NCAAs 2025: Philadelphia

38 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

from what i'm told the ncaa will not have a fan fest this year. first time in a very long time.

I think 2001 or a year or two after was the first. I believe they got the idea from St Louis in 2000. Union Station (former train station and a collection of stores and restaurants) was right down the street from the arena. So people could just park once a day and walk to the station between sessions and hang out.  At the time Union Station was great for this. As time went on it kind of deteriorated but the NCAA started adding the Fan Fest to accomplish the same thing.

Edited by gimpeltf
  • Bob 1

i'll be there.  2nd championship.  we should all meet up so we can reveal the true identity of jimmy cinnabon!!

The great forum poster from the early 2000s Skandar Akbar once held an iconic TheMat.com posters party, but accidentally posted the wrong address. People allegedly showed up at a house of ill repute … notably missing was the Mayor of Cleveland.
  • Haha 5

Insert catchy tagline here. 

On 8/20/2024 at 2:10 PM, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

So impressive! I love the board of tickets too. Each with its own memories. It is a shame tickets have gone electric. Something about "game tickets." I have saved many big event tickets I have attended as well. I guess it is a thing of the past.

I haven't taken a new picture of the NCAA board in awhile, but what I do now, is take screen shots of all my electronic tickets, put them in publisher and adjust them to the right size,  print them out on cardstock, cut them out and "wala", I have my physical tickets!  

ncaatickets.jpg

• Fire 2
  • Wrestle 1

11 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I haven't taken a new picture of the NCAA board in awhile, but what I do now, is take screen shots of all my electronic tickets, put them in publisher and adjust them to the right size,  print them out on cardstock, cut them out and "voilà", I have my physical tickets!  

ncaatickets.jpg

... fify.😉

D3

• Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

On 8/15/2024 at 10:26 AM, BuckyBadger said:

@Fadzaev2 That’s impressive. Which year stands out as most memorable?

Wow, I guess that's a great question.....I don't think I can pick out just one, they all have there memories, but, 1972 (Cole Fieldhouse, Maryland) definitely stands out, partly because it was my first, on Saturday we skipped the consolation matches and visited the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial.  It included, just like all the others, great wrestling....At 118 Greg Johnson won his 3rd NCAA title, at 126, Yoshiro Fujita (defended champion) broke his collar bone in the first round and was out 😒, 134 was high scoring match that ended up with Gary Barton (Clarion) upsetting Phil Parker ISU, Iowa State winning the NCAA title with 3 champions in Carl Adams, Ben Peterson and Chris Taylor.  That year, Clarion (Div. 2) had 2 NCAA Champions in Barton and Wade Schalles, and they followed up in 1973 with 3 Champions in Schalles, Don Rohn, and Bill Simpson...Div. 2 scores didn't count in the team score or Clarion would have been up there in the team score as Iowa State again won it with 2 champions in Rich Binek and Chris Taylor.  Every year the guys I go with (former wrestlers of mine) and I try to make a trip to an area place of importance, Philly as seen above, Oklahoma City bombing, World Trade Center, The Museum in Tulsa for the burning of "Black Wall Street", etc.   Will have to think about this....maybe to be continued!!!

Edited by Fadzaev2
  • Fire 5

2 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I haven't taken a new picture of the NCAA board in awhile, but what I do now, is take screen shots of all my electronic tickets, put them in publisher and adjust them to the right size,  print them out on cardstock, cut them out and "wala", I have my physical tickets!  

ncaatickets.jpg

Wrestling fan of the century. 

• Bob 1

46 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

My plan is to prepay a ridiculous amount of money on tickets, accommodations, etc...and then watch my son qualify for a killer swim meet that same weekend that forces me to cancel everything. 🤣

Maybe you can share the lost expenses with WKN!

5 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I know, I noticed it after the "time limit"....I couldn't correct it.  

I DO think that at one time or another, we (Most Of Us...) fell thru that crack in that part of the pavement.

(Yes indeed!😉)

D3

• Haha 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

21 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I know, I noticed it after the "time limit"....I couldn't correct it.  

15 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

I DO think that at one time or another, we (Most Of Us...) fell thru that crack in that part of the pavement.

(Yes indeed!😉)

D3

Reminds me of a Johnny Rivers song....The Sidewalk Song....kind of depressing though   (maybe 1970)