Will Ohio State Be Too Dog Next Year?

Just now, Rassling said:

I posted a video of the celebratory mood among Ryan and Sasso after the Mendez win. Sasso looked HEALTHY and HAPPY!

Sasso recently said one of his legs is still royally fckd.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Nhs - you said something last night that literally made me laugh out loud. I left you a laugh emoji which is rare for me. Most do it to insult but mine was complimentary I assure you!

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

The process of rebuilding the neural pathways to his leg is wild. Ryan said Sammy's been learning to wrestle with mostly one leg until the other one is rehabbed

• Bob 2

7 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

RBY wrestled as a true freshman and exhausted his eligibility. He made a big dramatic announcement his senior year about returning for a final season and wrestled a half ass schedule before lostng to Vito at NCAAs last year.

For the current PSU seniors with eligibility left, NIL $$$ might tip the scales in favor of them staying. I'm under the impression that they make some decent coin, likely more than they'd make if they left. Barlett was in national ad campaigns for Gatorade and had a deal with a restaurant chain; Starocci and Brooks had a deal with a Healthcare network. And son on.

Caitlin Clark has demonstrated the value of NIL sponsorships to companies and brands. She's making around $3mil (estimated) this season and may have opened the doors athletes outside of football & basketball to receive more or better likeness deals. If a wrestler could make just 2% of what she brings in, it would be well worth their while to extend eligibility.

Tell you what, when I need a better understanding of something wrestling related, I look to see what Chromebord has to say.  This guy knows his stuff.

• Bob 2
  • Clown 1

4 minutes ago, Rassling said:

Nhs - you said something last night that literally made me laugh out loud. I left you a laugh emoji which is rare for me. Most do it to insult but mine was complimentary I assure you!

I am simply here to entertain.

90% of the time I fail all the time.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, Rassling said:

Tell you what, when I need a better understanding of something wrestling related, I look to see what Chromebord has to say.  This guy knows his stuff.

It was a compliment- nothing more

Just now, nhs67 said:

I am simply here to entertain.

90% of the time I fail all the time.

You’re one of the rare few who can successfully convey in writing what you say live and in person . Hope that makes sense. 

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I really don't though. I'm like the DC of the internet, drunk and spoutin off my opinions to anyone and no one who will listen

Yea but you know your shit and it’s quite obvious 

4 hours ago, Elevator said:

What is the word w Nebraska and a succession plan?  Many schools find room for wrestling coaches who have served in the athletic administration.  

When has Manning served in the Athletic Administration? Hasn't he only been the coach?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

4 hours ago, Paul158 said:

I wonder how Penn State would do next year without their 6th year seniors. They would win but it would be a lot more interesting. 

PSU's problem is they have too many top wrestlers, not too few. In addition to getting Van Ness back from injury, they bring Facundo back from ORS. They also have the top rated recruiting class coming in. On top of all of that, they have demonstrated a certain skill with the transfer portal. Embarassment of riches comes to mind.

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

125: Vinny Kilkeary / Brendan McCrone

133: Nik Bouzakis / Ben Davino RS

141: Jesse Mendez / Brandon Cannon

149: Dylan D'Emilio / Ethen Birden RS

157: Paddy Gallagher / Isaac Wilcox

165: Bryce Hepner

174: Rocco Welsh

184: Ryder Rogotzke / Seth Shumate

197: Luke Geog

285: Nick Feldman

• Bob 1

17 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I hope they're able to get Bouzakis to reach his potential. People forget he has beaten Jesse Mendez multiple times in freestyle. I think he needs to lay off the energy drinks, candy, and become more disciplined. 

As far as the others, hoping OSU can get something out of their St. Eds guys (Paddy, Hepner, Geog). Could become a great pipeline but for whatever reason they underperformed. Lance Palmer was the first and only truly successful (All-American) Eds to Ohio State dude iirc. 

Edited by pokemonster
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

34 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

PSU's problem is they have too many top wrestlers, not too few. In addition to getting Van Ness back from injury, they bring Facundo back from ORS. They also have the top rated recruiting class coming in. On top of all of that, they have demonstrated a certain skill with the transfer portal. Embarassment of riches comes to mind.

At some point I would think they will lose some of the outstanding talent they have to the portal. If I was a top 10 wrestler, I would have a hard time sitting on the bench for a year or 2. With all of the NIL money floating around you would think it would start happening. It's great to be wrestling for a phenomenal team with great coaches, but if you can't make the line-up, ( because you have an NCAA Champion in front you) and you could start on just about any other team. I wouldn't blame them for going into the portal. It's a good problem to have if you are Penn State.

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

At some point I would think they will lose some of the outstanding talent they have to the portal. If I was a top 10 wrestler, I would have a hard time sitting on the bench for a year or 2. With all of the NIL money floating around you would think it would start happening. It's great to be wrestling for a phenomenal team with great coaches, but if you can't make the line-up, ( because you have an NCAA Champion in front you) and you could start on just about any other team. I wouldn't blame them for going into the portal. It's a good problem to have if you are Penn State.

It has happened already. Most notably in this tournament are Michael Beard, Brody Teske, and Seth Nevills. Before that Jarod Verkleeren transferred to Virginia for two years after four at PSU. There are probably others I am forgetting, and there will certainly be more.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Rby could’ve came back again this year and didn’t , Cassar passed up years ..penn state isnt Iowa where guys wrestle til their limbs fall off 

RBY never did a redshirt so not the case there. 

Perhaps these guys will be different, I’m just not going to take it at face value that they’re leaving when we’ve seen this song and dance before. Starocci and Kerkvliet stand to make quite a bit of money next year if they do return.  Either they’re telling the truth or it’s a negotiating tactic. 

I don’t think they need all three, but they would definitely benefit most from Kerk returning, so if I’m Cael I’d start there. Starocci is amazing but they have other very good options at his weight. Bartlett surplus to requirements unless they want to RS Kasak. 

• Bob 1

I have no idea how they’re going to get full four years out of Haines, Mesenbrink, Sealey, PJ Duke, Facundo, and Zack Ryder. It’s going to be quite the log jam. But, Cael always gets it to work out. Asher Cunningham and the older Gibson are good wrestlers that may never start.

Edit- somehow forgot Will Henkel, who is damn good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

I have no idea how they’re going to get full four years out of Haines, Mesenbrink, Sealey, PJ Duke, Facundo, and Zack Ryder. It’s going to be quite the log jam. But, Cael always gets it to work out. Asher Cunningham and the older Gibson are good wrestlers that may never start.

Edit- somehow forgot Will Henkel, who is damn good as well.

I think Cunningham will end up at 184 by the time he’s in college and done growing, FWIW. Just a HS junior, wrestling 160 this year.

That kid is going to break people in half.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It has happened already. Most notably in this tournament are Michael Beard, Brody Teske, and Seth Nevills. Before that Jarod Verkleeren transferred to Virginia for two years after four at PSU. There are probably others I am forgetting, and there will certainly be more.

Don’t forget about Tony Negron almost knocked off salazar round 1 

3 hours ago, flyingcement said:

To be honest, I don’t see a ton of upside on this roster.  Feldman has some.  125 has some I suppose.  But I think Welsh overachieved in a very weak weight class.  And by no means will Birden ever see 149 again.  He is like 6 ft tall and I think went 165 this season.  I suppose he is an upgrade over Hepner.  PSU will kill them in the Tournament.

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

RBY qualfied for five NCAAs.  Hd couldn't come back.

Screenshot_20240324_135650_Chrome.jpg

Just as an aside why the hell are the end of season results almost the same color as the white background? Hope an admin sees this and realizes that its not the most intelligent color scheme 

14 hours ago, Paul158 said:

You seem a little overconfident. Don't count your chickens before your eggs hatch. 2026 in Cleveland ,would you like to make a small wager.

I would. PSU is just getting better and better. PSU has guys like Sealy, Barr, Duke, Facundo, Henkel...all of whom will have to battle just to crack the lineup by then. Add Davis, Lillendahl, Kasak, Bartlett(won't be '26 though), Haines, Messenbrink, the Ryder, Mirasola's, Cunningham, Gibson...I'm missing so many other guys it's ridiculous.

I'd also expect Davis, Nagao to get better. Haines may take a RS. I'm guessing Bartlett ends up there given the cousin is there and he seems to be around the program, but IDK, not like the future hinges on any one guy, they're going to be insanely deep. 

And how many guys don't have at least one year remaining? Brooks and Truax? I've always thought Starocci would come back, take basket weaving and get another year in to get 5 while he trains for Freestyle anyway...and in so doing, grab that NIL money(and it's off-cycle, he could even go 184 to allow for Facundo to get back into the lineup.

I don't know what they'll do, but they've still got an embarrassment of riches.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1