Iowa vs. Minnesota thread

SocraTease

how's the siebrecht - brayton bout go?
i couldn't watch and replay isn't up yet. Brayton really struggling

Siebrecht went double unders and put Brayton to his back almost instantly, rode him for the whole period, and then it was a whole bunch of nothing from there. Brayton got in on some deep shots late but never really threatened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

how's the siebrecht - brayton bout go?

i couldn't watch and replay isn't up yet. Brayton really struggling

Still struggling - Brayton is having a tough year. None of them are easy, but this one is a bit more tough. Not easy for any of these guys.

He'll be fine come B1G's

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

3 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Man, if Spencer Lee was so vulnerable and gassed you would think the #6 ranked wrestler would be able to take advantage of that! 

"Oh no, Spencer only beat his top 10 opponent by 6 and didn't give up any points besides an escape!"

All true.  I'd even underline that by noting that said top 10 opponent and former 3rd and 5th place NCAA finisher hit Lee with a blast double at the very end of the match when Lee was gassed -- and still couldn't score, Lee is so good that he, exhausted, still fairly easily fended off a move that would have scored on anyone else.

But!  The big story to me wasn't Lee getting tired, looking a little ragged by his standards, and not getting bonus.  It's what, I thought, caused those results - in my opinion his right leg clearly didn't look right, worse than it's been this year.  He many times couldn't put it down properly, his movement and balance were materially impaired.  I don't see him as as prohibitive a favorite as I did a week or two ago.  

I think they should considering load managing for the next month, MFF in later rounds to Big Tens if necessary.  All the while acknowledging all I have to go on is what I see.  His medical situation is obviously complicated.

P.S.  If you are an Iowa fan, exactly how frustrating to you is Jacob Warner?  I've always stressed that in the end he does well for them when it matters most, but - Geez!!

3 hours ago, dragit said:

The big story to me wasn't Lee getting tired, looking a little ragged by his standards, and not getting bonus.  It's what, I thought, caused those results - in my opinion his right leg clearly didn't look right, worse than it's been this year.  He many times couldn't put it down properly, his movement and balance were materially impaired.  I don't see him as as prohibitive a favorite as I did a week or two ago.  

This seems reasonable. I'm wondering how Spencer Lee is going to put together three wins over quality opponents all on the same day. I will NOT be surprised to see him lose this year. I agree that he is one of the most dominant wrestlers in NCAA wrestling today, but when you shut down after one period the way he did against McKee, people start to wonder. How would he fare in the next match in a tournament? Lee can make all the excuses they want, and whine that McKee didn't score any takedowns, but the third period I just watched had one wrestler creating offense, and it wasn't Spencer Lee. My God, he was staggering. I'm amazed he wasn't dinged for stalling!

The earlier comment about Gilman resonates. Thomas Gilman DESTROYS this Spencer Lee. 

9 hours ago, dragit said:

All true.  I'd even underline that by noting that said top 10 opponent and former 3rd and 5th place NCAA finisher hit Lee with a blast double at the very end of the match when Lee was gassed -- and still couldn't score, Lee is so good that he, exhausted, still fairly easily fended off a move that would have scored on anyone else.

But!  The big story to me wasn't Lee getting tired, looking a little ragged by his standards, and not getting bonus.  It's what, I thought, caused those results - in my opinion his right leg clearly didn't look right, worse than it's been this year.  He many times couldn't put it down properly, his movement and balance were materially impaired.  I don't see him as as prohibitive a favorite as I did a week or two ago.  

I think they should considering load managing for the next month, MFF in later rounds to Big Tens if necessary.  All the while acknowledging all I have to go on is what I see.  His medical situation is obviously complicated.

P.S.  If you are an Iowa fan, exactly how frustrating to you is Jacob Warner?  I've always stressed that in the end he does well for them when it matters most, but - Geez!!

Warner is on a short list of guys that have all the tools but chose to wrestler so conservatively it’s like watching paint dry. If Warner is the president, Will Lewan is chairman of the board. 

11 minutes ago, Gus said:

Warner is on a short list of guys that have all the tools but chose to wrestler so conservatively it’s like watching paint dry. If Warner is the president, Will Lewan is chairman of the board. 

Warner / Varner way too similar to be a coincidence.  Minus the part where Varner wins championships.

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Anyone else find it odd that Iowa sent out three true freshman, two of which wrestled well above their weight, last night? 

Tom has a plan?  Ahh ... probably not. 

The HWT seems obvious, the dual was won.  Maybe Brands & Assad were dinged up and Salazar is a beast, prob did the math and couldve still wrestle Cass at HWT if needed. 

Plus ddm!

Just for fun I broke down the Flo Big Board rankings from each of last night's contestants (and probables in parenthesis) from their Senior year in high school.

NR= not ranked.

125  Spencer Lee #2, (Ybarra #16) vs. Pat McKee #38

133  Brody Teske #34, (Schreiver #66) vs. Jake Gliva NR,  (Nagao #69)

141  Real Woods #21 vs. Jacob Bergeland NR

149  Max Murin #44 vs. Michael Blockhus #44

157  Cobe Siebrecht NR vs. Brayton Lee #13

165  Patrick Kennedy #3 vs. Cael Carlson NR,  (Sparks NR)

174  Aiden Riggins #84, (Brands #94) vs. Bailee O'Reilly NR

184  Drake Rhodes NR, (Assad #13) vs. Isaiah Salazar #27

197  Jacob Warner #7 (Glazier #32) vs. Foy NR

Hwt  Bradley Hill #87 on MatScouts, (Cassioppi #14) vs. Joles NR

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Anyone else find it odd that Iowa sent out three true freshman, two of which wrestled well above their weight, last night? 

Heard there was illness going through the team. Not sure if that was a part of it or not. 

• Fire 1