Did Mesenbrink really not know he was losing in the finals?

12 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Has there been any interviews with him or the coaches? It looked like he was unaware that Carr had RT on him late in the 3rd period. Tragic freshman mistake if so.

Did he have any coaches in the corner?

Edited by ionel
  • Brain 2

37 minutes ago, headshuck said:

The missed opportunity was Carr not wagging a 1 pt finger in Messenbrinks face at the end.

That's a great point lmao. 

But he had to have thought he was going to OT. Why else would he not try to end the period?

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Has there been any interviews with him or the coaches? It looked like he was unaware that Carr had RT on him late in the 3rd period. Tragic freshman mistake if so.

Carl indicated in the post-meet interview that MM was looking to OT - evidently didn't know about the RT point.  Carl also said the coaches should have done a better job of making sure MM knew the situation.  Time stamp 6:48.

Edited by lu_alum
  • Bob 4

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Carl indicated in the post-meet interview that MM was looking to OT - evidently didn't know about the RT point.  Carl also said the coaches should have done a better job of making sure MM knew the situation.

I'm glad someone took responsibility because it wasn't about to be MissinBricks

i am an idiot on the internet

It was immediately clear, both from the way he approached the end of the match and his interactions with his coaches in the aftermath, that he didn’t know. I mean, if he did know, his approach to the final 30 seconds would’ve been even more puzzling.  

I suspect what happened is that he glanced at the clock after letting Carr up and saw himself leading 8-7.  The scoreboard operator was a little slow and there was a few seconds delay before 8-8 was there.  Obviously he should have known the score regardless, but that’s my theory anyway.  No way he’s hearing his coaches at that point in the match, the place was loud as hell, and they were wrestling on the far side away from his corner. 

Perhaps they could’ve thrown a phony brick as a time out but his corner didn’t realize he was settling for what he thought was OT until it was too late. 

• Bob 1
  • Brain 4

There’s no way possible the greatest coaching staff ever assembled could have failed one of there brilliant wrestlers, I’m not buying it!! GBTG! 

Carl admitted as such during the post-tourney presser. Look at the video link I posted earlier in the thread. The question is asked & answered 6:48 into the video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's def autistic. So, def not. That weird signal he made when he got an escape at the end of 2nd period.... Sorry I don't agree with stall calls that will put a lesser wrestler in the match. 

What does autism have to do with it?

• Bob 2

19 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Carl admitted as such during the post-tourney presser. Look at the video link I posted earlier in the thread. The question is asked & answered 6:48 into the video.

All i am saying is the greatest coaching staff ever assembled, could not make such a rookie mistake in a national finals match, I see Bono or others doing that but not the PSU coaching staff, and if this is the case does it hurt recruiting? do you send your kid there when the coaching staff doesn't even know the score??

Edited by Ivan Stankowski

4 minutes ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

All i am saying is the greatest coaching staff ever assembled, could not make such a rookie mistake, I see Bono or others doing that but not the PSU coaching staff, and if this is the case does it hurt recruiting? do you send your kid there when the coaching staff doesn't even know the score??

Yes. 

I think we saw the memes play out in real life.

It was actually kind of weird to see. Professor Carl is unemotional and uncommunicative, and, on the other hand, Tom Brands is too emotional/communicative. Carl doesn't communicate the situation to his wrestler. 

Now, in his defense, I thought it was going to overtime as well, but in my defense, I was also watching an Austin Powers video on YouTube, the one where Dr. Evil and Mini-Me are in prison and planning to break out. 

So, in my defense, my attention was divided between wrestling and one of the funniest scenes in cinematic history. Did Professor Carl blow Messenbrink's chance to be a four-timer? I don't know. Carr was tired, but he's such a vet, you have to think he can fight off an attack for :20. 

On the other hand, Tom Brands chose to communicate his emotions with an ill-timed brick. That was a tactical error for the ages. Drake Ayala has a great gas tank, Figs is getting tired and like a grouchy two-year old needs a nap, Brands throws a brick after one of the most obvious takedowns in NCAA Finals history. 

There are about 20 wrestlers in the NCAA for whom I would almost never throw a brick. That's because Lactic Acid is your friend. Exhaustion is your ally. Ayala is one of them. I thought the brick was Brands' way to throw a tantrum. Maybe he needed a nap as well? 

All i am saying is the greatest coaching staff ever assembled, could not make such a rookie mistake in a national finals match, I see Bono or others doing that but not the PSU coaching staff, and if this is the case does it hurt recruiting? do you send your kid there when the coaching staff doesn't even know the score??

This might help… Question posed by Eric Knopsnyder (PA Power Wrestling)

Q: “With Mitchell… Was there some confusion there at the end? Did he know that the riding time point was secured?

Carl: “Um, I think, ah, he thought he was going into overtime., so he just kind of shut it down a little bit. Um.., but, ah… you know, that obviously falls on our coaching… uh, me, as a coach, not communicating that to him… but, you know, great opponent… he wrestled an awesome match and he’s got a really bright future… so we’re excited… for him.

6 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

This might help… Question posed by Eric Knopsnyder (PA Power Wrestling)

Q: “With Mitchell… Was there some confusion there at the end? Did he know that the riding time point was secured?

Carl: “Um, I think, ah, he thought he was going into overtime., so he just kind of shut it down a little bit. Um.., but, ah… you know, that obviously falls on our coaching… uh, me, as a coach, not communicating that to him… but, you know, great opponent… he wrestled an awesome match and he’s got a really bright future… so we’re excited… for him.

Translation = Yea we kind of FED the kid over but it’s all good GBTG, he’s got a bright future but he won’t be an undefeated 4X national champion like my brother was!!!! 

6 hours ago, steamboat_charlie said:

It was immediately clear, both from the way he approached the end of the match and his interactions with his coaches in the aftermath, that he didn’t know. I mean, if he did know, his approach to the final 30 seconds would’ve been even more puzzling.  

I suspect what happened is that he glanced at the clock after letting Carr up and saw himself leading 8-7.  The scoreboard operator was a little slow and there was a few seconds delay before 8-8 was there.  Obviously he should have known the score regardless, but that’s my theory anyway.  No way he’s hearing his coaches at that point in the match, the place was loud as hell, and they were wrestling on the far side away from his corner. 

Perhaps they could’ve thrown a phony brick as a time out but his corner didn’t realize he was settling for what he thought was OT until it was too late. 

I had a little different theory.  I instead of a late score update causing Mesenbrink thought it was tied taking into account riding time, I thought Messenbrink saw a tied score and forgot the riding time point. Mesenbrink has not had a close match all year and has not had a riding time point scored on him in college. He's never been in a match when riding time mattered.  He saw the score was tied and simply forgot that the point was pending.  That's my theory.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

57 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I had a little different theory.  I instead of a late score update causing Mesenbrink thought it was tied taking into account riding time, I thought Messenbrink saw a tied score and forgot the riding time point. Mesenbrink has not had a close match all year and has not had a riding time point scored on him in college. He's never been in a match when riding time mattered.  He saw the score was tied and simply forgot that the point was pending.  That's my theory.

But again ... had his coaches left the stadium?  🤔

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Does MM have a redshirt?  I think he actually could use one to work on defense.  His offense is elite but he can improve on defense and bottom.

Redshirted last season at Cal-Baptist.