Who wins, 2002 Sanderson or 2024 Brooks?

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins, 2002 Sanderson or 2024 Brooks?

• 2002 Sanderson
    • 2024 Brooks

In 2002, Sanderson won his fourth NCAA title at 197, was the NCAA tournament's outstanding wrestler, and won the Hodge. Ditto for 2024 Brooks.

So who wins?

Before you answer, consider that 2024 Brooks has 2024 Sanderson in his corner. If anyone can figure out a way for 2024 Brooks to beat 2002 Sanderson, it's 2024 Sanderson.

sanderson's motion was way better (best ever), he knew way way way more positions, his forward pressure didn't require standing on train tracks (more of a zig zag), way better on top (maybe a wash because no one is getting ridden), but the big thing to me is that he seemed reckless while always in control...the guy was scary, brook is just really good. 

• Bob 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

sanderson's motion was way better (best ever), he knew way way way more positions, his forward pressure didn't require standing on train tracks (more of a zig zag), way better on top (maybe a wash because no one is getting ridden), but the big thing to me is that he seemed reckless while always in control...the guy was scary, brook is just really good. 

^^^ this ^^^ Cael was always moving, continual motion, he'd just be rolling with the opponent picking up back points etc you'd look at the clock and he'd have 4.5 min of riding time and it just looked effortless.  Also Cael isn't a good enough coach to teach anyone how to beat him.  😉

• Bob 1

7 minutes ago, JuanMogen said:

You trying to make baby Jesus cry with this thread? 

Nobody wants that. If you make baby Jesus cry you'll have to deal with the entire PSU team. 

7 hours ago, ionel said:

he'd just be rolling with the opponent picking up back points

I was recently rewatching his finals, and he would tilt with what looked like a hug, like he just gently wraps his arms around the dude -- no lock -- and leans over. Crazy.

Edited by jackwebster

8 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I will see your 2002 Sanderson motion and raise you the 2024 Sanderson sequencing.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I will see your 2002 Sanderson motion and raise you the 2024 Sanderson sequencing.

oh man if only he'd known about sequencing back in the day.....all those matches he tried something and it didn't work so he just quit for the rest of the match would have been way different.

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

I think Cael vs AB is much closer to a toss up than what most would like to believe.  The year prior down at 184 Cormier gave the mythical Cael quite a scrap and got a takedown in the 3rd to make it a 1 point match prior to Daniel having a brain fart and giving up the reversal.  If Cael wrestled AB in their primes 10 times I wouldn't be surprised if they split.  AB is going into WTT as an underdog to DT and although unlikely most won't or shouldn't find it shocking if he pulled off taking the spot.  That's how good he is

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

I think Cael vs AB is much closer to a toss up than what most would like to believe.  The year prior down at 184 Cormier gave the mythical Cael quite a scrap and got a takedown in the 3rd to make it a 1 point match prior to Daniel having a brain fart and giving up the reversal.  If Cael wrestled AB in their primes 10 times I wouldn't be surprised if they split.  AB is going into WTT as an underdog to DT and although unlikely most won't or shouldn't find it shocking if he pulled off taking the spot.  That's how good he is

I'm not disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, but cormier had five seconds of success in that entire match off a snapdown go behind, cael was in on his legs that entire match.  Cael didn't do a great job finishing that, but that's a match cormier loses 19/20 times, maybe 29/30 times, the one standalone being him just bullrushing and getting a throw for points or a pin.  

It was the closest match he had in the finals...maybe in college even, but the match was not close.  Cael had a number of leg attacks that were deep but he ran out of time on or got stalemated.  

I would also put DC in there as a guy who could give brooks a run for his money.  DC lacked the leg offense to do anything purposeful against super top tier guys, but dude was a brooks level bruiser. 

4 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Nope!  First off Brooks is too short and second ... well just plain no.  

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

I'm not disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing, but cormier had five seconds of success in that entire match off a snapdown go behind, cael was in on his legs that entire match.  Cael didn't do a great job finishing that, but that's a match cormier loses 19/20 times, maybe 29/30 times, the one standalone being him just bullrushing and getting a throw for points or a pin.  

It was the closest match he had in the finals...maybe in college even, but the match was not close.  Cael had a number of leg attacks that were deep but he ran out of time on or got stalemated.  

I would also put DC in there as a guy who could give brooks a run for his money.  DC lacked the leg offense to do anything purposeful against super top tier guys, but dude was a brooks level bruiser. 

Since Cael never lost in college, I think Cormier loses 19/19 times or 29/29 times.  Or 100/100 times.  

Cael did lose in FS a few matches, but never in college.   He was dominant on top and rode like the wind. 

mspart

• Bob 1