2024 OTT Day 1 Session 1 official thread

just got back from session 1 major takeaways.

The high school kids are absolutely unreal

cox looked like he was about to die post match

Shapiro looked dreadful compared to my standards for him.

Facundo if it translates to folk will be ready to AA

Spencer looks healthy and has insane hips

Yianni looked really good aside from when he looked really bad

Carter looked really undersized 

MM may have something to say about a Dake Burroughs rematch

Jesse gets better every time I see him

Edited by Truzzcat
  • Bob 3
  • Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

6 minutes ago, Gus said:

I’m okay with it. Winning a world medal should result in a big advantage. 

Weights matter too.   Letting the world medalist at different weights sit to the semis seems fair, not sure I see why the other guys on that half get a disadvantage because of it.

2 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

They totally hit Bartlett with the “you have college left, and you get NIL, this is Joey’s job” call reversal.

McKenna was absolutely decked ... and multiple times.    Terrible job of the referee failing or refusing to see it ... probably didn't want to get down to his knees and look

• Bob 1
  • Wrestle 1

8 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

McKenna was absolutely decked ... and multiple times.    Terrible job of the referee failing or refusing to see it ... probably didn't want to get down to his knees and look

You gotta be slick AND quick to pull that $h!t!

B3V3Y42VNFBSDFW7KQZYVHJUYA.gif

(Perhaps he's not all that slick? 😏)

D3

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

3 hours ago, Gus said:

holy crap mirasola just took down brooks

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

Connor Mirasola has two more TDs on Brooks than the entire NCAA did this year.

Mirasola 2, NCAA 0.

And the beat will go on for Penn State at 197. 

1 hour ago, SocraTease said:

I'm a McKenna fan and that was absurd how they didn't call the fall. I didn't think Beau took him down at the end based on watching it live, although I didn't see a replay. Looked like he never touched his knees. But why the hell did they challenge whatever it was they challenged after the (what should've been a) pin? Gave McKenna the edge when he would've been down on criteria. 

Who was impressive and who was not in the first round? Grades for the first session?  (Obviously, it is hard to say much for matches one missed or only caught part of)

Spencer Lee A -  (Nico couldn't finish on him)

Mesenbrink A-  (his pace might hound Borroughs, who will probably try to get to MM's legs)

Nick Lee B + / A- (looked much better than at Pan Ams)

Jacques A /A- (didn't see too much of him, however; did he come out of the blue?)

The three high school guys at 57KG A -  (Yea, I know, they are not a monolith)

Borroughs B-  (underwhelming; he's going to need to turn it up a notch or two)

Marinelli B/B +  (pressure and good defense)

Gilman B/B+ (did what he had to and hung on)

Nolf B + (shut it down in the 2nd/ seemed to tire)

Hidlay B / B-  (seems more savvy at freestyle than Starocci at this weight at least)

McKenna D  (He should be showering or fishing)

Starocci B-   (the Lizard King gave him a run for the first 3 or 4 minutes)

Kerk B+/ A- (looking forward to his match with Gwiz)

Bartlett B (got robbed; McKenna was decked)

Cox C - (did nothing but dance a little)

Shapiro - D (giving up too much weight or muscle?)

Kennedy Blades B+ (came on strong in the 2nd)

Alirez A -  (hard to score on)

Richards B/B+  (he's going to soon have his hands and legs full)

FIx ?

Suriano ?

Retherford  A (rehydrating, relaxing, and crushing watermelons)

Dom Bradley A (for running guys off the mat and looking for more tables to break)

Edited by SocraTease
  • Bob 1
  • Stalling 1

16 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I'm a McKenna fan and that was absurd how they didn't call the fall. I didn't think Beau took him down at the end based on watching it live, although I didn't see a replay. Looked like he never touched his knees. But why the hell did they challenge whatever it was they challenged after the (what should've been a) pin? Gave McKenna the edge when he would've been down on criteria. 

The coaching staff screwed that challenge up.  And didn't they also have a bad challenge in BB's earlier match with Alirez?

Edited by SocraTease

This may have been discussed earlier but I am being lazy.  Why was the Mendez/Yianni quarter not wrestled when all the other quarters were.  Why will they wrestle tonight and then take on Zain in the same session when no other semi finalists have that burden?  Seems patently unfair.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Ched64 said:

This may have been discussed earlier but I am being lazy.  Why was the Mendez/Yianni quarter not wrestled when all the other quarters were.  Why will they wrestle tonight and then take on Zain in the same session when no other semi finalists have that burden?  Seems patently unfair.

Hard to know, but the rationale might conceivably be advanced that they were in some sense already (technically) in the (quasi) semifinals.   It helps Retherford I suppose, but it also allows them each to rehydrate and rest for the match with each other.

The desire to have more big matches and drama on USA Network at 6:30 maybe?  Who knows?

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, Ched64 said:

Some idiot who never wrestled sat down and came up with this absolute ridiculous idea. I mean how dumb is this.  Either  both wrestlers have to wrestle an extra match or Zains gets put in the bracket at the top as the number one seed. Only fair way to do it.

• Brain 1

Aliaksandr Kikiniou is 44 years old, and he is in the semis at 77KG in Greco. He took out Porter 6-0. He must have transferred from Belarus at some point.   He won a Bronze at Worlds in 2009 and competed in the 2004 Olympics.

You can see his gray hair at 6:30 PM today.   He is more than twice the age of some of the other guys.   Impressive given that one's VO2 max declines about 10 percent each decade after your 20's.

• Bob 3
  • Jagger 1

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

And the beat will go on for Penn State at 197. 

Starocci will be at 197lbs for them next year.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

What would happen if there were 2 medalist at the same weight. Let’s say 61kg and a 70 kg world medalist and both end up at the weight of 65kg for Olympic trials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greco fans: Joe Rau wins, Zac Braunagel loses. The ref in the Brawlnagel match called Zac for passivity twice. I swear on the souls of my children! Not only did the ref eschew the usual call "A" for passivity in the first period and "B" in the second, but this dude called Zac Braunagel for passivity twice. It's like it started raining upwards! 

Will the mantle of true heel be taken from PD3 and handed over to the PSU crowd? Booing Jordan Burroughs is a nice start. 

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

If we all decide to believe in making weight, then Spencer Lee will have to make weight again tonight. So, everybody, join in with me: "I do believe in scales. I do believe in scales. I do believe."

Don't they have to make weight the each day for multiday tournaments?

• Brain 1