Should the U.S. be the best country in the world for men's freestyle wrestling?

billyhoyle

Should the U.S. consistently be the best country in the world for freestyle wrestling?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the U.S. consistently be the best country in the world for freestyle wrestling?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, alex1fly said:

TBH I need a freestyle buddy to watch with that can explain the ref behavior. Rules can be learned but with free (and Greco to an extent) I'm often wondering why the refs are doing what they're doing. They seem to be given a lot of say in not only who wins the match but with how the wrestlers interact with each other - set ups, TDs, tie ups, how much time par terre lasts, all of it.  Some if it makes sense but sometimes it reads like favoritism.... which is acceptable/expected according to posts here.

Freestyle is a hot mess and its readily apparrent to most normal people. The people on this board are hard cores and they will defend what they like but youre right there is a lot of subjectivity and that is a problem. The rule set issue is more opinioned based. I dont think think anyone can argue that rules are subjectively enforced in freestyle to a very large degree. Why is there no par terre clock? Its certainly not uniform. Wrestler A just hand fought his way into the under hook why are you blowing it dead to tell them to work? 

• Bob 1

I am a relatively new fan of wrestling. I don't find one any easier to explain to someone than the other. In folk you can watch two guys roll around for 40 seconds and there are no points scored because they are both holding on to a foot. Or as others have said here is a lace and the match is now over.

Neither is made for the uninitiated.

Just embrace that they are different and enjoy both (or all three).

Edited by JeanGuy
added more

3 hours ago, JeanGuy said:

I am a relatively new fan of wrestling. I don't find one any easier to explain to someone than the other. In folk you can watch two guys roll around for 40 seconds and there are no points scored because they are both holding on to a foot. Or as others have said here is a lace and the match is now over.

Or just admit folkstall is boring and dying in this Country.

The current freestyle rules blow away folkstall subjectivity.  The can't even figure our what a takedown is or isn't?  Changing the takedown and backpoints points hasn't helped. Scoring backpoints out of bounds is bizarre. Trapping an ankle from top is horrible for the sport. 

The Olympics were incredible.  Freestyle is flourishing.  Why stick with folkstall?  There's no legimate reason to keep folkstall alive.  It's hideous.

Edited by The Kid
  • Poopy 1

11 minutes ago, The Kid said:

Or just admit folkstall is boring and dying in this Country.

The current freestyle rules blow away folkstall subjectivity.  The can't even figure our what a takedown is or isn't?  Changing the takedown and backpoints points hasn't helped. Scoring backpoints out of bounds is bizarre. Trapping an ankle from top is horrible for the sport. 

The Olympics were incredible.  Freestyle is flourishing.  Why stick with folkstall?  There's no legimate reason to keep folkstall alive.  It's hideous.

It's because folkstyle has more action than freestill.  

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, JeanGuy said:

Totes. This is where I’m at. I would love to understand freestyle better. The emotional appeals (with zero backing data) are a bit much. If freestyle is about two athletes and a ref competing together, then that’s what it is lol

A par terre clock makes a lot of sense to my folkstyle-influenced brain

• Bob 2

19 hours ago, forkemaz said:

Is free style gaining fans? Does freestyle have more fans than folkstyle does? 

Obviously freestyle is more popular than folk stall.

Greco and the metric system too. 

10 hours ago, ionel said:

It's because folkstyle has more action than freestill.  

Yes. More actiion diving out of bounds and 26 restarts in a 1/0 bout.

Last years ncaa finals were so exciting. Everyone can't stop talking about all the action.