Gable Steveson

38 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

le sigh. 

Wishing him the best (and hopefully he avoids CTE) but bummed that the sport is potentially losing out on an all timer

Yes, wishing him the best.   He has a 3 year contract.   So he has time to get the skills he will need to continue on.   Stephen Neal took a while to get there but became integral to the Patriots offensive line.   Perhaps he and Gable will speak to each other. 

mspart

shocking and awesome for him. its good for wrestling too. it would be impossible for someone to go into baseball, golf or basketball without ever doing it before. same with d back or qb. it proves that being an o lineman or d lineman is a low skill undertaking. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, wjd said:

You obviously don't follow basketball or know your basketball history. I believe he played against something like 8 or 9 HOF centers. Not all of these guys are HOFers but look up the size and stats of Bill Russell, Nate Thurmand, Walt Bellamy, Kareem, Bob Lanier, Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes. The list goes on and on. Back then the big man in the middle was the focus of a team, not outside shooting.

Actually I remember the guys listed in bold.   And I really don't pay much attention to basketball.

mspart

1 minute ago, WrestlingRash said:

shocking and awesome for him. its good for wrestling too. it would be impossible for someone to go into baseball, golf or basketball without ever doing it before. same with d back or qb. it proves that being an o lineman or d lineman is a low skill undertaking. 

I think the Patriots would disagree with you as Neal was highly skilled and was part of the wall of protection for the QB.   It took him some time to get there, but he had played football before, so he at least had a small head start.   Gable not so much but I hope he can transition.  That would be a great story.  

mspart

1 hour ago, Gus said:

This is something I can get excited about. I was never a fan of the fake wrestling career. Felt like a waste from the get go to me, but it was his dream so, so be it. His athleticism clearly meant nothing to fake wrestling, but it will be the only thing that can save him in the NFL.

• Bob 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This is something I can get excited about. I was never a fan of the fake wrestling career. Felt like a waste from the get go to me, but it was his dream so, so be it. His athleticism clearly meant nothing to fake wrestling, but it will be the only thing that can save him in the NFL.

Gable definitely has the size, speed, and athleticism but we'll have to see if he develops the on-field IQ. It's just wild to see an NFL team take a chance on a guy who put on cleats for the first time just weeks ago. I guess I'm also surprised that his stint in the WWE hasn't seemed to have hurt his marketability.

Wish Gable the best of luck but lets be real.....

He's a 6'1 D lineman who never played college football trying out to make an NFL roster. 

I'd be shocked if he gets through Bills training camp, if he does great.

Could see him venturing into AEW or some small wrestling circuit after this latest venture. 

30 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

Wish Gable the best of luck but lets be real.....

He's a 6'1 D lineman who never played college football trying out to make an NFL roster. 

I'd be shocked if he gets through Bills training camp, if he does great.

Could see him venturing into AEW or some small wrestling circuit after this latest venture. 

My guess is they are not looking for him to make the roster this year. They know how big a project he is. Park him on the practice squad for the year, coach him up, and see what happens. It doesn't hurt that the HC has a wrestling background.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/sean-mcdermotts-wrestling-background-helped-shape-his-life

24 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My guess is they are not looking for him to make the roster this year. They know how big a project he is. Park him on the practice squad for the year, coach him up, and see what happens. It doesn't hurt that the HC has a wrestling background.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/sean-mcdermotts-wrestling-background-helped-shape-his-life

True, but I don't know if Gable is the type of guy to wait around a year, while their still isn't a guarantee of him ever making the 53. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

He's not going to make the 53.  Has he even played football since middle school?

He is going to be the next Aaron Donald. Once he gets the technique down, he will be terrorizing QB's every Sunday. Book it.

PNWfan

On 5/29/2024 at 11:30 AM, Wildcat92 said:

Wilt Chamberlain:

• High jumped 6'6"
  • Ran the 440 in 49 secs
  • Ran the 880 in 1:58
  • Shot put 53'4"
  • Long jumped 22'
  • We all know about is basketball prowess
  • International Volleyball Association HOF
  • Reportedly could bench 500 lbs

And slept with all our moms/garandmas 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PNWfan said:

He is going to be the next Aaron Donald. Once he gets the technique down, he will be terrorizing QB's every Sunday. Book it.

Fun to imagine Gable shoestring tackling Tua and leg lacing him down the field

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wrestle 1

5 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

le sigh. 

Wishing him the best (and hopefully he avoids CTE) but bummed that the sport is potentially losing out on an all timer

4 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Gable definitely has the size, speed, and athleticism but we'll have to see if he develops the on-field IQ. It's just wild to see an NFL team take a chance on a guy who put on cleats for the first time just weeks ago. I guess I'm also surprised that his stint in the WWE hasn't seemed to have hurt his marketability.

2 hours ago, PNWfan said:

He won't be on the BIlls after the first round of cuts. 

22 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Fun to imagine Gable shoestring tackling Tua and leg lacing him down the field

Can you still leg lace in NFL? 

5 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

hopefully he avoids CTE

Don't worry about it.  I believe the research suggests CTE comes from repetitive hitting. Training camp and a little practice squad work shouldn't put him in danger.  

23 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Did Adam Coon get a 3 year contract when he got signed?

Maybe, but the structure of these three year deals for undrafted free agents is highly contingent. They get paid a weekly amount during training camp. Then the headline number on the contract only kicks in if they make the 53 man roster. And none of that is guaranteed. They only get the full amount if they are on the roster for the full year.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Maybe, but the structure of these three year deals for undrafted free agents is highly contingent. They get paid a weekly amount during training camp. Then the headline number on the contract only kicks in if they make the 53 man roster. And none of that is guaranteed. They only get the full amount if they are on the roster for the full year.

If a rookie makes the practice squad for an NFL team it's $216,000 a year. If a guy is on the practice squad and is an NFL vet he can make $370,000 a year. Pretty good money for human practice dummies. 

Edited by NM1965

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yeah that’s what I figured. Seems odd if it’s apparently “standard” to give rookies a “3 year contract” if there’s a pretty good chance they don’t even make the team.   But I guess a lot of NFL contracts have years on them that don’t end up happening 

On 5/29/2024 at 12:55 PM, NM1965 said:

What a bonehead decision, or at least it seems to be. Charlie would've been a for sure #1 draft pick and I can't help he'd have made a lot more money off football. But then again his career in the NBA was long. Maybe he made more in the NBA than he would've made in a relatively short NFL career. He was a little guy and would've definitely gotten hammered in the NFL. 

Actually Ward was projected as a 3rd or 4th round pick. He thought because he won the Heisman he should be a first rounder and thus chose the NBA. 

• Bob 1