David Taylor to Coach Oklahoma State???

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Isn't that what happened to JO?

Didn't JO never report it?  From what's being discussed by Mineo AB reported it but filed incorrectly.  Brooks was granted a temporary TUE 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

9 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I thought the adderall was grandfathered in...that someone Brooks age wouldn't be allowed to be taking it.

That was my understanding from people calling Simone Billes a "cheat," during the last Olympics...among other things. That she had her exemption going back to when she was first able to compete and....well, yeah, that was it, she was grandfathered into the exemptions, but anyone who didn't already have one was kinda out of luck.

Apparently that's not the case? You are still allowed to take it? And if it's a filling error, that'd be the dumbest possible reason to disqualify someone...but they are rather anal about that. I was kinda torn on who I wanted to see at that weight, but in the end, it was probably the guy on the incredible run and I wanted to see him finish up his career with another Oly Title and maybe a WC or 2, but at this point, it'd just case a shadow over whatever DT would do from here on out.

I'm not familiar with the rules on this.  Unfortunately at this time all we have is Mineo which always manages to turn into a shit show of disinformation 

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

I hope that’s not the case, especially with the incredible double standard the US enforced (or pretends to enforce) on its athletes in international competition.

This would also smell so badly of home cooking.

18 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I'm not familiar with the rules on this.  Unfortunately at this time all we have is Mineo which always manages to turn into a shit show of disinformation 

I'm not either...but I am familar on bullshit and that's why I generally try and avoid Mineo or Downy on Twitter...

If they end up being right, lets talk then. Their speculation doesn't seem to really justify it, it just casts doubt on Brooks at best. 

Would Taylor getting the Olympic Spot for a suspended Brooks really put the kibosh on his pursuit of the OSU opening?

John Smith and Kenny Monday were co-head coaches in 1991-92 as both were attempting to make the 1992 Olympic team.  Ultimately both did make the team and the job went to Smith on a permanent bases.  Taylor wrestling in the Paris Olympics would wrap up in August before the academic year even begins.  By comparison it would be far less of a distraction.

44 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

I wanted to see him finish up his career with another Oly Title and maybe a WC or 2, but at this point, it'd just case a shadow over whatever DT would do from here on out.

You're saying, if he got in, won an Olympic gold and then a couple more World Golds there would be a, "tarnish?"

1 minute ago, MPhillips said:

You're saying, if he got in, won an Olympic gold and then a couple more World Golds there would be a, "tarnish?"

Maybe if he got a silver it would tarnish.  Gold is resistant to tarnish and oxidation.

13 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Yeah...he lost and then still got the spot on a technicality. 

I think that would impact how people view THIS particular cycle. 

1 hour ago, pokemonster said:

sounds like Pyles' is well informed and the answer is no. DT took time to discuss with his inner circle, ie Cael, and has decided he's not ready to take it at this point in time. 

I hope this is incorrect. 

Uh, wouldn’t this be a conflict of interest for Cael?

17 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Would Taylor getting the Olympic Spot for a suspended Brooks really put the kibosh on his pursuit of the OSU opening?

John Smith and Kenny Monday were co-head coaches in 1991-92 as both were attempting to make the 1992 Olympic team.  Ultimately both did make the team and the job went to Smith on a permanent bases.  Taylor wrestling in the Paris Olympics would wrap up in August before the academic year even begins.  By comparison it would be far less of a distraction.

I actually think it'd help him. Easier to recruit if you're coming off another Olympic run...not that he doesn't already have enough sway or name recognition to do very well regardless, but I don't see it being detrimental. 

He just seemed really happy with where he was...farming near Dake and his Club, still Wrestling with the NLWC. I think people underestimate the impact of picking up and moving and disrupting their entire life, BUT, if he wants to be a HC...you've got 4-5 programs who I think can win a NC. Those jobs don't open up very often. 

PSU, Iowa, OSUx2, Minnesota...probably ISU. 

Ohio State may be more likely. Ryan is a bit older and DT would be back home. 

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah...he lost and then still got the spot on a technicality. 

I would bet Zahid files a lawsuit to get a challenge match with DT if Brooks is ineligible.   We have seen guys make legal challenges before and Zahid was an inadvertent singlet pull away from beating Brooks in State College.  It seems like he would have a good case. 

• Bob 1

Mineo said on twitter that DT was never made aware of this situation (no idea how he knows that). If that is the case it makes you wonder how DT is currently feeling about PSU. Coming off the loss I'm sure it was a bag of mixed emotions given he lost to a teammate so this may add a little more salt to the wound.

1 minute ago, Dogbone said:

I would bet Zahid files a lawsuit to get a challenge match with DT if Brooks is ineligible.   We have seen guys make legal challenges before and Zahid was an inadvertent singlet pull away from beating Brooks in State College.  It seems like he would have a good case. 

Yeah, that'd be fair. 

5 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

Mineo said on twitter that DT was never made aware of this situation (no idea how he knows that). If that is the case it makes you wonder how DT is currently feeling about PSU. Coming off the loss I'm sure it was a bag of mixed emotions given he lost to a teammate so this may add a little more salt to the wound.

This doesn't seem that big a deal to me.  All Cael needs to say is I didn't want you to know so that you weren't distracted and approached the matches like you had to win it.    - Also could be what actually happened. 

I don't know why not knowing would upset DT that would sour him on PSU. 

I'd also like to add how horrendous testing is in college wrestling. I personally think if you have a prescription, you should be absolutely allowed to take something so this instance is not really an example, but it just made me think. How do we have a considerable number of guys testing positive for things during international competition but never during the collegiate season. I have to think it's because guys are simply not being tested and I knew that was the case in smaller programs, but I guess I at least assumed maybe at NCAA's or conferences. 

26 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

After an Olympic Gold medal and two World gold medals...:classic_huh: 

Not a chance. Folks would believe the right man was in the right weight class.

8 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

This doesn't seem that big a deal to me.  All Cael needs to say is I didn't want you to know so that you weren't distracted and approached the matches like you had to win it.    - Also could be what actually happened. 

I don't know why not knowing would upset DT that would sour him on PSU. 

Yeah especially after he didn’t tell  Nickal he was injured…

15 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I would think Taylor would feel very good about that. If they had told him about a private matter involving another wrestler he would need to worry about what they are telling other wrestlers about him. Doing the right thing (not revealing private and privileged info) is never the wrong thing.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

6 hours ago, fishbane said:

Who Gable or Sanderson?  They both attempted to make multiple Olympic teams.

Gable tried to make the team in 1968 but lost to Bobby Douglas.  Douglas was the rep in 1969 and 1970.  I'm unsure of Gable attempted to make those teams and was beaten out or skipped them to focus on NCAA competition.  He made the team in 1971 and won worlds.  He then made the Olympics in 1972 and won those.  After 3+ years off he attempted to make a comeback to make the team in 1976.  After losing to Lee Kemp in an early open tournament he packed it in.

Cael Sanderson Wrestled at the 2000 Olympic trials where he finished 6th.  He made the world teams in 2001 and 2002.  In 2001 he declined to wrestle after the world championships were delayed due to 9/11/2001.  In 2002 the US did not send a team due to security concerns in Iran.  In 2003 he made the team again and finished 2nd.  In 2004 he won the Olympics and retired.  In 2011 he made a comeback winning the world team spot and placing 5th at the world championships before retiring again.

I don't think it is accurate to say either competed for "one Olympic cycle."

You're right obviously. I guess I was just rushing to make the point that he bowed out kinda early. Like he wasn't chasing records.

10 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

After an Olympic Gold medal and two World gold medals...:classic_huh: 

Not a chance. Folks would believe the right man was in the right weight class.

You're just re-wording what I said. Yes, I think people would look at the fact that he lost in both matches to Brooks and then Brooks loses on a technicality and I think it'd carry less weight than his past championships have meant. You can hear it now..."wasn't even the best in the US." 

I'm not saying people would dismiss it entirely and not count it, but surely it'd be held against him. 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Not that I'D hold that opinion, but there are people who nitpick the hell out of everything. There were just posts about how he wrestled in the weakest international weight...not even sure how they came to that conclusion, but they did. 

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

You're just re-wording what I said.

Not true.

You said:

I wanted to see him finish up his career with another Oly Title and maybe a WC or 2

7 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

but there are people who nitpick the hell out of everything.

Agreed.  I just don't agree that it would tarnish anything...

49 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

It would be really ***ducking** awkward for Zahid to do that being as he isn't even #3 on the ladder.

Directly from USA Wrestling:

image.png.fe28810fd7cb028ad91c4ab7a610cd75.png

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me