Cal State Bakersfield's wrestling program

NearFall

I'm not generally in favor of NCAA wrestling programs being dropped but in the case of Cal State Bakersfield I think it needs to be considered.

This season in their five Pac 12 wrestling matches against Arizona State, Cal Poly, Little Rock, Oregon State and Stanford they have been outscored 180 to 22 in those five duals and have an 0-5 W/L record in those five PAC 12 duals this season.  This week they lost 42-0 to Arizona State.   One week ago they lost 43-0 to Stanford.  They week before that dual with Stanford they lost 30-6 to Little Rock and also lost to Cal Poly 22-12.    The week before those two PAC 12 dual losses they lost 43-4 to Oregon State.  They aren't just losing conference dual matches they are being embarrassed (or at least they SHOULD be embarrassed).

Their overall dual record this season is 1-11 with the only win being a win over Central Michigan (21-16).

They don't even appear to be trying to improve.

Anyone in the know please correct me if I am wrong.

I do believe Bakersfield has some restrictions placed on their program that make things difficult.  For example I believe that a percentage of their roster must be from California, possibly even the Bakersfield area.

Bakersfield has a storied past, I hope they can get things moving in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, Warm Up Champ said:

Anyone in the know please correct me if I am wrong.

I do believe Bakersfield has some restrictions placed on their program that make things difficult.  For example I believe that a percentage of their roster must be from California, possibly even the Bakersfield area.

Bakersfield has a storied past, I hope they can get things moving in the right direction.

Their entire roster is from California but I'm not sure if that's just by chance 

Maybe they should go back to D2. Anybody remember Darryl Pope and his match against Rico Chiapparelli? 

Not possible. Whole institution is D1 now. Never. ever. Accept dropping a program. It’s more than just winning, too. They’re in a bad spot but it’s not impossible to dig out. Not in wrestling’s culture to just quit on something when it’s hard. I won’t accept that as an option. None of us should.
  • Fire 8

Insert catchy tagline here. 

2 hours ago, NearFall said:

I'm not generally in favor of NCAA wrestling programs being dropped but in the case of Cal State Bakersfield I think it needs to be considered.

This season in their five Pac 12 wrestling matches against Arizona State, Cal Poly, Little Rock, Oregon State and Stanford they have been outscored 180 to 22 in those five duals and have an 0-5 W/L record in those five PAC 12 duals this season.  This week they lost 42-0 to Arizona State.   One week ago they lost 43-0 to Stanford.  They week before that dual with Stanford they lost 30-6 to Little Rock and also lost to Cal Poly 22-12.    The week before those two PAC 12 dual losses they lost 43-4 to Oregon State.  They aren't just losing conference dual matches they are being embarrassed (or at least they SHOULD be embarrassed).

Their overall dual record this season is 1-11 with the only win being a win over Central Michigan (21-16).

I'm not generally in favor of wrestling posters being dropped but in the case of NearFall I think it needs to be considered.

• Fire 5
  • Haha 3

Just now, SetonHallPirate said:

I'm not generally in favor of wrestling posters being dropped but in the case of NearFall I think it needs to be considered.

Haha... I was just typing the exact same thing.... 

Bakersfield has to self fund the program.... they have had a turn over in coaches that get little support.... but here they are still wrestling.  They have a tough go just keeping the program afloat...anyone doing that deserves huge kudos and the entire wrestling communities support. The last thing any wrestling fan or coach wants to see is a dropped program....And I thought you were a Pac 12 supporter "NearFall"

• Fire 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

5 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Haha... I was just typing the exact same thing.... 

Bakersfield has to self fund the program.... they have had a turn over in coaches that get little support.... but here they are still wrestling.  They have a tough go just keeping the program afloat...anyone doing that deserves huge kudos and the entire wrestling communities support. The last thing any wrestling fan or coach wants to see is a dropped program....And I thought you were a Pac 12 supporter "NearFall"

Classic case of great minds thinking alike.

It isn't that long ago (2016) that CSU Bakersfield won the Pac-12 regular season title.

• Fire 1

ASU, Stanford and Oregon State and Cal Poly are all pretty decent (at least).  Little Rock looks to be the only “bad” loss.  But they beat CMU?  Can’t be that bad then

28 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Classic case of great minds thinking alike.

It isn't that long ago (2016) that CSU Bakersfield won the Pac-12 regular season title.

Yep.... and two of their coaches that had great success there, including their head coach Mendoza,  went to Boise State only to get axed in a year. Mendoza could have had a good think going if he had stayed.... but a head coach can only do so much fundraising before getting burned out.  

2 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Not possible. Whole institution is D1 now. Never. ever. Accept dropping a program. It’s more than just winning, too. They’re in a bad spot but it’s not impossible to dig out. Not in wrestling’s culture to just quit on something when it’s hard. I won’t accept that as an option. None of us should.

The toxic ass dad coach attitude of discarding or looking down on anything not immediately or currently good is killing sport

How many D1 teams would exist if we killed off every program that wasn't successful? Wrestling is about more than what goes in the W-L column. Those kids at Bakersfield are going out and competing, maybe even enjoying it despite what you think, bettering themselves as humans while getting an education. Lay off of Bakersfield, bro.

California has some great wrestling because the state is enormous and has both ends which I have seen as likely though very different paths to wrestling:

1. Those who live in rural and working class areas, particularly around Bakersfield, Clovis, and Fresno.

2. Those who are super wealthy and have ability and willingness to pay exorbitant monthly team fees in LA county or SF

CS Bakersfield may be having a tough time now but there are many paths toward relative success. I like them a lot, and root for the dude Chance Rich 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Who jas CMU beat? Let's get rid of them too.

CMU has beaten Northern Illinois (among others)

Northern Illinois has beaten Cal Baptist (among others)

Cal Baptist has beaten Wyoming (among others)

Wyoming has beaten Utah Valley

Utah Valley has beaten Northern Colorado (among others)

Northern Colorado has beaten Cal Poly (among others)

Cal Poly has beaten ArIzona State (among others)

Arizona State has beaten Missouri (among others)

Missouri should probably drop their program

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

CMU has beaten Northern Illinois (among others)

Northern Illinois has beaten Cal Baptist (among others)

Cal Baptist has beaten Wyoming (among others)

Wyoming has beaten Utah Valley

Utah Valley has beaten Northern Colorado (among others)

Northern Colorado has beaten Cal Poly (among others)

Cal Poly has beaten ArIzona State (among others)

Arizona State has beaten Missouri (among others)

Missouri should probably drop their program

QED

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

12 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Can we engage Stephen Neal in this discussion, somehow?   He was instrumental in keeping the program afloat years ago when CSUB wanted to drop wrestling:

https://news.csub.edu/the-remarkable-improbable-career-of-stephen-neal   

He is in charge of Alumni relations and helps raise money for the program. He is still instrumental in keeping it afloat. Impressive to see him still involved and helping that program. 

• Fire 1

Of note, Cal Bakersfield, while having great tradition, has never had good funding, and back during its Div. 2 days, was known for doing big things with very little:

"Such budget-consciousness has helped Gonzales fit right in at Cal State Bakersfield, a small (enrollment: 2,359) commuter school with little money for athletics. [Joe]Seay, 42, a former national 149.5-pound champ from Wellington, Kans., started the school's wrestling program in 1972 with such limited funds that his team had to train in a science lab and his wife had to do all the wrestlers' laundry. Even now the school lacks a weight room and has a pitifully tiny wrestling room and so few wrestling scholarships that Seay, an exceptional coach, has to recruit athletes impoverished enough to qualify for general scholarships, which is what Gonzales had. "The school thinks they could throw us out onto the grass and we'd still win," says 158-pound senior Perry Shea, who's one of the four Division II champions on this year's team. "They're probably right." 

https://vault.si.com/vault/1982/05/03/gonzo-man-on-the-go

• Fire 1