are speculating next year’s 2023-2024 season will be Carson Kharchla’s last year wrestling for Ohio State and competing in Folkstyle.

From all reports he just does not love college wrestling and folkstyle, and prefers freestyle much more and is eager to get started in that next phase of his wrestling career.

Now in full disclosure here, this is second hand info, but it’s second hand info that’s been given out by about 100 original hands who are all saying the same.

Carson really needs to get healthy, and there is also continuous debate on whether he got bad advice in not surgically repairing his knee.

His knee issue has literally turned Carson from a likely NCAA champ (potential for multiple his college career) to a hopeful blood round guy overnight who just AAing now will be surprising.

Whether it’s injured, or whether he simply has just lost an enormous amount of flexibility he once had in his knee.. Kharchla’s reaction time to defending even a simple single leg makes him appear like he’s trying to do so in mud.

He was never cat quick but his leg attack defense was elite the second he stepped on campus… it was very difficult to watch and see how easy it was for his opponents to not only get a leg, but convert and score rather quickly seemingly overnight.

Kharchla was also very noticeable in giving up positions and conceding the 2 because it was obviously his knee wasn’t allowing him to do what he normally was able to do when defending just a season before.

I’m a huge fan of his and I hope to god all Carson needs is rest and he comes out brand new and like the Carson of a few years ago next season... but unless he surgically repairs the knee.. I think it’s gonna be just like how we saw last year, but even so, and I’ll still be rooting for him every match and be proud and glad he’s a Buckeye!

• Fire 1

20 minutes ago, BFosr1 said:

You could probably add Brendan McCrone’s name to that coming off redshirt list for the Bucks.

It's already been noted.

Posted Tuesday at 12:07 PM
125 - Kilkeary/McCrone - Malik is done and Gonzales is too big according to Tom. McCrone (RSFR) was a 15-4 RS and probably gets to go, at the start anyway. No idea how Kilkeary will do, but he's a quality recruit, three timer out of Latrobe and if he's better we know Ryan will start a freshman. 

133 - Bouzakis/Gonzales - This will be Bouzakis' (RSFR) weight. He was 11-1 as a RS. Beat #6 Biscoglia(UNI) only loss up at 141 to Crook(VT). U20 WT member. AA

141 - Mendez/D'Emilio - It sounds like Mendez is going to RS and junior D'Emilio will be here. Although if Sasso moves up, D'Emilio might follow. I believe the weight cut for both is a struggle. He was 20-14 last season but came on at the end and finished 8th. AA

149 - Sasso/D'Emilio - What Sasso (SR) does here will decide what happens at 141, 149, 157 and impact 165. I believe Sasso can win at 149(no slight to Lovett who returns from RS).  Sammy struggled with the cut early in the season and then looked great when it mattered. He was 29-3. Sasso wins at 149. NC

157 - Sasso/Paddy/Wilcox - If Gallagher (SO) is here I foresee a similar season to last year.  He improved towards the end of the season and if he can finish his shots he'll be in a much better position to win those close matches he lost. He lost ten matches by two points or less. If Sasso moves up, Paddy nor Wilcox (JR) may not have a spot.  R12

165 - Hepner/Paddy - I believe this is Hepner's (RSSO) spot. Had wins over Kharchla (wrestle off) and Amine (I know, I know coming off an injury) last season.  Had some nice wins season before; Mayora, Lamar, Chumbley, Slivka. I like Hepner and I think he surprises a bunch of folks. R12

174 - Kharch - (JR) Weight cut and injuries had Carson hamstrung most of last season. He just wasn't what we expected. I was worried it was HEW and I'm still not 100% convinced. 174 should help make life a bit better for him. Healthy and happy he's back on the podium. AA

184 - Shumate - (RSFR) Seth was a big recruit that many folks have cooled on. He was 12-2 wrestling unattached last season. If Geog stays at 197 I believe this spot belongs to Shumate. NQ

197 - Geog/Hoffman/Stein - Similar to 157/165 someone gets left out. I like Geog (RSFR) and I'm ready to see him as a starter. But there is Hoffman (SR) here as well.  I don't see anyway Stein makes the lineup. Talk of Geog dropping to 184 and Hoffman at 197 seems ideal but I'm pretty certain Geog is too big to go down. NQ

285 - Feldman - (RSFR) Buckeye fans have been waiting for Nick for a long time it seems. Injury and then neck surgery held him out of 2023. He's going to be, "small" for a HVY but he's built like an armoire was an U20 WT member, Jr. Hodge trophy winner, number three overall recruit and number one heavyweight recruit in 2022. I believe he'll adjust okay to big guys while hitting some bumps along the way.  AA

I want to believe OSU will gain the points lost from Smith and Romero and a RS Mendez with Kharch, Bouzakis and Feldman. An AA from D'Emilio and maybe a run from Paddy and/or Geog hopefully get the Buckeyes back on the podium.  

Edited by MPhillips
  • Fire 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also forgot to mention Spencer Moore coming back from a sophomore year redshirt for the Tarheels.  Notably, Moore finished high school earlier than usual so that he could attend college early.  He started for North Carolina at 125 as a 17 year old freshman and, while he struggled at times, showed grit and improvement through the year.  

Some names I dont think were noted yet 

Sheldon Seymour (LEH)

Troy Spratley (OKST)

Garrett Grice (ISU)

Ryan Crookham (LEH)

Zeke Seltzer (MIZZ)

Tagen Jamison (OKST)

Willie McDougald (OU)

Jude Swisher (PENN)

Mitch Mesenbrink (PSU)

MJ Gaitan (ISU)

Clayton Whiting (MIZZ)

Dylan Fishback (NCST)

TJ Stewart (VT)

Wyatt Voelker (UNI)

Chase Horne (NCST)

Harley Andrews (NEB)

Dayton Pitzer (PITT)

On 5/18/2023 at 7:50 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

Navy has some good guys coming off redshirt , Danny Wask is the big one he ll be 157 I think , they also have Evan Tallamadge a NJ state champ whose cousins with the Santielllos and I thought they had also had a heavyweight recruit too but I can’t remember who or find anything on it 

How does Navy RS guys? I've NEVER heard of this before. I thought it was a strict 4 and done. 

I mean, the athletics is a distance 2nd compared to...just EVERYTHING else...

3 hours ago, scourge165 said:

How does Navy RS guys? I've NEVER heard of this before. I thought it was a strict 4 and done. 

I mean, the athletics is a distance 2nd compared to...just EVERYTHING else...

All of the military academies have prep schools they often send incoming freshman to for a year.   For the Naval academy it is NAPS located in Newport RI.  I think they send a lot of incoming kids there to see if the military life is a good fit for them - it seems a lot of athletes go that route.  Once you start at the academy you are right it is usually 4 and done.  On the good note for the recruits I believe the clock starts for their service as soon as the enter the prep school.

• Fire 1

USAFA has the prep school, located on the south side of the USAFA campus. One of my employees used to be the superintendent there. Don’t know what kind of obligation kids have when they go there or if they owe years if they decide to leave. But, effectively a RS, all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Fire 1

On 5/20/2023 at 1:38 PM, BFosr1 said:

Many already are speculating next year’s 2023-2024 season will be Carson Kharchla’s last year wrestling for Ohio State and competing in Folkstyle.

From all reports he just does not love college wrestling and folkstyle, and prefers freestyle much more and is eager to get started in that next phase of his wrestling career.

Now in full disclosure here, this is second hand info, but it’s second hand info that’s been given out by about 100 original hands who are all saying the same.

Carson really needs to get healthy, and there is also continuous debate on whether he got bad advice in not surgically repairing his knee.

His knee issue has literally turned Carson from a likely NCAA champ (potential for multiple his college career) to a hopeful blood round guy overnight who just AAing now will be surprising.

Whether it’s injured, or whether he simply has just lost an enormous amount of flexibility he once had in his knee.. Kharchla’s reaction time to defending even a simple single leg makes him appear like he’s trying to do so in mud.

He was never cat quick but his leg attack defense was elite the second he stepped on campus… it was very difficult to watch and see how easy it was for his opponents to not only get a leg, but convert and score rather quickly seemingly overnight.

Kharchla was also very noticeable in giving up positions and conceding the 2 because it was obviously his knee wasn’t allowing him to do what he normally was able to do when defending just a season before.

I’m a huge fan of his and I hope to god all Carson needs is rest and he comes out brand new and like the Carson of a few years ago next season... but unless he surgically repairs the knee.. I think it’s gonna be just like how we saw last year, but even so, and I’ll still be rooting for him every match and be proud and glad he’s a Buckeye!

I was wondering if his issues were related to his injury... Sounds like it was. Hope he's able to heal up and get back on the path he was on in years past.