Dark Horses

NotMikeMal

18 minutes ago, NotMikeMal said:

Anyone outside the top 10 at any weight to place. And go! 

*Leave out Gable and AJ punks 

I think Surber could be a dark horse.  He improved a lot thru the season as Fr HWT now down at natural weight, could see him making AA.  

Maybe Ryan Jack 141.

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Quaker118 said:

Doug Zapf from Penn had a strong freestyle season beating  Sasso and Ashnault. 

Didn't he start his career as a 133lber?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

The ILLINI have dark horses and some folks who are completely off the radar who could show up. The MSU Open on Saturday will be a coming out party for super young or new ILLINOIS wrestlers. Can't wait to see how they do. 

At 125, Maximo Renteria would've been a four-time Cali champ but for Covid cancelling his Senior year. Ironically, I believe it was Covid that screwed up his redshirt season leaving him with a terrible record. You could see the Covid hit him in the second period of his second match at last year's MSU Open. Poor fella gassed right off. He forfeited out of the tournament. In high school, besides the state championships, he ragdolled Dylan Ragusin and beat a four-time Mizzou state champ. With Cardani out or limited at the start of the season, we will see a lot of Maximo. I think he could be very good. 

At 141, Danny Pucino's been around for a bit, but hasn't started because of Carr and Duncan. In the free season two years ago, he did beat Dylan D'Emilio and the Wisconsin starter in duals when Duncan was out. He also beat Frankie Tal-Shahar in an extra match pretty handily. His toughest competition at the MSU Open looks to be D'Emilio, Jordan Decatur and Frankie Tal-Shahar--again ironically--and it could be a coming out party for him. He'd have to beat two of those guys, barring upsets, and that would place him as an obvious AA threat. On another note, he's wrestled for the Italian freestyle team at age group and Senior-level tournaments. He's fun, dangerous and exciting to watch. Four years left on his clock, too.

At 149, Kevon Davenport was a four-time Michigan state champ. He transferred from Nebraska stuck behind Ridge Lovett. I have no idea how he'll do this year, but he's beaten Dean Heil in freestyle, and he had a pretty good redshirt year with the stupid Cornhuskers. The good news for the ILLINI is that if he falters, there are a couple of other transfer guys who could make noise at the weight: Jake Harrier and Anthony Federico. Whoever wins the spot, I think, is gonna be a threat to AA. 

At 174 and 184, there are Edmond Ruth and Dylan Connell. Ruth seems to be enjoying life as an ILLINI, and who knows how good he can be. He entered two opens last year unattached and won them both. He'll have Demetrius Romero and Ethan Smith at the MSU Open, as well as some mid-level talent, so we'll get to see how far he's progressed. Again, the ILLINI have two guys waiting in the wings at this weight (Sizemore and Ernd). Connell was a four-time ILLINOIS state champ, total old school tough wrestler, rides hard, and had a very nice 25-6 record as a true freshman redshirt. He's a baby face and may need some adjustment time, but down the road....

• Fire 4

8 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

I'm going with Braxton Amos, he's going into the season with a clear mind knowing his Mom is doing great! 

Kids got all the tools to make an AA run! 

He's got everything except a natural weight class.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Sammy Alvarez now that he is up at 141 and not cutting too much due to Seabass transferring in. He had weight management and other issues the last two seasons which caused him not to have full seasons but is at his preferred weight now. Due to these circumstances he is being left off a lot of preseason lists but he should be surprising a lot of people this year.

Edited by Mike
  • Fire 1

13 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Didn't he start his career as a 133lber?

13 hours ago, Quaker118 said:

Zapf won states as a junior at 103. 2nd as a senior at 112. Started at Penn at 141, then 149, then 157. Although Penn might be shaking things up this year with their lineup. We shall see. 

I remember Zapf starting as a Freshman in the 208-19 season at 133

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Amos at the top of my list as well.  Another 97 that I think could be a problem is Luke Stout.  Had some quality wins and no bad losses his freshman year.  If recovery goes well for Brands, he could get onto the podium at 74.    

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, HungusMungus said:

Would not be shocked if he's at 285 next season after Hilger leaves. 

They lost Copass to Purdue, but do you see Amos beating out Christensen? He would be the starter at so many other schools and it's awesome he chose the path he wanted but it's a real shame we didn't get to see him compete 4 years.

i am an idiot on the internet

43 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

They lost Copass to Purdue, but do you see Amos beating out Christensen? He would be the starter at so many other schools and it's awesome he chose the path he wanted but it's a real shame we didn't get to see him compete 4 years.

I think he does beat Christensen, However I clearly remember Amos say when he got to UW he was 197 committed for his time there...so we will see. 

125 - Sam Noto (Lock Haven)

133 - Wyatt Henson (Oklahoma)

141 - Ryan Jack (NC State)

149 - Quinn Kinner (Rider)

157 - Paddy Gallagher (tOSU)

165 - Kennedy (Iowa)

174 - Ruth (Illinois)

184 - Assad (Iowa)

197 - Sloan (SDState)

HWT - Hilger (Wisconsin)

• Fire 1

After actually reading what the definition of what 'dark horse' is I think most of what has been listed does not qualify.

A prime example is Zapf of Penn.  He was a darkhorse at the US Open earlier this year because he went in as a relative unknown - a requirement would be that 'little is known' about them.  Even though it was Freestyle and at 70 KG, he pushed Zain much more than anyone would have thought and he beat Sasso.  I don't think anyone would be surprised if he were to make the podium this year.

Several examples that @ILLINIWrestlingBlog said would be considered dark horses.  Not Ruth, because he has been a known name for a few years now.

I guess if the requirement is 'outside the top ten' then everyone listed works.  It doesn't make them a dark horse, though?

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

After actually reading what the definition of what 'darkhorse' is I think most of what has been listed does not qualify.

A prime example is Zapf of Penn.  He was a darkhorse at the US Open earlier this year because he went in as a relative unknown - a requirement would be that 'little is known' about them.  Even though it was Freestyle and at 70 KG, he pushed Zain much more than anyone would have that and he beat Sasso.  I don't think anyone would be surprised if he were to make the podium this year.

Several examples that @ILLINIWrestlingBlog said would be considered dark horses.  Not Ruth, because he has been a known name for a few years now.

I guess if the requirement is 'outside the top ten' then everyone listed works.  It doesn't make them a dark horse, though?

Agree.  Probably would make more sense to not include anyone that is ranked & blue chip recruits making their first start.  But when the questioned is phrased "anyone outside the top 10" it broadens who qualifies.  

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted