OTT Finals Thread

2 minutes ago, peanut said:

Disagree. The step out encourages offense and tends to keep action in bounds. 

Lee picked up that single leg and simply walked him out of bounds.   Thats meh       Lee fan 

I don’t watch freestyle enough to criticize officials, but I see wrestlers compare how US officials call matches vs international officials. 

Wouldn’t it make sense to bring in some international refs for these tournaments so we get a sense of how matches will be called?

Just now, Caveira said:

Lee picked up that single leg and simply walked him out of bounds.   Thats meh       Lee fan 

I agree that walking a guy out is not as exciting as a takedown. But the way a step out shapes a match makes the match better. Athletes can’t flee the mat as easily, and they get rewarded for taking the risk and effort to attack a leg. Much better than two guys sitting at edge, refusing to engage. 

• Bob 4

Just now, d3grappler said:

I wanted Spencer to win that match bad, but I am confused as to how that was not four. Looking forward to seeing some of the other camera angles from cameras on on the floor.

Judgement call because he landed on the elbow first 

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

If Lee loses this one, hard to see him winning one tonight when Zain weighs 190lbs.

I thought they wrestle two matches this morning at 57KG and 65KG and only a third one tonight if necessary

• Brain 1

10 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I only saw the action out of the corner of my eye and never saw a replay, did they show one?  Did Spencer turn down?

First thing to hit was his right elbow followed by both cheeks and his back. Sure looked like four, but they said there was not enough evidence to over turn, rather than confirm.

One other thing I noticed. When they are showing the reviews on the scoreboard they have two views, one is a regular camera the other is a fisheye lense. You cannot tell anything from the fisheye lense view because it make everything look farther away. It seems like they do not have enough cameras so they set one for fisheye. Another example of USAW doing an ameteurish job running this tournament.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Gilman wrestled a strong match against Lee and it almost worked.   He didn't get the breaks on a quick stoppage when he was in on the leg.  He didn't get the break on what could have been a four, and even Lee's TD to a turn was something he might have prevented in retrospect.   The point:  these two guys are close, and Gilman seems to have the better gas tank the longer the match goes.