Tonight's Debate

On 6/28/2024 at 10:04 PM, RockLobster said:

C'mon mspart. I know you are capable of using Google. Here's a couple links to get you started:

https://www.factcheck.org/

Trump and Biden's first presidential debate of 2024, fact checked - CBS News

Looks like a 50-50 split between Biden and Trump. 

Here's one:  Both candidates erred on Social Security, with Biden incorrectly saying that Trump “wants to get rid” of the program, and Trump falsely alleging that Biden will “wipe out” Social Security due to the influx of people at the border.

Paying illegals SS money that they have never paid into is unsustainable now that receipts are lower than outlays. 

Here's another:  Trump overstated how much food prices have risen due to inflation. Prices are up by about 20%, not double or quadruple. 

Yeah, this was wrong and I caught that right as he said it. 

Another: Biden repeated his misleading claim that billionaires pay an average federal tax rate of 8%. That White House calculation factors in earnings on unsold stock as income.

So each man told some fibs.   And plenty of them. 

mspart

• Bob 2

Here's one:  Both candidates erred on Social Security, with Biden incorrectly saying that Trump “wants to get rid” of the program, and Trump falsely alleging that Biden will “wipe out” Social Security due to the influx of people at the border.
Paying illegals SS money that they have never paid into is unsustainable now that receipts are lower than outlays. 
Here's another:  Trump overstated how much food prices have risen due to inflation. Prices are up by about 20%, not double or quadruple. 
Another: Biden repeated his misleading claim that billionaires pay an average federal tax rate of 8%. That White House calculation factors in earnings on unsold stock as income.
mspart

I used to live in an agricultural town.

It was well known that the migrant farm workers, AKA “illegals”, paid into someone else’s SS. They literally made up an SSN for their tax forms and then had no chance of ever seeing any of the money they put in.

And, they were happy to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Brain 1

5 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

Not even close to a 50-50 split. It's closer to 95-5 given the enormous Trump lie count.

Trump is not just a compulsive liar. After practicing at his rallies, he's basically become a professional liar.

His rally lies (and they are obvious) served dual purposes. Made him a better practiced liar, and prepped his followers to follow those very same rally lies. Does explain why he spent so much time putting on rallies (and golfing) instead of attempting to do his job - which he really never actually did.

Here's another link to a more comprehensive summary which had more time for evaluation prior to publication: 

Fact checking the CNN presidential debate | CNN Politics

Remember that we've got a few different things going on here:

• Outright lies
  • Misleading statements
  • Mistakes, which may or may not have been corrected by the speaker during the debate

Still, it isn't even close. No surprise that Trump is clearly a big, fat liar.

6 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

Oh - and I should address each of your post items as well. I know you're stickler for that, my mistake.

• SS Money: False - Nobody is paying, or wants to pay Social Security to immigrants. That is crazy.
    Trump, during his presidency, offered the idea of significantly reducing SS benefits for US citizens.
  • Food prices: Yep, Trump was wrong.
  • Billionaires: Calculating income for the very wealthy is a tricky thing. The very wealthy have many tricky accountants working for them. If anything, I wouldn't worry too much about the billionaires. A rate of 8% is plenty close.

16 minutes ago, headshuck said:

We all know Biden doesn’t lie, it’s just an old man that can’t recall anything accurately so we should forgive him.

Forgive him for what? Being an honest, competent leader isn't a bad thing. Even though he doesn't always speak well.

Trump is an old man who can't complete a sentence without multiple lies and who only cares about himself and his $$.

There is a stark difference. Wake up and look more closely.

• Clown 1

3 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

some people... not sure i am with them

are saying that at the debate, when biden is zoning out... he is listening to someone tell him what to say...

I was thinking that with all the technology we have today, that it would be feasible to install a device in Joe's ear where someone could be communicating with him during the debate. I have no idea if it actually happened.