Brands crying in interview?

So when talking about PSU accomplishments do you also say Cael is consistently the best funded coach in the country? Need to hold him to the same standard. 

Iowa is spending $30 million on a new “world class wrestling facility”. They have more than enough money. They don’t have any new ideas or blood, though.

Meanwhile, Penn State could be wrestling out of an old Quonset hut and still drawing better recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Hwt1 said:

Are you serious? Brands is a far superior coach than Dresser. Dresser is 61, he is probably about ready to hang it up. In addition, he is in his 7th year at ISU and this is the first time he has finished in the top 10. He still hasn’t beat Iowa in a dual. Brands is 55. In the last 17 years he has finished in the top 5 every year, including 4 national titles (5 if no Covid). 

This may be one of Brands best years as a coach. 2024 was going to be a rebuilding year after Spencer Lee, Warner, Murin graduated. Then you throw in losing 4 other returning starters (including a returning 24 NCAA points from Cassioppi and Brands) and he still finishes top 5. That is not an excuse and he never said it was, but how many other coaches could lose 70% of their starters and finish top 5? Dresser still couldn’t beat him in a dual and finished only 1.5 points ahead at NCAA. And it took 2 points from a lucky medical forfeit in the 5/6th place match at 141 to even do that (their second to last match in tournament). 

I know you all hate Brands, but show him some respect. Dresser couldn’t hold his jock as a wrestler or a coach.

Brands is a good coach no doubt, but I always thought he benefited from exceptionally good timing at the start of his tenure in Iowa City.  He took over a top 10 team coinciding with the state of Iowas best recruiting class in the past 25 years, and at a time when rival schools OSU and MN were resetting. Those schools has crazy good teams the 6 years before he got the Iowa job - 120+ team points at NCAAs every year, the 10AA squad, the 5 champ squad.  Then during Iowas run under Brands they were rebuilding.  The best team Iowa had to contend with during their championship run was 2009 Ohio State (92 team points).  A lot of coaches could have been successful with those recruits against that field of teams.

Contrast that with what Dresser took over at VT.  A 1-16 team that had all of its recruits leave.  Or what he took over at ISU a 1-12 team that was 57th at NCAAs. He got both teams to top 5 finishes at NCAAs ahead of Iowa.  In 2016 VT was 4th at NCAAs ahead of Iowa (5th) and this year ISU was 4th at NCAAs ahead of Iowa (5th).

He might not have beaten Iowa in a dual yet, but Brands also refused to schedule VT to this day so this really is only and ISU thing.  In his second season he had them competitive with the Hawkeyes losing a 19-18 dual that required Stoll to take the mat on a knee that was not 100% because of an offseason gunshot injury.  He is 0-6 against Iowa in duals, but I think he gets a win sometime soon which is great for the rivalry.  Sanderson was 0-3 against Iowa in duals as ISU head coach.  So if Dresser does it next season he will have done something even Sanderson could not.

30 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Brands is a good coach no doubt, but I always thought he benefited from exceptionally good timing at the start of his tenure in Iowa City.  He took over a top 10 team coinciding with the state of Iowas best recruiting class in the past 25 years, and at a time when rival schools OSU and MN were resetting. Those schools has crazy good teams the 6 years before he got the Iowa job - 120+ team points at NCAAs every year, the 10AA squad, the 5 champ squad.  Then during Iowas run under Brands they were rebuilding.  The best team Iowa had to contend with during their championship run was 2009 Ohio State (92 team points).  A lot of coaches could have been successful with those recruits against that field of teams.

Contrast that with what Dresser took over at VT.  A 1-16 team that had all of its recruits leave.  Or what he took over at ISU a 1-12 team that was 57th at NCAAs. He got both teams to top 5 finishes at NCAAs ahead of Iowa.  In 2016 VT was 4th at NCAAs ahead of Iowa (5th) and this year ISU was 4th at NCAAs ahead of Iowa (5th).

He might not have beaten Iowa in a dual yet, but Brands also refused to schedule VT to this day so this really is only and ISU thing.  In his second season he had them competitive with the Hawkeyes losing a 19-18 dual that required Stoll to take the mat on a knee that was not 100% because of an offseason gunshot injury.  He is 0-6 against Iowa in duals, but I think he gets a win sometime soon which is great for the rivalry.  Sanderson was 0-3 against Iowa in duals as ISU head coach.  So if Dresser does it next season he will have done something even Sanderson could not.

Really solid comparison. I'm not in tune with the happenings at Iowa, but the fact that all of the golden boys of the program (Brent Metcalf, (maybe) Derek St. John, Tony Ramos, Gilman) that seemed to embody their "Iowa style" the most, all left on bad terms, seems telling to me. 

Edited by pokemonster

I did not think Tom looked like he was going to cry. I mean, not even close. Believe it or not there is a lot of parity in college wrestling. I know that sounds stupid on the surface because PSU is so far ahead of everyone. However, after PSU there is just parity. I think Iowa has still been the second best program since Cael got to Penn State but it's pretty clear that a lot of other programs are now closing the gap with Iowa or have closed the gap with Iowa. I enjoyed the interview because I like how Tom Brands is more candid than most in interviews. I like Tom as a coach and person to be honest and I do think he is still the second best head coach in the sport.

38 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I absolutely agree with this post.  I live in Missouri but I'd drive to Ames or Iowa City for that dual.  That win over the Hawkeyes is coming, as is the train that Dresser is building in Ames.  It's a dual I fear when they come to Columbia to dual the Tigers.  Big props.

6 hours ago, Hwt1 said:

You have stated opinions, not facts:

”Iowa would be in a much better position today if they had Dresser”

”If Brands was at ISU, they would not be close to where they are today”

You refuse to recognize the facts I have said:

Brands has been in top 5 17 years in a row, including 4/5 championships. Other than Cael, name a coach that can say that. Smith can’t, Ryan can’t, Michigan can’t, Cornell can’t. And sure as heck Dresser can’t. Only twice in 17 years. That is why Iowa is 2nd best program.

Of course it is easier to improve performance from an over 20 team to something respectable (top 10 once in a while). But can he keep it there or just be every few years. That is lot easier than trying to take over a dominant / generational powerhouse like Cael, Gable. Will Dresser be a failure if can’t beat Cael? Brands replaced 70% of his lineup and still finished top 5. Good luck to Dresser if he has to do that.

You exaggerate grossly. Yes Brands had 4 championships, but 2 of them were before Cael came to Penn State and their run began. Furthermore yes Iowa has been top 5 for the past 17 years, however they always were in the top 5 so to act like thats the measuring stick for success is very disingenuous.

Yes its easier to improve a poorly performing team, HOWEVER a team like Iowa should NEVER fall below those teams. NEVER, not even once so yes the fact that Dresser was able to out place Iowa with 2 different programs speaks volumes. With VaTech he rebuilt a gutted program and with ISU he did it with a team that lost a team point. You obviously are satisfied with Iowa and Brands performance in being a top 5 team, but go check out the Hawkeyereport. Many Iowa fans are not and have a much higher expectation than you. Since Penn States run began in 2011. Iowa has placed 2nd TWICE, yet you crown them as the 2nd best program.

16 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Are we talking about Ayala here?  The Brands have a swimming pool full of crocodile tears when it comes to their 125/133 pound guys.  I'm just going to leave a list of names here, and we'll see what sorts of stories come to mind.  Specifically self-serving manipulation, playing each other against 

Tony Ramos, Dan Dennis, Thomas Gilman, Spencer Lee, Drake Ayala.  

Tony Ramos was the guy, they brought in Dennis.  Dennis stopped wrestling so it didn't become a problem with Gilman, but ~2016 Flo was doing pre-Olympic coverage, Dennis doesn't have that level of ego, but "Did you guys see Gilman kick my ass? That was ridiculous."

Gilman left (ostensibly) because the Brands brought spencer lee in.

The main initial sign of a rift between the brands and Spencer Lee was them making him wrestle Ayala early last season, which was a whole situation which just burnt everyone's relationships with one another.  

The brands care about themselves first and foremost.  If it weren't that way, this near decade-long carousel of recruiting over the top of their current guys wouldn't be a thing.  

They are obviously by no means the only coaches to do it, but please excuse me if I turn my nose up at the concept of them actually caring about their guys in a way that exceeds their interest in their own ego. 

This is a little more than just a list of names.  

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I get what you’re saying, but he makes good money “selling juice and coaching club.”   Iowa would need to make it worth his while, it’s not like he’s just going to be willing to uproot his entire life just because he wants a challenge.   I don’t see them offering what it would take to get him, or even moreso, firing the second most successful active coach to bring in a guy with no college coaching experience.

1) his lack of experience, I agree if i were picking I'd take cunningham, but factor in donor hype and recruiting, two aspects which have never been more important, then taylor is a whole tier above.

2) Iowa is the place that can make it worth his while. And lets say it didn't quite make financial sense but was close, whether or not Taylor wants to be a college head is gonna supersede a relatively small financial disparity.

3) As far as uprooting his life, no one wants to do that of course, but he's exactly the person that wouldn't hesitate too. The fact that he's doing club, juice (seems like his wife does most of that just giving her credit), dad, train, and farm....this is a guy who can't sit still.

Not saying you're wrong just adding nuance. I'd love to see it happen also that undermines the integrity of my claims too.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

4 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

Penn State will keep this train rolling forever so long as their primary opponent keeps lauding 5th place finishes. 

No one at Iowa is satisfied with top 5 finishes, Tom has repeatedly said championships are the goal. At the same time, you do have to be realistic and recognize this is a generational dynasty with what Cael has done, similar to Gable. No one stopped Gable’s run - he retired at age 49 after the 1997 championship team (the same team that it took 27 years for someone to finally beat their scoring record). Otherwise, he would have continued for another 10 years or so.

But you have to be careful you don’t put yourself in a Frank Solich situation like Nebby football. And that comparison is not even fair to Tom, he had a championship in 2021 and would have been back to back in 2020. Name another coach they could get that could do better? Ryan hasn’t done it at OSU, Smith hasn’t won since mid-2000, Michigan and Cornell haven’t found a coach that has won it. Certainly not Dresser, he is 61. It is going to take a new generational type coach. JB and Askren have said they don’t want to coach college. DT probably isn’t leaving his situation. Maybe Cunningham if he would leave, but he would probably choose CMU if willing to leave. So who else, Dake, when will he be done? Brands is signed through 2029. Spencer has indicated going through 2028 cycle. He is a possibility. Brands has Arnold, Kueter, youngest Ferrari and others. Plus the portal. Can he do it again like 2020 and 2021? We will see. Penn State is loaded, but I don’t see anyone else making a better attempt. But go ahead and criticize Tom, I get it that most of you hate him. 

18 minutes ago, Hwt1 said:

No one at Iowa is satisfied with top 5 finishes, Tom has repeatedly said championships are the goal. At the same time, you do have to be realistic and recognize this is a generational dynasty with what Cael has done, similar to Gable. No one stopped Gable’s run - he retired at age 49 after the 1997 championship team (the same team that it took 27 years for someone to finally beat their scoring record). Otherwise, he would have continued for another 10 years or so.

But you have to be careful you don’t put yourself in a Frank Solich situation like Nebby football. And that comparison is not even fair to Tom, he had a championship in 2021 and would have been back to back in 2020. Name another coach they could get that could do better? Ryan hasn’t done it at OSU, Smith hasn’t won since mid-2000, Michigan and Cornell haven’t found a coach that has won it. Certainly not Dresser, he is 61. It is going to take a new generational type coach. JB and Askren have said they don’t want to coach college. DT probably isn’t leaving his situation. Maybe Cunningham if he would leave, but he would probably choose CMU if willing to leave. So who else, Dake, when will he be done? Brands is signed through 2029. Spencer has indicated going through 2028 cycle. He is a possibility. Brands has Arnold, Kueter, youngest Ferrari and others. Plus the portal. Can he do it again like 2020 and 2021? We will see. Penn State is loaded, but I don’t see anyone else making a better attempt. But go ahead and criticize Tom, I get it that most of you hate him. 

This is false due to the fact that Iowa has only placed 2nd behind PSU twice since 2011. tOSU, Okie State, Cornell, Minnesota all would have had titles during those years if PSU never came about. You cannot declare Iowa the perennial number 2 team, when they have not regularly been number 2.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY

2 hours ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

You exaggerate grossly. Yes Brands had 4 championships, but 2 of them were before Cael came to Penn State and their run began. Furthermore yes Iowa has been top 5 for the past 17 years, however they always were in the top 5 so to act like thats the measuring stick for success is very disingenuous.

Yes its easier to improve a poorly performing team, HOWEVER a team like Iowa should NEVER fall below those teams. NEVER, not even once so yes the fact that Dresser was able to out place Iowa with 2 different programs speaks volumes. With VaTech he rebuilt a gutted program and with ISU he did it with a team that lost a team point. You obviously are satisfied with Iowa and Brands performance in being a top 5 team, but go check out the Hawkeyereport. Many Iowa fans are not and have a much higher expectation than you. Since Penn States run began in 2011. Iowa has placed 2nd TWICE, yet you crown them as the 2nd best program.

Exaggerate grossly??? I simply stated his 17 NCAA top 5 finishes and 4/5 championships. Both facts. You said Iowa has only finished 2nd TWICE since 2011. True, but you are forgetting the 2020 and 2021 Firsts (yes, counting 2020). And then 4 3rds. Regarding being satisfied with top 5, I am not - see my other recent response on that.

”A team like Iowa should NEVER finish below those teams. NEVER, not even once”.

Be careful when saying NEVER. I seem to recall Penn State finishing SIXTH in 2015, below teams like Edinboro and Missouri. And in 2020 they got 4th at Big Ten, 50 points behind Iowa. So another likely 5/6 at NCAA.

Regarding Dresser, he had his best team at ISU ever and still only beat Iowa by 1.5. A Iowa team that everyone knew was in a rebuilding year after losing Spencer, Warner, Murin and then 4 starters including Cassioppi and Brands to gambling. Plus he held Arnold and Kueter out. Not excuses and not satisfied with 5th, but realistic fans knew it would be a difficult year and Dresser barely beat them with his best team. 

21 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

This is false due to the fact that Iowa has only placed 2nd behind PSU twice since 2011. tOSU, Okie State, Cornell, Minnesota all would have had titles during those years if PSU never came about. You cannot declare Iowa the perennial number 2 team, when they have not regularly been number 2.

What does that have to do with what Gable could have done from 1998 to 2008???

22 hours ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Is he really though?

Since 2011 when PSU's run of team titles started his teams have finished

2011 3rd
2012 3rd
2013 4th
2014 4th
2015 2nd
2016 5th
2017 4th
2018 3rd
2019 4th
2020 Cancelled but presumably 1st
2021 1st
2022 3rd
2023 2nd
2024 5th

So using imperfect science of removing PSU would have garnered them 2 more team titles than they currently have, mean while Cornell would have 2 titles, okie state, Minnesota, TOSU would all have a few team titles sprinkled in there.. its kind of tough to say hes consistently the 2nd best when theres only 2 2nd place finishes since 2011... and even if he is, i don't think hes that far ahead to say hes been definitively the 2nd best...

This, by Iowa standards, has to be considered mediocre right? Not a Hawkeye fan, but yikes.

Zalesky (8 years): 3 team titles, 2 runner-ups, 0 3rds, 1 4th, 0 5ths, 2 outside the top 5's (one 7th and one 8th).

Brands (13{14} years) : 4(5) team titles, 2 runner-ups, 3 3rds, 1 4th, 2 5th, 1 outside the top 5 (8th).

Similar resumes imo.

12 hours ago, NM1965 said:

He finished ahead of Iowa at NCAA this year. 

Right. Once Iowa starts slipping behind ISU, Brands will really be on the hot seat. I'm not saying that Iowa's behind ISU right now. But things got very uncomfortable for Zalesky  when he finished behind ISU at nationals and dropped a couple of Cy-Hawks. It wasn't the cause of his firing but it did add a lot of fuel to the fire.

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

This, by Iowa standards, has to be considered mediocre right? Not a Hawkeye fan, but yikes.

Zalesky (8 years): 3 team titles, 2 runner-ups, 0 3rds, 1 4th, 0 5ths, 2 outside the top 5's (one 7th and one 8th).

Brands (13{14} years) : 4(5) team titles, 2 runner-ups, 3 3rds, 1 4th, 2 5th, 1 outside the top 5 (8th).

Similar resumes imo.

Not really.  All of Zalesky's titles came right after Gable left, and the program was trending generally downward after that.  Brands took over a down version of the program, won three titles in a row fairly quickly, then Penn State became the current Voltron it is (something Zalesky didn't have to compete with) Brands then got the program back to win another title and be in a position to with another but for COVID.  If you remove Brands first year, where 4 huge recruits were not allowed to wrestle, Brands has never been outside the top 5, and even if you include that year, Zalesky had more years outside the top 5 in 8 years than Brands has had in 15.

• Stalling 1

6 hours ago, Le duke said:

Meanwhile, Penn State could be wrestling out of an old Quonset hut and still drawing better recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penn State trains in a replica of Noah’s ark dressed like their favorite animals. Still beat Iowa by over 100 points. 

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Not really.  All of Zalesky's titles came right after Gable left, and the program was trending generally downward after that.  Brands took over a down version of the program, won three titles in a row fairly quickly, then Penn State became the current Voltron it is (something Zalesky didn't have to compete with) Brands then got the program back to win another title and be in a position to with another but for COVID.  If you remove Brands first year, where 4 huge recruits were not allowed to wrestle, Brands has never been outside the top 5, and even if you include that year, Zalesky had more years outside the top 5 in 8 years than Brands has had in 15.

All fair statements. I redact my comment about comparable resumes. 

• Stalling 1

1 hour ago, Hwt1 said:

Exaggerate grossly??? I simply stated his 17 NCAA top 5 finishes and 4/5 championships. Both facts. You said Iowa has only finished 2nd TWICE since 2011. True, but you are forgetting the 2020 and 2021 Firsts (yes, counting 2020). And then 4 3rds. Regarding being satisfied with top 5, I am not - see my other recent response on that.

”A team like Iowa should NEVER finish below those teams. NEVER, not even once”.

Be careful when saying NEVER. I seem to recall Penn State finishing SIXTH in 2015, below teams like Edinboro and Missouri. And in 2020 they got 4th at Big Ten, 50 points behind Iowa. So another likely 5/6 at NCAA.

Regarding Dresser, he had his best team at ISU ever and still only beat Iowa by 1.5. A Iowa team that everyone knew was in a rebuilding year after losing Spencer, Warner, Murin and then 4 starters including Cassioppi and Brands to gambling. Plus he held Arnold and Kueter out. Not excuses and not satisfied with 5th, but realistic fans knew it would be a difficult year and Dresser barely beat them with his best team. 

You grossly exaggerated how bad Zalesky was compared to Brands. Spin it however way you want, but on paper theyre pretty similar. Still I will concede with the edge going to Brands mostly due to longevity, a dual recruiting class with number 1 transfer Brent Metcalf (if Kirkvliet is considered a transfer then so is Metcalf), and landing Spencer Lee, a wrestler who would have been great no matter where he went. Spencer made Iowa better not the other way around. Spencer may credit his success to Iowa, but i call it cognitive dissonance. 

I didnt forget the 2021 title. I absolutely included it, however Tom Ryan also has a team title in 2015 and has more 2nd place finishes than Iowa. You want to claim a title for 2020? Fine, but that season PSU was ranked number 1 ahead of Iowa until Cassar got injured at US Nationals. Had he not been injured, PSU would have been the front runner and Seth Nevils would not have been in the line up. If you remember, the dual that season came down to heavyweight. Cassar does not lose to freshman Tony Cassiopi (the most successful version I might add.) 

Finally when the heck did the discussion turn to including if Gable had stayed? If Gable had stayed and his health allowed I believe the program would be in better shape!

Penn States 6th place finish was a deliberate Punt season so its justified. Iowa has never deliberately punted. Using that as an example its purely disingenuous and you know it. 

Dresser's programs continues to improve. His wrestlers continue to improve. Its sad you refuse to give Dresser his due credit. I 100% whole heartedly believe Iowa would be better in Dresser's hands. l also whole heartedly believe ISU would not be where it is today if Brands was running the show there. 

Bottomline is under Brands the program will not have its return to glory days. Hes only getting older and his style is outdated. Iowa wrestlers are not dynamic, and they peak way too early in the season and their careers and end up battered and beaten. Spencer Lee's healthy was poorly mismanaged. Real Woods was expected to be head and shoulders ahead of the field yet declined. He "didnt look like himself." Seems to be an undeniable pattern over there. Kaleb Young goes from an NCAA semifinalist and AA while handling Ryan Deakin multiple times to not AAing as a senior as Deakin improves and wins an NCAA title. I wont mention Marinelli or Kemmerer. Too many examples to give here to support my stance of Brands NOT being the 2nd best coach in NCAA wrestling. Dint get me wrong, hes a great coach for sure, but not 2nd best.

Finally, yes they lost starters due to the gambling scandle (which i agree is BS), but much of that loss was mitigated by 2 AA transfers so your whole "they lost 70% of their starters" comment is also disingenuous. If anything they were better off with Franek and Caliendo at 157 and 165, 2 guys they probably wouldnt have gone for had the scandle not happened. Abe Assad doesnt AA and is comparable to Kennedy at 174 (edge to Kennedy imo.) Nelson Brands, maybe AA. Cassiopi a lower AA (6th at best) but also probably loses to Yonger Bastida. 

17 hours ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Its good to know youre so knowledgeable about who who and what makes a good coach. You must be like the greatest athletic director in the universe. ,aybe Iowa should put you in charge of finding replacing Tom Brands. Youre right youre not my buddy, you are an arrogant pretentious punk.

Oh, I wouldn't say that I'm all 'that' knowledgeable.

I'd say knowledgeable enough to form and have an opinion and even defend it a bit.

I don't think that makes me arrogant, pretentious, or a punk. Don't be angry that we disagree. No need for that.

On 3/25/2024 at 5:31 AM, 1032004 said:

Yes he is.  I believe @Wrestleknownothing has shown the chart with average finish or something in the last 10-15 years and Iowa was well ahead of the third place team, which I think was Cornell IIRC.

Cornell, think about it.  No scholarships and high barriers.  Koll was an incredible coach.  Grey has also proven a lot in the last two years.  So proud to be affiliated with this amazing programs.  BTW, it all started with my coach, Andy Noel, who went on to become athletic director, holding the reigns while this all evolved.

Edited by Not the Real Scribe