Askren

34 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I agree with what you are saying.  We don't know why Askren was on campus. And Bono is still the coach.  But the AD most certainly knows Askren. 

Ben interviewed for the job when they gave it to Bono, McIntosh was involved with those interviews. 

Also both were WIAA state wrestling champions, McIntosh has known or know of Askren for many years. 

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

From his comments and actions he doesn't seem to be one that would like to have someone else as his boss. He's not one to do things by the book, which has lead to a lot of success, but he also is very vocal about rules/laws he thinks are "stupid." I don't see him as being one that will like living under constant scrutiny of following rules with recruiting, weight management, or the millions of other NCAA rules you have to follow. 

With him running his club he is in full control of everything, running a college program he will be regulated to NCAA and Wisconsin rules.

Thinking the rules are stupid doesn't mean he's going to blatantly violate them. You can think they're dumb and still abide by the rules.

5 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Mineo just tweeted no change to UW wrestling staff for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So 50/50 chance ...  🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HungusMungus said:

Ben interviewed for the job when they gave it to Bono, McIntosh was involved with those interviews. 

Also both were WIAA state wrestling champions, McIntosh has known or know of Askren for many years. 

I saw McIntosh at the 2000 (maybe it was 1999?) WIAA State Championships.  He was a football player at UW at the time and he came to watch the finals.  Ben was a Freshman finalist that year, if I remember correctly.

Edited by jchapman

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

22 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Ah man what a tease!  This is a good development though.  Even if they are just consulting with AWA to ensure they have their blessing for the next hire.

Does UW really care that much about the wrestling program? 

11 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Does UW really care that much about the wrestling program? 

Thats a big fat NO..... Football, Womens Volleyball, Men's Basketball, Men's & Womens Hockey.........They are well below the intermural wake boarding team on UW's priority list. 

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

No.

@HungusMungus I didn't think so! Ben seems like he has enough knowledge to keep his business afloat, so I can't see him offering UW a FREE consultation about who to hire, not to hire, or retain Bono.  

I mean shit, I am just a stinking ref, and even I know better than to give them a FREEBIE! 

20 minutes ago, HungusMungus said:

Thats a big fat NO..... Football, Womens Volleyball, Men's Basketball, Men's & Womens Hockey.........They are well below the intermural wake boarding team on UW's priority list. 

But they paid Bono a lot more than his predecessor, so they must have cared at the time.  

Pyles and Askren talked about this on FRL for a couple minutes, Ben claims that he was in Madison to "buy some sweatshirts from the team shop". He obviously wasn't willing to answer it, so Ben definitely met with somebody on staff there.

5 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Pyles and Askren talked about this on FRL for a couple minutes, Ben claims that he was in Madison to "buy some sweatshirts from the team shop". He obviously wasn't willing to answer it, so Ben definitely met with somebody on staff there.

It will be nice when Amazon makes it to Wisconsin

• Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, CalWrestler said:

But they paid Bono a lot more than his predecessor, so they must have cared at the time.  

Nah bro.

Inflation.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, CalWrestler said:

Is the old friend, the Wisconsin AD?  They know each other.

There was an RTC practice, I assume there are several "old friends" associated with that.  I'm not saying that is what he is referring to, just making an observation.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

On 4/10/2024 at 1:48 PM, juniorvarsity said:

That is wild. I cannot imagine he would give up the amazing thing he has built at AWA. What would be the AWA succession plan there? But how cool would it be if he just brought his brother with him. Keckeisen and O'Toole as RTC athletes for the next quad. You could also imagine some of his current AWA guys would flip on their commitments. Its a bunch of ifs. It is not going to happen.

I think you'd need a VERY wealthy benefactor to come in and really fund that RTC and NIL money to even get this discussion started.

The NLWC is so far ahead of even Iowa in revenue(I think they're over 2X Iowa)...if Askren and his Brother are going to give up AWA and all connections to their Wrestling School, they'd probably want a better situation.

• Bob 1

9 hours ago, BobDole said:

From his comments and actions he doesn't seem to be one that would like to have someone else as his boss. He's not one to do things by the book, which has lead to a lot of success, but he also is very vocal about rules/laws he thinks are "stupid." I don't see him as being one that will like living under constant scrutiny of following rules with recruiting, weight management, or the millions of other NCAA rules you have to follow. 

With him running his club he is in full control of everything, running a college program he will be regulated to NCAA and Wisconsin rules.

It's not Askren's wrestling knowledge that would sink him. A major D1 wrestling program requires a guy who can not only coach and attract talent, but also knows how to win the favor of the alumni and get donations. Sad, but true. Askren doesn't have the discipline required to control his big mouth, it would be one idiotic controversy after another. 

• Bob 2

Ben said during the whole transition from Barry to Bono, he could build a national championship team from Upper Midwest wrestlers.

I laughed at that thought, However seeing the talent coming out of Wisconsin and Illinois he is 100% accurate 

McIntosh would be an idiot not to figure this out. Wisconsin is a contender with an Askren connection. No doubt in my mind!