Coaching Carousel if John Smith retires

scorenomore

3 hours ago, Caveira said:

Nil is going to change college sports.   That burwikk thread is just the start.  “Big” programs will be poaching small holes in their lineup annually.  It’s the new new.   People think recruiting over is bad now … wait till that magic portal can plug holes in an instant.  

Lamont was a graduate... he was a "free agent".

1 hour ago, Caveira said:

but head coaches are going to have to try to protect their turf more.  If I could prevent someone competing for a competitor especially if I’ve been losing players.  I just think either new rules will occur or head coach (if possible) will veto.  

Especially if there is tampering with a kid before they enter the portal.......

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Jim Zalesky was fired at Iowa after winning 3 National Titles. We haven't won one in almost 20 years. I'm sorry but 5 National Titles in 33 years when 4 of them came in one stretch isn't that great for arguably the best program in wrestling history.

Pat Pop, Pendleton, Coleman, Cormier..............or the dream which is David Taylor or Jordan Burroughs are all better option than Coach Smith in 2023. Might be hard to hear but it is the truth.

19 hours ago, Idaho said:

Maybe an fluorescent green and yellow look? 

I remember years ago, when Tim Czyzewski (Head coach at Northwestern at the time) brought in black as an "accent" color (maybe the first one to do it), and he was reprimanded by whoever....equipment manager, AD, etc.   It was an issue for awhile.  Now a lot of schools, high school and college have done it.  You aren't going to change a schools colors or in some cases, the mascot either (I know, some schools have been forced to change mascots).

• Fire 1

So let’s say that we see Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor retire after the 2024 Olympics. Do AD’s immediately go out and try and hire them, or do they wait for them to do a few years as assistants first? I also wonder about Brent Metcalf, he has a ton of international experience as well as the College accolades, he might be a guy that could be very capable. I do think that if I was an AD, I would give both Jake Varner, and Casey Cunningham interviews. 

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, de4856 said:

So let’s say that we see Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor retire after the 2024 Olympics. Do AD’s immediately go out and try and hire them, or do they wait for them to do a few years as assistants first? I also wonder about Brent Metcalf, he has a ton of international experience as well as the College accolades, he might be a guy that could be very capable. I do think that if I was an AD, I would give both Jake Varner, and Casey Cunningham interviews. 

Are you joking?  Dake, Taylor & Burroughs will have their pick of whatever job they want if that's what they decide to do

12 hours ago, Cowboy08 said:

Are you joking?  Dake, Taylor & Burroughs will have their pick of whatever job they want if that's what they decide to do

So you think Penn state is going to fire Cael to hire Taylor? 😄 

I get your point… I think those guys could get head coaching jobs right from the start, but it is a definite risk for a major program to hire someone without experience. Personally, I think it would be worth the risk and it would be a good hire for OSU to nab one of those guys, but it’s still a risk so I wouldn’t say they have guaranteed jobs wherever they want. 

Not an OSU fan, but John Smith WILL NEVER be forced out, he will leave when he wants. Next, If and when he does leave, what has Coleman Scott done to deserve the OSU job?  Whoever said Henson, come on. Pop would be a good fit, but to someone else's point, he has a pretty good thing going on where he is at. 

• Fire 2

13 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

So you think Penn state is going to fire Cael to hire Taylor? 😄 

I get your point… I think those guys could get head coaching jobs right from the start, but it is a definite risk for a major program to hire someone without experience. Personally, I think it would be worth the risk and it would be a good hire for OSU to nab one of those guys, but it’s still a risk so I wouldn’t say they have guaranteed jobs wherever they want. 

not how it works.  Cael hires Taylor as assistant then ~year later Taylor gets AD to force Cael out ... or else!  Its a Trojan horse type of thing, history shows it works.  😉

• Fire 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ionel said:

not how it works.  Cael hires Taylor as assistant then ~year later Taylor gets AD to force Cael out ... or else!  Its a Trojan horse type of thing, history shows it works.  😉

Is there a mystery tag team partner they bring out in a cage with big sheet over it, not to be revealed until the actual firing happens? If so, I will buy the PPV. 

• Haha 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

50 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Agree with @H82Lose. He leaves on his own terms.   Mark Perry would be an intriguing pick when that time comes

Mark Perry (Not Chris) would be a great option.  He's a local kid and even if Iowa is his dream job that won't be open for a lonnnnnnng time.  I'd have to think Ok St would the next best thing for him (he grew up a Cowboy fan)

24 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

Mark Perry (Not Chris) would be a great option.  He's a local kid and even if Iowa is his dream job that won't be open for a lonnnnnnng time.  I'd have to think Ok St would the next best thing for him (he grew up a Cowboy fan)

Do you mean Sr or Jr?  Sr had his time, Jr there's a reason he left Illinois and maybe a reason he left Iowa, don't know about that.  But he seems to be in a very good place for his talents and doing well.  So ... nope. 

• The prevailing word is that John is done at the end of the season. There was a lot of speculation that he was waiting for Tulsa's NCAAs before retiring. Of course there were a lot of other theories over the years. But right now, all indications are that he's done at the end of the year. 

• The advent/development of the portal is not a deterrent to the OK State job; it's an asset. OKST will be hunters for transfers, not the hunted. 

• Fire 4

TBD