I Love The PSU Hatred

PortaJohn

Being the big dog is definitely fun.  But in your heart of hearts, while you enjoy seeing your team win, I can't imagine you truly enjoy watching most of the actual wrestling matches last night.  If you do, more power to you.  I know how I feel watching certain Iowa wrestlers.  Warner, last year, while I celebrated his accomplishment...brutal to watch.

38 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Being the big dog is definitely fun.  But in your heart of hearts, while you enjoy seeing your team win, I can't imagine you truly enjoy watching most of the actual wrestling matches last night.  If you do, more power to you.  I know how I feel watching certain Iowa wrestlers.  Warner, last year, while I celebrated his accomplishment...brutal to watch.

True - but I mostly blamed Iowa (at least 75-25) for the boredom.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Elevator said:

True - but I mostly blamed Iowa (at least 75-25) for the boredom.

Really?  Lets go weight by weight:

125:  Vespa took his shot early, but it was over shortly afte that, so I wouldn't put any boredom on this match.

133:  Teske's fault here.

141:  Woods didn't do a whole lot the last half of the match, but it was still mroe than Bartlett did, and Woods had the lead, plus Woods had all the action in the first half.

149:  Similar to Woods, Murin was the one attacking in the end with the lead, so I would put this on Van Ness

157:  Probably the most even match in terms of action, scrambles (generated off Haines shots) and Siebrecht looking for something big.  I didn't find this match boring, so nothing for me here.

165:  Kennedy doing almost all the work here, other than one nice duck attempt by Facundo.

174:  Neither guy did much, but Nelson did less,  I would go 60-40 for Nelson causing the boringness here; Starocci could have tried more.

184:  Not boring so much as one sided.  Rhodes was giving an effort, but obviously no shot.

197:  Kill me now, awful to watch.  50/50.

HWT:  Cass couldn't do much in the first half, Kerk didn't do anything in  the third.  The ride was....well, I've said I'm going to stop bitching about it, ti's just not going to get called.

So I don't agree with your 75-25 number, but to each their own.

• Fire 1

54 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

125:  Vespa took his shot early, but it was over shortly afte that, so I wouldn't put any boredom on this match.

NOTHING BORING HERE

99% IOWA

141:  Woods didn't do a whole lot the last half of the match, but it was still mroe than Bartlett did, and Woods had the lead, plus Woods had all the action in the first half.

CLOSE TO 50/50 - BUT WOODS ON TOP AND LATE MIGHT GIVE HIM 60/40

149:  Similar to Woods, Murin was the one attacking in the end with the lead, so I would put this on Van Ness

no - MURIN WRESTLED DEFENSIVELY ALMOST WHOLE MATCH (HE IS GOOD AT THIS) 80/20

157:  Probably the most even match in terms of action, scrambles (generated off Haines shots) and Siebrecht looking for something big.  I didn't find this match boring, so nothing for me here.

60% SIEBRECHT - NOT AS BORING AS MOST

165:  Kennedy doing almost all the work here, other than one nice duck attempt by Facundo.

NO - KENNEDY'S UNDERHOOK AND HANDFIGHTING VERY DEFENSIVE AND PREVENTED OFFENSE 80/20

174:  Neither guy did much, but Nelson did less,  I would go 60-40 for Nelson causing the boringness here; Starocci could have tried more.

MY GOODNESS NO - 99% BORDEOM KING NELSON BRANDS

184:  Not boring so much as one sided.  Rhodes was giving an effort, but obviously no shot.

OK

CLOSE - 60/40 WARNER - AT LEAST MAX SHOOTS AND TURNS GUYS, WARNER TRIES TO WIN THIS AND ALL MATCHES BY RIDING TIME AND MAYBE ONE BIG COUNTER. I SUSPECT HE HATES THE SPORT BY NOW AND THAT SEEMS TO COME THROUGH. HE SHOULD TRY FOOTBALL?

HWT:  Cass couldn't do much in the first half, Kerk didn't do anything in  the third.  The ride was....well, I've said I'm going to stop bitching about it, ti's just not going to get called.

FOR 285, THIS ONE WAS ONLY MODERATELY BORING WITH AN ACTUAL LEG ATTACKS

AT LEAST 70/30

No - you are on Hawkeye fantasy island 

55 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

... that's why I call 'em, The nits. 🤬

D3

ahh ... is it nits or nitts ...  🤔

I don't always dislike wrestling teams

but when I do 

I prefer to dislike the nitts & squawks 

Stay haters my friends.  

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I actually like PSU more than Iowa, but take 174 for example. You've got a guy who's won 2 Titles, on pace and the clear favorite to win a 3rd and could be the first 5X champ. He has 59 TDs and has given up 0 and he did very little. Brands was blocking...fine. One of the all-time greats(through his 3rd year) and he can't do more than win by a riding point on a guy who's barely top ~20? He can't get past Brands collar ties?

Penn State was just boring. So was Iowa, this was a terrible match for #1 vs #2. This isn't about being a PSU hater. 

I hate to think what would have happened if Brooks wasn't wrestling a 165 pounder(maybe 57 if he's walking around at 171) and Assad wrestled.

I think PSU has a chance for 6 Champs, 7 in the Semis or even finals(or did before last night, Bartlett was disappointing, but Woods is obviously a stud). 

But this was not like past Penn State squads. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, scourge165 said:

I actually like PSU more than Iowa, but take 174 for example. You've got a guy who's won 2 Titles, on pace and the clear favorite to win a 3rd and could be the first 5X champ. He has 59 TDs and has given up 0 and he did very little. Brands was blocking...fine. One of the all-time greats(through his 3rd year) and he can't do more than win by a riding point on a guy who's barely top ~20? He can't get past Brands collar ties?

Brands came into this match with a clear strategy, courtesy of Coach Brands. Slow the match as much as possible, stall as much as possible and don't give up points, and then try to steal it late with a Hail Mary takedown. Keep it a super low-scoring match. He almost succeeded. I agree with you that Starocci also contributed greatly to the snoozefest by wrestling a very conservative match. Perhaps Cael is to blame for this by telling him to make sure to get the W and not much more. 

In my neck of the woods, Taiwan, the match started at 10:30am. I got up and had to make a decision. Should I go climb Monkey Mountain on a beautiful, cool Saturday morning (Yes, your Friday night is my Saturday morning), or should I stay home and listen to the match on gopsusports radio broadcast. I decided to get outside and climb the mountain and come down and catch the end of the dual meet. I'm so glad that I did. I came down and immediately checked what was up. It was 174. I rode my scooter home and caught 197 and Hwt. on the online radio broadcast. I felt energized by my workout on the mountain and had zero regrets for missing this snoozefest of a dual meet live. 

I expect that B10s and the National Championships will feature some fireworks from both of these teams. 

• Fire 1

Regarding the "PSU hate" or the "Iowa hate", folks just need to learn to ignore that stuff. It's a feature of modern life, at least for people who stay connected to any kind of social media. I was curiously surprised to find that Iowa wrestling news started appearing on my Facebook page, and I took a look at some of the comments after the loss. To say that it was loaded with coulda, woulda and shouldas is an understatement. Another curious phenomenon was the total lack of understanding of folkstyle wrestling; it mostly consisted of "Go Hawks". I immediately snoozed it forever. I would do the same for a PSU wrestling news thread on my page. I'd rather come online here once in a while; at least some of the people understand wrestling a bit. 

1 hour ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

Brands came into this match with a clear strategy, courtesy of Coach Brands. Slow the match as much as possible, stall as much as possible and don't give up points, and then try to steal it late with a Hail Mary takedown. Keep it a super low-scoring match. He almost succeeded. I agree with you that Starocci also contributed greatly to the snoozefest by wrestling a very conservative match. Perhaps Cael is to blame for this by telling him to make sure to get the W and not much more. 

In my neck of the woods, Taiwan, the match started at 10:30am. I got up and had to make a decision. Should I go climb Monkey Mountain on a beautiful, cool Saturday morning (Yes, your Friday night is my Saturday morning), or should I stay home and listen to the match on gopsusports radio broadcast. I decided to get outside and climb the mountain and come down and catch the end of the dual meet. I'm so glad that I did. I came down and immediately checked what was up. It was 174. I rode my scooter home and caught 197 and Hwt. on the online radio broadcast. I felt energized by my workout on the mountain and had zero regrets for missing this snoozefest of a dual meet live. 

I expect that B10s and the National Championships will feature some fireworks from both of these teams. 

I don't think Cael is telling Starr to just worry about getting the Win at this point. Its the opposite of how his teams have wrestled since he got there. Starroci is on a level with Taylor and Zain, Ruth and any PSU Wrestler. I'm struggling to envision given how they wrestled...that he's saying, "just make sure you get the win," to a guy who that dominant vs a guy who...if his last name wasn't Brands, nobody would give him another thought. He's a fringe top 20 guy. I don't know that I remember PSU ever Wrestling like that and THIS wasn't the Iowa team that should have put must fear into PSU. Iowa was won more matches than I thought and it still wasn't that close. 

I'm sure it'll get much better in the B1Gs and the NCAAs. 

By the way, do you find a lot of people who are shocked when they found out about time zones? You said that like it was a SUPER wild concept! Happy you were...energized by the workout though. 

17 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Keep it coming fellas.  Will just make the NCAA team title feel that much better in March.

I dont think hatred. There the best. People will naturally go for underdog. I rooted for psu live in pa.

Last few years rooting against them. Underdog thing. They run great program. Cael has athletes on and off doing great things.  I cant root for iowa. But anyone else like see someonr else win. Was on Michigan train last year. Maybe ohio state  in few years.

Edited by cangemi

12 hours ago, scourge165 said:

He can't get past Brands collar ties?

You have to give Brands some credit for this as he is probably one of the few that could get away with slowing down the match so effectively - ususally Starocci can get a wrestler out of position with his own motion, level changes, body fakes, etc.  Brands boredom was effective to a point and he may be one of the few that could effectively deploy this strategy.