Transfer Portal

41 minutes ago, BloodRound said:

We'll see.  His track record suggests otherwise, but Rider does seem to be a great place for Jersey guys who need a 2nd (or 4th, in his case) chance.

It’s not that he “needs a 2nd or 4th chance” is it?  He just got beat out for the starting spot.  

4 hours ago, BloodRound said:

Aaaaaaand called it.

Lol I immediately thought of your post when I saw the news earlier , must mean Bell is going back to 141 , hopefully Alvarez has his head together because he’s incredibly talented but a total nut job 

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

People are just pissy that the portal paid off for Michigan.  Penn State doesn't get as much flack either, but they do get flack because it's easier to hate them for winning everything.

It didn't pay off for OSU or Iowa.  If it had, they would be the punch line.

One could argue Iowa wouldn’t have won a team title in 2021 without the portal, How many points did 3rd place Desanto and 2nd place Eierman score for them ? They only won by 15 points 

5 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

One could argue Iowa wouldn’t have won a team title in 2021 without the portal, How many points did 3rd place Desanto and 2nd place Eierman score for them ? They only won by 15 points 

Hrmmm... 41 points.  That would have entrenched them to 3rd place, with 88 points.

Edit: To add to this, their 133/141 dept at that point was complete trash... they weren't making that up.

image.thumb.png.1c4ed825eb841f56e13c3287c6dd3726.png

Edited by nhs67

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

17 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

He did coach at Brown, but he's been back in Champaign, ILLINOIS for months. Brian Swaw and I interviewed him for The Threeeee Is the New Twooooo Podcast a couple weeks ago. He's the head coach at Relentless Training Center South. If you live in the greater Champaign area and want your kid to be an NCAA Champion....

What a great pleasure it was to talk to him!

On another note, I'm now completely persuaded that the Ramazan Attasuaov transfer is real and not an April Fool's prank. Coach Poeta posted it on social media.  

My questions for Cyclone fans and anybody else familiar with him: Was he wrestling up a weight at 133 for ISU? Was that the weight he wrestled because it made for the strongest possible lineup? Did he look like he could drop 8 pounds? What was your opinion of him as a wrestler? He was in the program for four years, but it looks like he has two years of eligibility remaining because of Covid and a redshirt. Is that true? Is he able to beat Terukina? Why do you choose to live in Iowa? He qualified for the NCAAs but got injured. What was that injury, and has he seemed to have gotten past it? 

Ramazan's beaten some quality wrestlers so far in his journey, including Tony Madrigal (x2), the #1 NAIA wrestler, NCAA qualifiers Jake Gliva, Ethan Oakley, Angelo Rini, Julian Farber, Connor Brown, Sidney Flores (x2), Derrick Cardinal, Sean Carter and Dustin Norris, as well as Cullan Schriever, Cory Land and lost by two to Vito Arujau and Austin DeSanto. Hoping for the best. 

Delgado is fighting in Sioux Falls on April 26th.  Mitch McKee is fighting in the main event.

1 hour ago, Major Kong said:

Slav ought to head to NU. Great grad programs. C'mon, be a trendsetter.

Would be cool if he did, NU has a history of some pretty darn good heavyweights...but this is the problem NU will face with Michigan in their (relative) backyard.

NU vs Michigan in terms of degree value...effectively equal.

Michigan as a whole athletic department seems to be bought in on investing in the transfer market, this is going to be something that propels them long term.  They have a department that gets it, their degrees carry weight, but they also seem to have a faculty that is actually supportive of the impact and importance of athletics on campus.  Nothing is more valuable than faculty and academic departments that are flexible with class structure and supportive of making academics fit into a lifestyle that propels athlete success.

• Bob 1

7 hours ago, BloodRound said:

Tony Caravella was an AA for Bloomsburg from wayyyy back in the day. 

He wrestled for Brick High school, he was the first head coach ever of Brick Memorial hs…From what I can find BM has had a lot of Juco and D3 AAs but only 2  D1 AAs Scott Kirsch for George Mason in 1989 and Steve Santos in 2013. 

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

People are just pissy that the portal paid off for Michigan.  Penn State doesn't get as much flack either, but they do get flack because it's easier to hate them for winning everything.

They are definitely on the list.... In my mind they are more of a punch line because it didn't pay off.  You know every big name free agent is going to be connected to one of 5-6 teams whether it ends up being true or not. 

Plus I'm jealous. 

Edited by Idaho
  • Potato 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 4/3/2024 at 4:33 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

Definitely would save on travel expenses , the 3 of them were all state champs all in a row back in 2021..

Szuba the top 20 heavyweight for rider and a top 10 recruit in Lundington going to ASU in 2 seasons also from the same high school , not bad for a public school 

Its official.  Tallmadge is listed as the starter for Pitt on WS

• Brain 2

13 hours ago, nhs67 said:

It paid off for OSU. They'd have finished further down the totem pole if not for Olejnik and the other transfers. It didn't pay off in spades like it did UM or PSU, granted. 

11 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Technically you could argue the Brands boys wouldn't have won a single NCAA team title if not for the transfer portal. They had the "extra class" from VT with Metcalf that enabled them to win 3 team titles, then the 2021 title. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Cowboy08 said:

I hear that Oklahoma State is going Fishing....

Hendrickson is also in play

Fish does have a redshirt to use, so that would be a good situation for him.

Edit: Or Fish at 165 and Hamiti at 174 w/ a Thompson redshirt (to grow in to 184 after Plott is gone).

Edited by nhs67

14 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Fish does have a redshirt to use, so that would be a good situation for him.

Edit: Or Fish at 165 and Hamiti at 174 w/ a Thompson redshirt (to grow in to 184 after Plott is gone).

I think a Thompson redshirt is the play.  I don't know if he will grow into 184 though--but it doesn't matter with Hamiti being a senior.  Thompson can redshirt a year and then see what weight he fits at.

52 minutes ago, Hillbilly Jim said:

I think a Thompson redshirt is the play.  I don't know if he will grow into 184 though--but it doesn't matter with Hamiti being a senior.  Thompson can redshirt a year and then see what weight he fits at.

The kid has senior level aspirations.  He needs to grow in to 184lbs.

4 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Is there much chance of Barraclough or Facundo entering the portal?

Facundo's best friend is looking to be the 184lber next season and he is looking to be the 174lber - if Starocci leaves or doesn't come back.  I don't think he leaves.

Bearclaw could be a serviceable 165lber at a MAC or EIWA or SOCON school for a season.  Hell, he is from Utah.  Perhaps Utah Valley for a season?  He does have MFS aspirations, so NLWC/Penn State is his best long-term option though.