If Spencer wins gold in Paris does he retire from competition?

No, to both questions. 

If he wins gold (or not) I think he sticks around for at least one run at a world championship, too.

As for AD. Laughable. Lets start with the fact that Iowa just hired a new AD about a year ago. As for Spencer Lee, he has zero qualifications. The youngest AD in D1 was hired at ~31 years of age after serving in administrative roles at 4 institutions. With no graduate degrees, no experience, and a new AD in place not even he should be foolish enough to suggest he become Iowa's AD. Best case scenario is that job is a decade away.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

No, to both questions. 

If he wins gold (or not) I think he sticks around for at least one run at a world championship, too.

As for AD. Laughable. Lets start with the fact that Iowa just hired a new AD about a year ago. As for Spencer Lee, he has zero qualifications. The youngest AD in D1 was hired at ~31 years of age after serving in administrative roles at 4 institutions. With no graduate degrees, no experience, and a new AD in place not even he should be foolish enough to suggest he become Iowa's AD. Best case scenario is that job is a decade away.

Less than four months ago (January)!!!! She had been interim, prior.

If Spencer wins gold, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he retires and joins the Hawkeye staff.  If he doesn't, he may for a sr world title and then leave the shoes on the mat.  But who knows, he seems to be enjoying himself and he seems healthy so maybe he sticks around for another cycle.

He could go to grad school while coaching on the side. That would bring him closer to an administrative career. I think he'll keep competing internationally as long as his body is able to, though.

Well I heard that he signed a 5 year deal with Hawkeye wrestling club, and yeah I guess if he were to win a Gold in Paris he could call it a career, but I think he sticks around for a while to get another medal/championship and to help Iowa. After that, especially if he wins back to back Golds I’m sure that he will be moving into coaching. 

the rumor was he inked a seven-figure deal with HWC for 5 years I would assume the stipulations were that he competed over that time period. So, I would guess he goes another cycle.

2 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

the rumor was he inked a seven-figure deal with HWC for 5 years I would assume the stipulations were that he competed over that time period. So, I would guess he goes another cycle.

7 figures???? What the hell. 

Spencer has a recent interview where he said his original goal was to win 4 ncaa titles and 12 olympic/world gold medals. I'm not exactly sure what the significance of 12 was to him, three olympic cycles or be the most decorated freestyle wrestler in history plus +2?

Those were his plans, starting at 25 and all his injuries were not something he factored in back when he set them. From the way he spoke in the interview, I think he did care about being the most decorated freestyle wrestler at one point. Whether he sees that as feasible anymore (probably not)?

My gut feeling is he'll want to complete one olympic cycle and then take stock again. I think his short term goal is be a world and olympic champion at least once. 

I actually think Spencer is more likely to continue competing if he gets Olympic gold, not less. Or to put it in reverse, if he flames out early at the Olympics, I could see him hanging up the shoes. 

Spencer, by most accounts (particularly his coaches) is a guy with confidence issues. When he is winning and wrestling well, he feels confident and looks even better the next match. When he struggles, the doubts creep in, he gets self-critical and down on himself, and it becomes self-fulfilling on the mat, even to the point he doesn’t even want to compete at all (see 2023 NCAAs).

His first interview after losing at NCAAs was telling. He seemed SO put upon, SO sick of it all, that he seemed outright jealous of the one Iowa recruit who quit wrestling altogether to become a Navy Seal. He looked/sounded DONE, as if he was grinding forward only to fulfill others’ expectations of him. Contrast that to Spencer circa 2022 NCAAs, aka the “excuses are for wusses” version, who looked ready to rumble even after winning.

So yeah. A lot of psychobabble about a kid I don’t know personally (sorry), but  my take is if he wins gold he is training the next day for 2025 Worlds and LA 2028, if he loses he goes dark for nine months as “Is Spencer done?” threads swirl here and on social media.

So let’s hope he wins. 

• Bob 1

11 minutes ago, BAC said:

I actually think Spencer is more likely to continue competing if he gets Olympic gold, not less. Or to put it in reverse, if he flames out early at the Olympics, I could see him hanging up the shoes. 

Spencer, by most accounts (particularly his coaches) is a guy with confidence issues. When he is winning and wrestling well, he feels confident and looks even better the next match. When he struggles, the doubts creep in, he gets self-critical and down on himself, and it becomes self-fulfilling on the mat, even to the point he doesn’t even want to compete at all (see 2023 NCAAs).

His first interview after losing at NCAAs was telling. He seemed SO put upon, SO sick of it all, that he seemed outright jealous of the one Iowa recruit who quit wrestling altogether to become a Navy Seal. He looked/sounded DONE, as if he was grinding forward only to fulfill others’ expectations of him. Contrast that to Spencer circa 2022 NCAAs, aka the “excuses are for wusses” version, who looked ready to rumble even after winning.

So yeah. A lot of psychobabble about a kid I don’t know personally (sorry), but  my take is if he wins gold he is training the next day for 2025 Worlds and LA 2028, if he loses he goes dark for nine months as “Is Spencer done?” threads swirl here and on social media.

So let’s hope he wins. 

Good points, he does seem to be overly worried about others' perspective of him and his performance than most athletes. Keeping him out of his head is gonna be the main task for Dan Dennis and the Brands. 

On 5/14/2024 at 2:01 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

He could go to grad school while coaching on the side. That would bring him closer to an administrative career. I think he'll keep competing internationally as long as his body is able to, though.

He's getting healthier! Less College Wrestling, less torque on the knees(still a bit, but less). I don't see why he wouldn't have a shot at not just one, two, but possibly THREE cycles. He's 25. 4 years, 29, his 2nd cycle, and 33...he could make a run for 3 Olympics. 

He doesn't have to wrestle as often, less knee injuries hopefully.

I think his career may just be starting. He's so good when he's healthy and he can move. He's not the slickest, but he's a legit 57, he has preternatural strength with his turns...like starting a Kia.  His "weakness," is on his feet and his gas tank(which has been filling up as his knee's been getting healthy). 

I think he wants to do unique things after the way his Prep and Collegiate careers ended. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

the one that aren't funny should just be translated: "I'm scared Lee wins and keeps wrestling"

On 5/14/2024 at 9:06 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

We know he has a ton of miles on his tires and what better way to go out on top with an Olympic gold.  Could he move directly into being an AD at Iowa if he wins Olympic gold?

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

8 hours ago, scourge165 said:

He's getting healthier! Less College Wrestling, less torque on the knees(still a bit, but less). I don't see why he wouldn't have a shot at not just one, two, but possibly THREE cycles. He's 25. 4 years, 29, his 2nd cycle, and 33...he could make a run for 3 Olympics. 

He doesn't have to wrestle as often, less knee injuries hopefully.

I think his career may just be starting. He's so good when he's healthy and he can move. He's not the slickest, but he's a legit 57, he has preternatural strength with his turns...like starting a Kia.  His "weakness," is on his feet and his gas tank(which has been filling up as his knee's been getting healthy). 

I think he wants to do unique things after the way his Prep and Collegiate careers ended. 

And Reece Humphrey, who's opinion I trust was gushing over Lee's high crotch and how he is able to get in good position to finish (hips in , chest up , head in tight; good angle) so effortlessly.  Said 57 kg have to have the best technique on earth to be successful.  I'm guessing because they are so squirrely.

Reece also said that Spencer may be the best American we have ever seen on top.  He did say in the more recent era "where they don't give you 45 seconds on top."

This makes me think of Nico Megaludis and how tough he wrestled Spencer in par terre their first two meetings.  At the time I marvelled at Nico's strength, length, flexibility, and toughness.  I didn't think many other guys could bring that to the table.  Thankfully, it appears as if I may be right for once.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

And Reece Humphrey, who's opinion I trust was gushing over Lee's high crotch and how he is able to get in good position to finish (hips in , chest up , head in tight; good angle) so effortlessly.  Said 57 kg have to have the best technique on earth to be successful.  I'm guessing because they are so squirrely.

Reece also said that Spencer may be the best American we have ever seen on top.  He did say in the more recent era "where they don't give you 45 seconds on top."

This makes me think of Nico Megaludis and how tough he wrestled Spencer in par terre their first two meetings.  At the time I marvelled at Nico's strength, length, flexibility, and toughness.  I didn't think many other guys could bring that to the table.  Thankfully, it appears as if I may be right for once.

Just to be clear, I simply meant relatively speaking. Not that he's not great on his feet...it's just not where he's at his best. He's tougher than hell to turn, he can turn guys easily and his gas tank is looking much better...to the point where I think he'll be able to go a full 6 at his pace by the Olympics. I think it was kinda obvious that was an issue when he was dealing with knee injuries.

So it's really nitpicking, but the point was I think he may be better suited for Freestyle...which is kinda wild as he was the biggest upset in Wrestling History(or at least since Larry Owings) from being a 4X Champ. 

Edited by scourge165
Larry Owings
  • Bob 1

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

Just to be clear, I simply meant relatively speaking. Not that he's not great on his feet...it's just not where he's at his best. He's tougher than hell to turn, he can turn guys easily and his gas tank is looking much better...to the point where I think he'll be able to go a full 6 at his pace by the Olympics. I think it was kinda obvious that was an issue when he was dealing with knee injuries.

So it's really nitpicking, but the point was I think he may be better suited for Freestyle...which is kinda wild as he was the biggest upset in Wrestling History(or at least since Larry Owens) from being a 4X Champ. 

I'd like to see him keep guys off his legs

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

So it's really nitpicking, but the point was I think he may be better suited for Freestyle...which is kinda wild as he was the biggest upset in Wrestling History(or at least since Larry Owens) from being a 4X Champ. 

Larry Owings

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I'd like to see him keep guys off his legs

Yeah, I'm sure he'd like to as well! LOL...I think he's going to give up some TDs. I think there are just too many guys who are SO incredibly slick that it's tough for him in his style, always attacking, moving forward, to not leg some guys get in and even score. 

But he'll come back and win with his relentlessness...I hope. 

• Bob 1