Steveson is actually back!?!?

On 4/15/2023 at 4:48 PM, jross said:

Think of these guys not as athletes but as characters in the show that represent components of the zeitgeist for the people who watch WWE (mainly disgruntled men).  Why was Angle a great character for that show at the time? It wasn't just that he was an Olympic champion-He was a throwback to the era in which pro wrestling was largely a USA vs Enemy show (e.g. USSR, Iran, etc). Wrestling fans in the 70s/80s waved the flag and there was a clear enemy. Angle was an American "hero," who showed up at a time when the fanbase was becoming more isolated from the mainstream of the country-there no longer was that enemy. So he was the perfect antivillian-where the fans could show their dislike for a character who was supposed to be loved.   (There is a great article about this shift in Pro wrestling over the years, but I can't find it).

So what does Gable represent in the WWE story? The Angle angle is played out. In theory, you'd think he could be another Lesnar type-where Lesnar is just an absolute monster and represents a genetic freak/incredible athlete.  Except Gable doesn't look like that at all, and actual skill/real athleticism doesn't matter at all.  So what is the point of Gable being on WWE? The current Zeitgeist is still populist/anti-establishment, but Logan Paul has seized that. How is Gable close to as compelling a character as the Paul brothers, KSI, etc, who represent the current heel of the wrestling fan (influencers/mainstream popular celebrities)?  What does Gable's character represent?

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Think of these guys not as athletes but as characters in the show that represent components of the zeitgeist for the people who watch WWE (mainly disgruntled men).  Why was Angle a great character for that show at the time? It wasn't just that he was an Olympic champion-He was a throwback to the era in which pro wrestling was largely a USA vs Enemy show (e.g. USSR, Iran, etc). Wrestling fans in the 70s/80s waved the flag and there was a clear enemy. Angle was an American "hero," who showed up at a time when the fanbase was becoming more isolated from the mainstream of the country-there no longer was that enemy. So he was the perfect antivillian-where the fans could show their dislike for a character who was supposed to be loved.   (There is a great article about this shift in Pro wrestling over the years, but I can't find it).

So what does Gable represent in the WWE story? The Angle angle is played out. In theory, you'd think he could be another Lesnar type-where Lesnar is just an absolute monster and represents a genetic freak/incredible athlete.  Except Gable doesn't look like that at all, and actual skill/real athleticism doesn't matter at all.  So what is the point of Gable being on WWE? The current Zeitgeist is still populist/anti-establishment, but Logan Paul has seized that. How is Gable close to as compelling a character as the Paul brothers, KSI, etc, who represent the current heel of the wrestling fan (influencers/mainstream popular celebrities)?  What does Gable's character represent?

Are you a fan of WWE?

On 4/13/2023 at 4:38 AM, billyhoyle said:

In WWE, actual wrestling talent means nothing compared to being a character like Logan Paul or roided-up like Lesnar.  Gable is an incredible wrestler, but maybe not what WWE is looking for.  

Random thought in relation to your post... Lesnar had a very similar physique while he was wrestling in the NCAA... Do you think he was on roids at this time? 

1 minute ago, pokemonster said:

Random thought in relation to your post... Lesnar had a very similar physique while he was wrestling in the NCAA... Do you think he was on roids at this time? 

I feel like he was built a lot better in college.  Dan Gable said "When Lesnar takes off his shirt, he turns more heads than a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader."

2 hours ago, mspart said:

From college:

image.jpeg.cdd3145400fc4154f1fb6e1c0f9eb245.jpeg

mspart

What is the same meaning of frightening?
Frighten, alarm, scare, terrify, terrorize, appall all mean to arouse fear in people or animals.

Okay... I'll use "frightening" in this application.

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

6 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Capture.0.jpg

OKAY... you can play at home, boys & girls!

Which of these two, is a reigning Olympic champion?

😉You got 10 seconds...

D3

• Haha 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

8 hours ago, pokemonster said:

I find it almost impossible to believe he didn't take serious anabolic steroids at some point prior to entering UofM but, it doesn't necessarily mean he was taking them in-season while competing for the Gophers. 

It is also reasonable to speculate that Gable might want to wait until his Olympic career is over before he starts taking the WWE vitamins...

Edited by Theo Brixton

On 4/18/2023 at 2:18 AM, billyhoyle said:

Couture is a great example of excelling at the highest level in two sports.  Hendricks Jones, and Lesnar were not at the world level in wrestling, and Lesnar is exceptionally rare in that he is the perfect type for WWE. Ever since Lesnar went from 171 to 285 pounds, he was ready for stardom in WWE. Also, Hendricks and Couture both rose to success at a different era in MMA, when it was an actual sport that highlighted the best athletes.  Now it is all about who can be the biggest clown. 

Did couture have any international achievements?  I know he was a national team member, but don't think he ever medaled in the worlds.

Cormier was a national team member for many years and made two Olympic teams, and I believe had at least one world bronze.

Couture was runner up twice in NCAAs.   He was on the world team 4 times placing 9th the last year he was on the team.  

Cormier runner up at NCAA.  Was US National champion 6 times and took bronze at world Championships. 

So both were very accomplished in wrestling before moving on to MMA.

mspart

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

I find it almost impossible to believe he didn't take serious anabolic steroids at some point prior to entering UofM but, it doesn't necessarily mean he was taking them in-season while competing for the Gophers. 

It is also reasonable to speculate that Gable might want to wait until his Olympic career is over before he starts taking the WWE vitamins...

My thoughts as well... A lot of us like to think college wrestling is clean, but I can't look at that physique and think he achieved that naturally, which begs the question, if he was on em, who else is? 

20 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

100%

46 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

My thoughts as well... A lot of us like to think college wrestling is clean, but I can't look at that physique and think he achieved that naturally, which begs the question, if he was on em, who else is? 

Who has shoulders that look like cannonballs?  Abnormally muscular shoulders and traps are a tell tell sign.

5 hours ago, pokemonster said:

It's pretty obvious if you just think back at some of the athletes who were good at one weight, then put on a significant amount of weight in a single offseason and suddenly got a lot better.  Maybe a 197 who goes up to 285 and dominates after being good at 197.  Or Somebody who jumps from 174 to 197 in a single season and can muscle everyone around without a problem.  Sometimes you even see it from 125 to 141-and sometimes those athletes go to MMA and later do test positive for steroids (like Lesnar).  

On 4/19/2023 at 6:53 PM, Mike Parrish said:

At what point does the UFC consume enough people like Ferarri and Paul and it becomes a 'I want to watch these guys eat fists' type of entertainment.

BTW, where's Downey?

He ate a fist

image.jpeg.90837027de7a967735019362b5e1c6b2.jpeg

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

i am an idiot on the internet