Olympic Wrestling ... Day 5

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Would y’all consider 5 medals but no champs a failure or disappointment for men’s freestyle? 

With this specific team a Disappointment. But it's the Olympics so still enjoy any medal we can bring home

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Yaz gave up. Noble. Are you allowed unlimited injury timeouts? Seems weird. 

Yaz appeared to be injured and was down by six with little time left. Conceding and congratulating your opponent in that situation is the noble thing to do. Spazzing out and throwing your medal away and being upset for the rest of your life is not the noble thing to do. It is instead the ignoble thing to do. 

Edited by peanut

No worries. I wasn't sure until I noticed the doc grab him as he exited. The Iranian coaches started to object and the doc waved them off and put both arms around Yaz. When Yaz raised his arm in protest, the doc pulled it down like he wanted to check it. I was looking at the rules yesterday and thought I saw something about the independence of the UWW docs in these situations.
Whether a real injury or just a cramp, it'd be nuts to boot a guy from the tournament that took multiple injury timeouts during the match and say he should have continued wrestling. Would set a bad precedent.
  • Bob 1

7 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

I'm thrilled for Helen, and happy she got to wrestle a 13 year old for an Olympic medal.

How old was her opponent. Amit was only 20 years old to win gold. Amit won World Gold last at 19 and the year before at 18.

2 minutes ago, Crotalus said:
23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:
No worries. I wasn't sure until I noticed the doc grab him as he exited. The Iranian coaches started to object and the doc waved them off and put both arms around Yaz. When Yaz raised his arm in protest, the doc pulled it down like he wanted to check it. I was looking at the rules yesterday and thought I saw something about the independence of the UWW docs in these situations.

Whether a real injury or just a cramp, it'd be nuts to boot a guy from the tournament that took multiple injury timeouts during the match and say he should have continued wrestling. Would set a bad precedent.

Agreed. But that doc looked like he wanted his say.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Paul158 said:

How old was her opponent. Amit was only 20 years old to win gold. Amit won World Gold last at 19 and the year before at 18.

She's 26, but it was a physical mismatch from the start. Taylor looked a weight class smaller than Helen, and didn't seem too surprised by the match outcome.

https://olympic.ca/team-canada/hannah-taylor/

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

So as a punishment to ya'll... I will be streaking WITH my clothes on.

Still drinking many gallons of intoxicating excrement.

Skipping the steak.

Too sad.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Because I have not been disappointed enough today, I'm going to watch the replay of the women's 10k since I was shitting the bed on here like I'm a member of the olympic MFS team. I'm sure that's going to be a real treat and will put me in an even better olympic spirit.

i am an idiot on the internet

14 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

So as a punishment to ya'll... I will be streaking WITH my clothes on.

Still drinking many gallons of intoxicating excrement.

Skipping the steak.

Too sad.

... but how's the Captain?

39 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Would y’all consider 5 medals but no champs a failure or disappointment for men’s freestyle? 

This year, especially with no Russians the answer is absolutely yes.  But I still think Snyder will get a gold and will be happy with any medal for Zain

• Fire 1