New Ads

12 minutes ago, ionel said:

It is Monday correct?  Monday is the start of a new week true?  Didn't Bob say they were going to "tweak it" or did he say "twerk it?"  🤔

Bob is just the fall guy for Shillie and his political machine...

3 hours ago, manatree said:

Am I the only person not seeing a problem? I use CHrome on a Windows PC and Safari for iPad & IPhone. I get one pop-up ad with no sound, almost always off to the side. If it does happen to be covering up the content of the thread, one little click on the 'X' and the ad disappears.

Ditto. No annoying ads popping-up mid-screen while scrolling through forum replies. One, small, silent ad off to the side. Firefox on iPad.

(on desktop)

there's one video ad bottom right. you can click it and it goes away (for as long as you're on that page).

there's also a bottom banner ad that's permanent. 

THAT's IT. and that's the way it's staying.

if anyone is experiencing something different i'm all ears. 

TBD

On 8/28/2024 at 4:22 PM, Husker_Du said:

Guys, we just changed ad service. 

we didn't 'turn up' frequency of ad placement or anything.

i can understand your hatred of too many ads, but i promise you it's not on purpose. i want everyone to enjoy coming to the site.

it's an entirely new service, so there's bound to be some tweaks. give @BobDole a moment to fine tune it.

and continue to let us know here, what you're seeing (apparently we're all seeing different things).

thank you.

25 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

(on desktop)

there's one video ad bottom right. you can click it and it goes away (for as long as you're on that page).

What's up with the contradiction between the first post of this thread where you say, "We did not turn up the frequency of ad placement or anything," and now saying that every single page we click is going to have a new video pop up ad that automatically plays? 

It's your right to run however many ads as you'd like, but this is by far the most ads I've ever seen on a college wrestling forum. For me, the site is unusable on mobile (chrome or safari). What is wrong with sticking to banner ads? 

This is really the only national wrestling forum, so I'll stick around and post on desktop, but I'm worried this move will cause a number of people to leave and just not post here anymore. 

Edited by billyhoyle

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

(on desktop)

That matches my desktop experience. However, the mobile experience (Android/Chrome) is much worse. There are typically two pop up ads at a time covering content. See screenshot below. The ads cover a much larger % of the screen, and always over the content, on mobile.

Screenshot_20240910_190727_Chrome.thumb.jpg.34960c124cebe60ecd5a9d987860706f.jpg

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That matches my desktop experience. However, the mobile experience (Android/Chrome) is much worse. There are typically two pop up ads at a time covering content. See screenshot below. The ads cover a much larger % of the screen, and always over the content, on mobile.

Screenshot_20240910_190727_Chrome.thumb.jpg.34960c124cebe60ecd5a9d987860706f.jpg

Wait ... you are getting Honda pop ups?  I always thought of you as more of a BMW guy.  🤔

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yeah man. Right now I have two video pop ups stacked, a banner ad at the bottom, and the border of my phone screen is breathing in and out with not an ad but just a teal color. This is peak “you’ve been hacked in 2002” internet experience right here. 

• Brain 1

18 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

that's a good amount of battery you got there

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2024 at 6:06 PM, Gambatte said:

Ditto. No annoying ads popping-up mid-screen while scrolling through forum replies. One, small, silent ad off to the side. Firefox on iPad.

I was having none of the issues others were having, even from the start. I wonder if ISPs were a factor? I’m on T-Mobile and I never had any problems with the site on my work’s network.

11 hours ago, WildTurk said:

Yep. These pop up ads remind me of 1990s internet.  What a joke

Follow the ad revenue?

Mobile vs desktop 
In the United States, 63% of online traffic came from smartphones and tablets in 2017.

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

on mobile i get 2 ads

1 banner ad on bottom. 

1 video bottom right (which you can x out of)

anyone have a different experience right now?

There are still the banners on the bottom and the ad.  And often the banner that squares the whole screen.  There are several dozen posts across these or other threads like this.  You can x them but they come back.  They constantly come back.   They are in the way of the quote bar and follow you when you scroll and often interfere with typing.  

During this post.  Typing it they came back 5 times.  Sometimes when you click the x on the ad….. you actually click the ad which stinks.  The  experience is bad.  I believe it’s been documented a lot of times in these threads.     The user experience is not good.   I won’t make jokes there are plenty elsewhere.