David Taylor to Coach Oklahoma State???

4 hours ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

If Taylor gets hired, can OSU land Jax Forrest?

Supposedly OSU was leading the Jax sweepstakes even before the DT drama began.  He has come to Stillwater to train many times and is close with Daton 

44 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

Supposedly OSU was leading the Jax sweepstakes even before the DT drama began.  He has come to Stillwater to train many times and is close with Daton 

The OSU wrestling podcast dude mentioned that and wanted to know more about it.

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Bit of a slap in the face to Coleman imo

Maybe, but if you want to actually try to unseat PSU, going after Taylor is the obvious move. 

I wonder if there's been ANY talk about Cael stepping down. Just ANY at all or if he's even thinking about a timeline or if he wants to just dominate for another 15 years. DT would be an obvious coach in waiting...but Cael is also still young. 

2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Maybe, but if you want to actually try to unseat PSU, going after Taylor is the obvious move. 

I wonder if there's been ANY talk about Cael stepping down. Just ANY at all or if he's even thinking about a timeline or if he wants to just dominate for another 15 years. DT would be an obvious coach in waiting...but Cael is also still young. 

Well Taylor could always go to OK State for a few years then go back to PSU if the job opens up.

• Bob 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I wonder if there's been ANY talk about Cael stepping down. Just ANY at all or if he's even thinking about a timeline or if he wants to just dominate for another 15 years.

Cael's whole career is about one upping Dan Gable.  He'll retire only after 16 titles

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

7 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Cael's whole career is about one upping Dan Gable.  He'll retire only after 16 titles

I doubt he even thinks of Gable. 

• Bob 2

6 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I doubt he even thinks of Gable. 

if you mean that cael is too dumb to be aware of gable's impact on college wrestling and his own style then I resent the implication.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

8 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

I assume you're kidding...

This seems antithetical to everything I've ever heard or known about Cael Sanderson. His whole career is about a competitive nature and a desire to win and be great. I don't think he's got a picture of Gable hanging up and saying, "just need to do one more than him." 

Cael leaves right now and he's the most success Wrestlers in College Wrestling History and I think the most highly regarded coach...and it's probably not close. 

I'd be disappointed if I learned he was counting NCs trying to pass Gable.

• Bob 2

7 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

if you mean that cael is too dumb to be aware of gable's impact on college wrestling and his own style then I resent the implication.

Or maybe he just means that is a hollow and silly way to build a career and a legacy and that fixating on Dan Gable is probably NOT what Cael Sanderson is doing. 

Gable Wrestled in the 60s. He's been done for 25 years. 

I really struggle to believe that people think Cael is obsessed with the idea of just one-upping Gable. That seems more like something Gable would do.

Cael just seems like he loves what he does and he wants to win, but...as he's repeatedly said, "it's a GAME." 

That should highlight the difference in the two right there. Never got the "it's just a game...a really funny game...one of my favorite games, probably my favorite game, but it's a game and at the end of the day, you have to have fun or what's the point." 

Or is everyone being sarcastic and I'm missing it?

• Bob 3

8 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

He only competed one olympic cycle. Seems to me like he has his own measures of success.

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

He only competed one olympic cycle. Seems to me like he has his own measures of success.

Who Gable or Sanderson?  They both attempted to make multiple Olympic teams.

Gable tried to make the team in 1968 but lost to Bobby Douglas.  Douglas was the rep in 1969 and 1970.  I'm unsure of Gable attempted to make those teams and was beaten out or skipped them to focus on NCAA competition.  He made the team in 1971 and won worlds.  He then made the Olympics in 1972 and won those.  After 3+ years off he attempted to make a comeback to make the team in 1976.  After losing to Lee Kemp in an early open tournament he packed it in.

Cael Sanderson Wrestled at the 2000 Olympic trials where he finished 6th.  He made the world teams in 2001 and 2002.  In 2001 he declined to wrestle after the world championships were delayed due to 9/11/2001.  In 2002 the US did not send a team due to security concerns in Iran.  In 2003 he made the team again and finished 2nd.  In 2004 he won the Olympics and retired.  In 2011 he made a comeback winning the world team spot and placing 5th at the world championships before retiring again.

I don't think it is accurate to say either competed for "one Olympic cycle."

• Bob 3
  • Brain 1

22 hours ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

If Taylor gets hired, can OSU land Jax Forrest?

Good chance.  Im guessing the first big name to go with Taylor to OSU will be PJ Duke

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

10 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Good chance.  Im guessing the first big name to go with Taylor to OSU will be PJ Duke

That's what I am talking about.

The think with Carroll is he will have DT AND Chris Perry to train with.

On FRL today Pyles is saying that Cunningham was first pursued but declined.  Then Taylor expressed interest, but Pyles thinks he has or will decline the OSU job and that it will be Coleman.

• Bob 1

5 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

On FRL today Pyles is saying that Cunningham was first pursued but declined.  Then Taylor expressed interest, but Pyles thinks he has or will decline the OSU job and that it will be Coleman.

So Coleman gets sloppy thirds?

I am surprised at how bummed I am to hear DT might turn down the OSU job.

That would be such a boost to the sport.  My family members who know comparatively little about wrestling were pumped to hear about this interview process happening.