Most individual NCAA titles in a dual meet?

BAC

Has there ever been a NCAA D1 dual meet with as many individual NCAA titles between the two teams as PSU v Iowa this weekend?

I count 10:  3 Lee, 2 RBY, 2 Brooks, 2 Starocci, 1 Dean.

I think it might be a record. 

2 minutes ago, BAC said:

Has there ever been a NCAA D1 dual meet with as many individual NCAA titles between the two teams as PSU v Iowa this weekend?

You left out Tom, Terry, Carl ... 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

And since BTN will show them in Row 1 ...

Kyle Snyder has 3? Nolf 3. Zain 3. Probably a few others in attendance as well. 

I'm just talking about titles among the wrestlers in the lineup, of course.

But that reminds me of the 1998 dual between tOSU and PSU, which I think would've had 8, except Nolf didn't wrestle. 

34 minutes ago, BAC said:

But that reminds me of the 1998 dual between tOSU and PSU, which I think would've had 8, except Nolf didn't wrestle. 

Nolf was 2 at the time so it was probably for the best. Sorry, I could not resist.

• Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

39 minutes ago, BAC said:

How did Kemerer do that day?

• Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

57 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

And since BTN will show them in Row 1 ...

Kyle Snyder has 3? Nolf 3. Zain 3. Probably a few others in attendance as well. 

54 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Nick Lee 2, David Taylor 2

Let's not forget Dake with 4 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, BAC said:

The 2018 dual meet between PSU and Ohio State featured 9.  It would have been 10 but Nolf sat out with an injury.  Breakdown is Tomasello (1), Retherford (2), Nolf (1 DNW), Joseph (1), Hall (1), Martin (1), Nickal (1), Snyder (2).

18 minutes ago, fishbane said:

The 2018 dual meet between PSU and Ohio State featured 9.  It would have been 10 but Nolf sat out with an injury.  Breakdown is Tomasello (1), Retherford (2), Nolf (1 DNW), Joseph (1), Hall (1), Martin (1), Nickal (1), Snyder (2).

Thanks.  That's the one I was thinking of. 

1 minute ago, BAC said:

Thanks.  That's the one I was thinking of. 

It's a much more compelling distribution than the upcoming PSU-Iowa dual.  That dual had 5 on one side and 4 on the other.  This is a 7/3 split.  Also those 9 championships were spread over 7 wrestlers (4 for PSU and 3 for Ohio State) Friday it will only be 5 with PSU fielding 4 of those 5.   

5 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Any old nwca all star dual ?   What about wno or USA vs pa?

I think the premise is titles already won at time of the dual  or total titles ever won. Some ISU Iowa matches early 80s would be way up there. 

2 hours ago, fishbane said:

It's a much more compelling distribution than the upcoming PSU-Iowa dual.  That dual had 5 on one side and 4 on the other.  This is a 7/3 split.  Also those 9 championships were spread over 7 wrestlers (4 for PSU and 3 for Ohio State) Friday it will only be 5 with PSU fielding 4 of those 5.   

I think it depends on one's perspective as to which is more compelling:  number of titlists, number of titles, or number of multi-time titlists?  Active multi-time NCAA champions are as rare as hen's teeth, and this dual will have 4 wrestlers in it who are multi-time champs -- which itself probably a record, in addition to what appears to be a record for the total number of individual titles in a dual (10).

But tough to beat the 2018 PSU-tOSU dual for number of titlists.

1 hour ago, BAC said:

I think it depends on one's perspective as to which is more compelling:  number of titlists, number of titles, or number of multi-time titlists? 

Yeah but this dual all the titles are on one team, Spencer excepted.  Any PSU dual this season will have 7 NCAA titles in the lineup.  The additional of Spencer Lee is significant, but he will be wrestling the #40 guy or something like that.  

1 hour ago, BAC said:

Active multi-time NCAA champions are as rare as hen's teeth, and this dual will have 4 wrestlers in it who are multi-time champs -- which itself probably a record, in addition to what appears to be a record for the total number of individual titles in a dual (10).

That is true, but Cael has done an amazing job producing these at PSU.  Probably 90% of PSU dual meets from the 2010-2011 season through today featured 3 or more wrestlers that would ultimately win 2+ NCAA titles. It's crazy.

The only think that would result in this dual rivaling the 2018 Ohio State-PSU dual is if Iowa somehow pulls it out, but that probably won't even do it.  Maybe if it was at Carver-hawkeye.

5 hours ago, SocraTease said:

And how could you forget the NCAA title of the guy who always brings hips to the party ... Mr. Jim Gibbons, who will likely be barking & Spark-ing with Shane on play by play.

Hip-wiggle GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

And he'll be wearing a belt buckle, have his shoelaces tied and there will be "separation" between him and Sparkplug.

3 hours ago, 11986 said:

I think the premise is titles already won at time of the dual  or total titles ever won. Some ISU Iowa matches early 80s would be way up there. 

I was thinking the same thing, along with Iowa, Oklahoma State and Iowa State duals....back then the Big 8 was the best wrestling conference in the country.