Do any Penn State wrestlers beat Kyle Dake?

12 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

When I compare messenbrink to nolf or zain in college since he gets that kind of hype..they were so much better on top....so much stronger....so much more fundamental....so much better defense....beat and dominated much more upper level competition

Zain or nolf did not have to navigate any weight classes which were even 50% as good as what MM did this year.

You can poopoo all you want, the kid went out and torched all but one person in the deepest weight at NCAA's by far.

• Brain 1

23 hours ago, peanut said:

That would be a super tough matchup and Brooks would be the underdog. But I think Brooks takes it. Yazdani is only 29, but it’s a well-worn 29. Plus NLWC has been studying him for years. 

We also have to be real, Yazdani isn't a full 86kg wrestler, he's a 74 who didn't want to cut weight anymore.  It's impressive what Yazdani has done, but could you imagine how good he would have been if he stayed down at 74?  

It's awesome that DT has been able to go on the run that he did, and this is going to come off very poorly, but I promise I am a very big DT fan, DT has pressure and flailed his way to his titles, and has done so in the weakest weight class of the 6.

One thing that has always been evident about DT is he's an effort and volume guy.  Dude's not exactly a precision wrestler.  He made his money being the biggest guy on the mat, and missing 11 shots so he could land the 12th.  This becomes a problem when you decide you're going to wrestle like Dake and only generate two or three scoring events in a match.  Taylor has always been 14-4 or 18-8 tech fall guy, not a 10-0 tech fall guy.  

• Poopy 2

If MM is a training partner for Dake wonder if Dake tutored him on how to approach JB and thus the heavy hands and slaps that he gave JB.  Taste of his own medicine and did get under his skin.

MM has long way to go in the maturity department- mentally speaking.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, PJ141 said:

If MM is a training partner for Dake wonder if Dake tutored him on how to approach JB and thus the heavy hands and slaps that he gave JB.  Taste of his own medicine and did get under his skin.

Almost as if he has the "iowa attitude" that people complain about with folks like Desanto.  Curiously, far fewer people complaining about MM's mentality and antics.

• Bob 1

On 4/20/2024 at 12:59 PM, KennyEBHS said:

Kyle Dake is the most unlikeable wrestler in this reader's mind since he beat Molinaro for his first NCAA championship.

This wasn't the question in any manner.  The question was, does any PSU wrestler beat Kyle Dake.  Who cares if you think he is a likeable wrestler.  If we did, we would start a post or a poll asking, "Is Kyle Dake a likeable wrestler, Yes or No"

Follow along, please.  

• Haha 2

Well since Dake rarely loses and never loses to Americans I would say not until it is clear he is done. So solid and strong. The only one I could even see is Starocci. He is a guy that is playing the same game as Dake.

6 minutes ago, JeanGuy said:

Well since Dake rarely loses and never loses to Americans I would say not until it is clear he is done. So solid and strong. The only one I could even see is Starocci. He is a guy that is playing the same game as Dake.

Starocci doesn't come close to beating him at any weight in any style.

• Brain 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

If we are glazing Dake I'd like to say I still think the most impressive thing he's done is going up to 86 and nearly winning the spot from cox. while probably being a 74-79kg hybrid naturally. I think it's easy to lump new guys in with the legends but honestly the only guy wrestling right now I think has a shot to being on a DT,Dake,snyder,Burroughs level is AB. Although I could see this being the last time Jesse mendez is not on a team for near a decade potentially and then you have the high schoolers coming up. 

To answer the actual question...he definitely has people who beat him in that room, that's why he moved there.  Dake can try to do what he wants to someone like brooks, that dude's neck is almost as big as his waist,  no matter what happens, he's coming forward at you. 

Also, considering he's the #2 wrestling mind in the country, being around the #1 wrestling mind in the country very likely had something to do with it.

People who beat dake right now I'd say include

Cael

Varner

Snyder

Brooks

Nickal

But realistically, I don't think anybody below 197 is giving him a go.  He's just too smart, too good at putting together game plans. 

On 4/25/2024 at 8:07 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Almost as if he has the "iowa attitude" that people complain about with folks like Desanto.  Curiously, far fewer people complaining about MM's mentality and antics.

All that stuff is totally fine… if they wrestle for your team 😀

• Bob 1

22 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

To answer the actual question...he definitely has people who beat him in that room, that's why he moved there.  Dake can try to do what he wants to someone like brooks, that dude's neck is almost as big as his waist,  no matter what happens, he's coming forward at you. 

Also, considering he's the #2 wrestling mind in the country, being around the #1 wrestling mind in the country very likely had something to do with it.

People who beat dake right now I'd say include

Cael

Varner

Snyder

Brooks

Nickal

But realistically, I don't think anybody below 197 is giving him a go.  He's just too smart, too good at putting together game plans. 

Nickal can't beat Dake.  He lost to Myles Martin twice. lol

MM was a dirty wrestler in that match. Was sorry JB didn't take the high road.

Sent from my G71 PLUS using Tapatalk

• Bob 1

On 4/21/2024 at 1:21 AM, alliseeisgold said:

Carr was up like 8 to 1 and mm scored on stall calls

Wake me up when mm wrestled dudes like Isiah Martinez or kremerer or even guys like Micah Jordan in college

Messenbrink is a level below the top top tier in college imo and keeps being put there. He is a clear level below Carr and otoole.

You can't win in senior level with no defense. That's been proven over and over.

I'm the guy who said mm would be destroyed before the burroughs match when everyone else said it would be close.

Keep this up and you could be in the running with Mr. Pastry for biggest troll on this board.

On 4/21/2024 at 1:27 AM, alliseeisgold said:

When I compare messenbrink to nolf or zain in college since he gets that kind of hype..they were so much better on top....so much stronger....so much more fundamental....so much better defense....beat and dominated much more upper level competition

And yet, as a freshman he did better than both of them. 🤔

• Bob 2

On 4/25/2024 at 7:07 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

MM, to my knowledge, hasn't tried to break someone's shoulder via Kimura in a match because he was frustrated about losing.

On 4/21/2024 at 12:25 AM, alliseeisgold said:

Mesenbrink will never amount to anything on the senior circuit.

He beat some guys named Jacques and locket. Never heard of them.

David carr dominated him. Outside of that he didn't face legit top shelf talent all year. His style against burroughs was laughable. 

I just honestly believe this guy being compared to nolf etc has been overblown. He hasn't faced the same guys they did in college. 

Ok, so this is Jimmy's new burner? 

Obviously some obnoxious PSU fan all bitter about JB...

On 4/28/2024 at 1:53 PM, boathead said:

MM was a dirty wrestler in that match. Was sorry JB didn't take the high road.

Sent from my G71 PLUS using Tapatalk

I don't think he did anything dirty. He's just got a...different style. I'd imagine he's frustrating to Wrestle against for people at his level. He doesn't move as smoothly as others do. He and Hamiti kinda have that same motion that's a little... awkward. I don't think he's trying to be dirty or get in anyone's head or any of that. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just feels like you can tell the difference between the contrived "tough guy," shit vs the just relentless, non-stop motor. I'd say he's more in that later group like a Lincoln Mcllravy. 

If you're getting poked in the eyes and getting clubbed, it's probably a bit more difficult to tell in the moment however. 

• Bob 2

On 4/20/2024 at 12:17 PM, AgaveMaria said:

No talking fantasy where David Taylor is great.

Reality in the mat.

Do any Penn State wrestlers beat Kyle Dake?

Same answer as the last 12+ years. 

No.

On 5/3/2024 at 5:02 PM, scourge165 said:

it just feels like you can tell the difference between the contrived "tough guy," shit vs the just relentless, non-stop motor.

Agreed. Although that match came off, "different."  I figure it was just the atmosphere. Home crowd, high stakes, wrestling arguably the best US wrestler ever, etc...🇺🇸

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Desanto was not on Iowa when that occurred.  It never happened again when he was on Iowa.  Facts are tricky little things.

I didn't say he was on Iowa when that happened. Don't assume things. You know what that makes you...I was just pointing out that difference between MM and DeSanto.

1 minute ago, Winners Circle said:

I didn't say he was on Iowa when that happened. Don't assume things. You know what that makes you...I was just pointing out that difference between MM and DeSanto.

You were pointing it out on my post, which was specifically about Iowa.  I can certainly make assumptions when you respond to my post which had a particular purpose, that clearly went over your head.  Desanto was not a choir boy on the mat at Iowa, but he was held accountable and his behavior improved.  He didn't try any kyaku ude-garami under the Brands.

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

You were pointing it out on my post, which was specifically about Iowa.  I can certainly make assumptions when you respond to my post which had a particular purpose, that clearly went over your head.  Desanto was not a choir boy on the mat at Iowa, but he was held accountable and his behavior improved.  He didn't try any kyaku ude-garami under the Brands.

I was simply pointing out why people had a problem with DeSanto and not with MM. Sorry that triggered you.

I don't care about any of the antics DeSanto did at Iowa (cussing out the media member was odd, but I didn't lose any sleep over it). But seeing, in person, him trying to purposely severely injure another athlete because he was losing was all I needed to see.