I bet JB is scared.

19 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Reposting my comments on another thread:

Jordan Burroughs: I just don't see it happening.  Too much to ask of the old guy.

What tough tourney did JB just win?  If you're referring to Yasar Dogu, the field was watered-down because it was not a ranking series event this year. 

He hasn't made scratch 74kg since he lost the OTT to Dake in April '21.  His two recent events at 74kg (Yasar Dogu, March '24; Kunaev, Nov '23) were both single-day events with a 2kg weight allowance. 

74kg was always a tough cut for him. At the OTT, He'll have to make scratch weight both days AND win the challenge bracket.  Going back to when he first made a World Team in 2011, Burroughs has NEVER had to go through a challenge tourney bracket to make a World or Olympic team.  He won the US Open in 2011 to get a bye, and This year, he'll have to go through the following just to get to Dake:

• 2023 Bill Farrell champion – Jason Nolf (Nittany Lion WC)
  • 2024 NCAA D1 champion at 165 lbs - David Carr (Iowa State)
  • 2024 NCAA D1 champion at 174 lbs - Carter Starocci (Penn State)
  • 2023 U20 World champion – Mitchell Mesenbrink (Askren Wrestling Academy)
  • 2023 U23 World champion – Keegan O'Toole (Tiger Style WC)
  • 2023 Senior Nationals champion – Quincy Monday (NJRTC/Titan Mercury WC)
  • 2023 Senior Nationals 2nd place – Alex Marinelli (Hawkeye WC/Titan Mercury WC)
  • 2023 Senior Nationals 3rd place – Alex Facundo (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)
  • 2023 Senior Nationals 4th place – Jarrett Jacques (Tiger Style WC)
  • 2023 Senior Nationals 5th place – Tyler Berger (Pennsylvania RTC)
  • 2024 NCAA D1 champion at 157 lbs - Levi Haines (Penn State)
  • Whomever survives the 34-man Last Chance Qualifier bracket (Vincenzo Joseph?)

I get that Burroughs may be too old now, but lets not pretend that he couldn't of won a challenge tournament to make a team after 2011, he just didn't have to.   He sent Dake and Taylor to different weight classes.  

These are just the list of guys in the challenge tournament which always has multiple time NCAA champs.  If JB loses it will be to to father time, not because he had to go through a bracket with Jarrett Jacques in it. 

• Bob 4
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Jordan Burroughs: I just don't see it happening.  Too much to ask of the old guy.

What tough tourney did JB just win?  If you're referring to Yasar Dogu, the field was watered-down because it was not a ranking series event this year. 

He hasn't made scratch 74kg since he lost the OTT to Dake in April '21.  His two recent events at 74kg (Yasar Dogu, March '24; Kunaev, Nov '23) were both single-day events with a 2kg weight allowance. 

74kg was always a tough cut for him. At the OTT, He'll have to make scratch weight both days AND win the challenge bracket.  Going back to when he first made a World Team in 2011, Burroughs has NEVER had to go through a challenge tourney bracket to make a World or Olympic team.  He won the US Open in 2011 to get a bye, and This year, he'll have to go through the following just to get to Dake:

• 2023 Senior Nationals 2nd place – Alex Marinelli (Hawkeye WC/Titan Mercury WC)
  • 2023 Senior Nationals 3rd place – Alex Facundo (Nittany Lion WC/Titan Mercury WC)

He does not have to go through all these guys, though, just 3 or 4 of them.

• Bob 1

43 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

He does not have to go through all these guys, though, just 3 or 4 of them.

I think it ends up being 2 or 3, depending on if everyone does show up, not 3 or 4.  He actually has it pretty good, even if Retherford decides to sit the the semi-finals on bottom.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Will they seed him with the toughest or give him a break?   I personally don't think he needs a break.   Retherford is obviously scared of JB and Dake because he opted to go 65kg ha ha.  

But I am concerned about JB saving strength for Dake when he gets on that stage.   If he feels on that day like I do 2 days after changing the EGR valve in my wife's car, he won't be doing too well. 

mspart

Edited by mspart

1 hour ago, mspart said:

Will they seed him with the toughest or give him a break?   I personally don't think he needs a break.   Retherford is obviously scared of JB and Dake because he opted to go 65kg ha ha.  

But I am concerned about JB saving strength for Dake when he gets on that stage.   If he feels on that day like I do 2 days after changing the EGR valve in my wife's car, he won't be doing too well. 

mspart

I think JB knows he can't save anything in the tank against Nolf.

Nolf is close.

• Brain 2

On 3/31/2024 at 4:35 PM, lu_alum said:

that is a thick bracket!

All of the weights are really tough.   A bunch of hammers out there.   No wonder there are so many using their dual citizenship.   I think JB has a very good chance to win the mini tourney.   I don't think he has much chance against Dake but he has been working hard, I'm sure, on figuring him out and practicing practicing and practicing.   If anyone has a chance against Dake, it is JB.   I think he is #2 in the weight but he  might be able to do it. 

mspart

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, BloodRound said:

So what round does Carter get knocked out of the championship bracket?

If he is the 4/5 and David Carr is the other 4/5 I think David Carr is beating him.

If he is the 6, as Nomad thinks it should be, he will lose to O'Toole.  Hell, using what Nomad thinks as projected seeds he would see Shapiro before he sees O'Toole and Starocci hasn't been 74 KG since he was in diapers so there is a huge unknown.

• Bob 1

He had a good NCAA tournament and it was a great story.  OTT could be very very ugly for him.  Between the weight cut and the knee, he is asking for problems.  It is likely that the weight cut alone will put him at a disadvantage to guys like Carr and O'Toole.

Another thing to think about: He can't wear a knee brace in freestyle.  If the knee is anything like we have been led to believe, a leg lace isn't going to feel great.  He didn't like it when Dieringer was about to lace him up a year ago.  He might like it even less now.

53 minutes ago, mspart said:

Maybe Carter just doesn't show up. 

mspart

I wonder how his weight management is going. If he doesn't win OTTs, making the World or even U23 team at a tweener weight in an Oly year will be an attractive option

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

He had a good NCAA tournament and it was a great story.  OTT could be very very ugly for him.  Between the weight cut and the knee, he is asking for problems.  It is likely that the weight cut alone will put him at a disadvantage to guys like Carr and O'Toole.

Another thing to think about: He can't wear a knee brace in freestyle.  If the knee is anything like we have been led to believe, a leg lace isn't going to feel great.  He didn't like it when Dieringer was about to lace him up a year ago.  He might like it even less now.

Retherford is pretty ruthless... I bet if he gets a chance he throws in his famous bow and arrow and tears Starocci's leg straight off the bone. This bracket is going to be hell for the Penn State faithful. 

6 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

Retherford is pretty ruthless... I bet if he gets a chance he throws in his famous bow and arrow and tears Starocci's leg straight off the bone. This bracket is going to be hell for the Penn State faithful. 

Just now seeing Retherford is confirmed at 65kg. I don't envy these tough cuts. Anyways, back to my bucket of KFC... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pokemonster said:

Starocci isn't going 65 KG, so no worries there.

17 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

I could've sworn I saw some posts saying Zain was going 74, but 65 makes a lot more sense

74 KG is/was wishful thinking and I am sorry if it led to you thinking it.  He had to notify by the 25th what weight and he sakd 65 KG.

he better hope he does not draw a Valencia/desanto/gross off the scale or if he does he puts them away in the first because their pace could get sketchy for him in the second after that cut.

12 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

he better hope he does not draw a Valencia/desanto/gross off the scale or if he does he puts them away in the first because their pace could get sketchy for him in the second after that cut.

He's got all day to recover. Retherford and Arujau have the best scenario possible for hard cuts since 57 and 65 didn't medal therefore no challenge tourney final. They won't wrestle until the evening so all day to recover, just the single semi match, and then the best of three finals the next day against the other semi winner.

i am an idiot on the internet