Session VI, Saturday PM Finals discussion

CHROMEBIRD

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Well, alright then, I missed all this drama by not going, lol. Who are they approaching? 

Good question. A better question might be: what holes are the guys being poached going to fill next year? It's not like they haven't been reloading all along with a strong recruitment program. Cael and co. certainly aren't desperate.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

He's reverse trolling.  It's pretty layered.  He's a Penn Statebfan pretending to be an Iowa fan pretending to be an Iowa fan.

... so he's everything that nobody wants him to be, yes?

D3

• Fire 1
  • Confused 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

Multiple guys. Guys and coaches I know have told me. Go ahead and say “names or it didn’t happen”. I’m not putting my buddies under the bus who told me 

Nah, I'm not demanding it.  I know how it goes.  Just wondering if you were free to share.

4 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

That’s actually why the transfer portal and blatant poaching PSU does… pisses me off so much (I know they have been straight up going up to guys at the tournament). It’s not just “well guys want to go there”

Theyre good coaches. So coach don’t poach

It’s not just Penn State though. Iowa has had way more high level transfers than Penn State in the last few years. For example, Woods, Desanto, Eierman. 

Penn State has Dean. Kerk never wrestled in another singlet so I’m not sure he can be considered poached. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

Good question. A better question might be: what holes are the guys being poached going to fill next year? It's not like they haven't been reloading all along with a strong recruitment program. Cael and co. certainly aren't desperate.

I would guess 125, 133, and 197 (or 184 if Brooks moves up. )

Just mad props to the 165 field for the last two years of superstar wars.  Top notch guys going at it in the strongest weight class, no ducking.  Wick gave Griffith four shots last year; Carr gave O'Toole three this year.  High scoring matches, impeccable sportsmanship.  And for KOT to come through with convincing wins over national champs two years in a row positions him as a potential all time great.

• Fire 2

Just now, Pa in Taiwan said:

I don't know, dude. Look at the performers this year: the finalists RBY, Haines, Starrocci, and Brooks ALL started their collegiate careers at PSU. Kerk came over from the Ohio State U when Snyder moved to NLWC, so I don't consider that an outright poach. Bartlett and SVN, both third place finishers, also were recruited before freshman year. Not so much poaching, besides Dean. 

When theyre talking to guys the way I know they are. I look at it the same whether or not guys transfer. I actually look at other schools doing it askance too. 

Milner gets extra props from me for not leaving App State

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

It’s not just Penn State though. Iowa has had way more high level transfers than Penn State in the last few years. For example, Woods, Desanto, Eierman. 

Penn State has Dean. Kerk never wrestled in another singlet so I’m not sure he can be considered poached. 

I actually look at Iowa even more askance for their stuff because it’s pretty clear they’re doing it to address to deficits in coaching and training methods…

1 minute ago, Formally140 said:

When theyre talking to guys the way I know they are. I look at it the same whether or not guys transfer. I actually look at other schools doing it askance too. 

Milner gets extra props from me for not leaving App State

I personally know a ton of guys that have wrestled and do wrestle for John Mark Bentley. They have a lotttttt of loyalty to him. He gives kids a chance when no one else would (Milner was a 1 time North Carolina state champion). Those kids would do just about anything for him. It’s why they don’t leave. I knew Austin Trotman well back in the day and was the first one that started that ball rolling. 

3 minutes ago, dragit said:

Just mad props to the 165 field for the last two years of superstar wars.  Top notch guys going at it in the strongest weight class, no ducking.  Wick gave Griffith four shots last year; Carr gave O'Toole three this year.  High scoring matches, impeccable sportsmanship.  And for KOT to come through with convincing wins over national champs two years in a row positions him as a potential all time great.

3 minutes ago, dragit said:

I feel like 65 is always the deepest weight with the most talent year in and year out