Transfer Portal

5 minutes ago, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

Askey has committed to Minnesota Gophers.

You mean "Golden" gophers... they are not just some of the mill gopher. 

• Wrestle 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

4 hours ago, Kov88 said:

image.thumb.png.b9a656d3941c2acdadf9cff499e592e8.png

he making the switch to Rutgers?

His results the last 18months or so have really fallen off compared to the start of his high school career and he seems to have the injury bug. Absolute freak athlete and he will wrestle for Rutgers which I think is what he really needs is to wrestle matches and figure out how to open up against good guys. I don't think he can crack the PSU lineup at 125/133 when you have guys like Cael nasdeo/dalton Perry/Nate Desmond who may not be able to do so.

2 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

His results the last 18months or so have really fallen off compared to the start of his high school career and he seems to have the injury bug. Absolute freak athlete and he will wrestle for Rutgers which I think is what he really needs is to wrestle matches and figure out how to open up against good guys. I don't think he can crack the PSU lineup at 125/133 when you have guys like Cael nasdeo/dalton Perry/Nate Desmond who may not be able to do so.

Did he actually announce he’s going to Rutgers ?

Just now, Antitroll2828 said:

Did he actually announce he’s going to Rutgers ?

No I don't believe so I think it would be a really good decision for him if he wishes to start for 4 years and would be a great snag for Rutgers.

22 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

No I don't believe so I think it would be a really good decision for him if he wishes to start for 4 years and would be a great snag for Rutgers.

Well shawver and Peterson both have 2 years and no redshirts remaining , is it a definite he would start right away over either of them assuming he’s 125/133

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Well shawver and Peterson both have 2 years and no redshirts remaining , is it a definite he would start right away over either of them assuming he’s 125/133

I could see dean bumping potentially and maybe shawyver at 141 although starting as a 125 and ending up at 141 seems unlikely. Shawyver could also opt to not use his 6th year worst case mason sits for a year or tries his luck at 141? I think his path to making the lineup there is very good where as I don't know that he ever cracks the PSU lineup but if he wants to bet on himself he will obviously have the greatest opportunity to improve at PSU and I think his still has a very high ceiling.

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

I could see dean bumping potentially and maybe shawyver at 141 although starting as a 125 and ending up at 141 seems unlikely. Shawyver could also opt to not use his 6th year worst case mason sits for a year or tries his luck at 141? I think his path to making the lineup there is very good where as I don't know that he ever cracks the PSU lineup but if he wants to bet on himself he will obviously have the greatest opportunity to improve at PSU and I think his still has a very high ceiling.

Shawver looked like a smaller 133 last year to me. 

• Bob 3

8 hours ago, Gus said:

Shawver looked like a smaller 133 last year to me. 

yeah Its probably unlikely he ends up at 141 I think he originally moved up to 133 just because he was not beating Peterson.

11 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

yeah Its probably unlikely he ends up at 141 I think he originally moved up to 133 just because he was not beating Peterson.

That + an injury early on last season.  It ultimately played out in the best way for him though.

18 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You're giving Askey the benefit of the doubt from one tournament that he wrestled out of his mind at.

He was also Techfellered twice by Shapiro, lost to Ed Scott twice comfortably, and he also lost to Will Lewan in regulation (W?T?F?!).

I don't see Askey beating Mauller.  I don't see him beating Brady, either.

wrestled out of his mind? Askey has been solid for the last 2 years. Like I said, lets see what he can do in a room full of hammers that push him every day. When Ian Miller left, he didn't have anyone to push him in that room at APP ST. Oakley, had a hammer that absolutely made him better. W/O Jared Patterson, you never hear the name Oakley, IMO. 

• Brain 1

12 hours ago, NM1965 said:

Wow, Jared Hill has some balls posting something like that. He should've slunk away after how poorly he wrestled this year. 

what part of this is balls? Going into the transfer portal? Hill walked on at OU and beat out a highly recruited Wiley. So tell me what your expectations are for a walk on that took the starting position at OU? What if he earned a little bit of money and Kish took it away, what would you do?

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

32 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

wrestled out of his mind? Askey has been solid for the last 2 years. Like I said, lets see what he can do in a room full of hammers that push him every day. When Ian Miller left, he didn't have anyone to push him in that room at APP ST. Oakley, had a hammer that absolutely made him better. W/O Jared Patterson, you never hear the name Oakley, IMO. 

He lost to Will Lewan in regulation this year - who failed to place.  Lost to Ed Scott by nearly a Major (2x) - who failed to place.  That is just this year.  Last year he had in the teens for losses, including losses to the notorious Caleb Dowling, the mean-mugged Alex Hornfleck, the lead chipmunk Cesar Alvan, amongst many more.

He wrestled out of his mind at NCAAs after going BBQ last year.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

12 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

I doubt the current best wrestler out of the three, in Shawver, is going to be the one riding pine for a year in that scenario.

37 minutes ago, H82Lose said:

what part of this is balls? Going into the transfer portal? Hill walked on at OU and beat out a highly recruited Wiley. So tell me what your expectations are for a walk on that took the starting position at OU? What if he earned a little bit of money and Kish took it away, what would you do?

Not too mention he beat out a top 10 recruit (Herrera-Rendon) and actually made him transfer out. 

5 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

Not too mention he beat out a top 10 recruit (Herrera-Rendon) and actually made him transfer out. 

Jacob Butler would also like a word.

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Jacob Butler would also like a word.

Butler was down at 141 in 2022, then was the backup to Hill at 157 in 2023. AHR transferred out following the 2023 season. Not sure how much Butler would have played into that. 

Edited by Winners Circle

He lost to Will Lewan in regulation this year - who failed to place.  Lost to Ed Scott by nearly a Major (2x) - who failed to place.  That is just this year.  Last year he had in the teens for losses, including losses to the notorious Caleb Dowling, the mean-mugged Alex Hornfleck, the lead chipmunk Cesar Alvan, amongst many more.
He wrestled out of his mind at NCAAs after going BBQ last year.

Admittedly, I didn’t know a thing about Askey prior to him entering the portal and when I did a little more digging my impression aligned with yours. He didn’t have any great wins prior to NCAA’s last year and some rougher losses. He will certainly have a tougher schedule with Minnesota.

He is coming in to a potentially favorable position at least in the big ten with guys like Lewan, Robb, Franek, Brayton graduating. 157 is projecting to be a comparatively weak weight in the conference next year. Wrestlestat currently has Askey rated 11th overall and 3rd in the big ten, behind Antrell Taylor and ahead of Saldate.

I could see him exceeding expectations at Minnesota for his last year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he flopped either. I’m happy to have him regardless, because we had a massive hole there for one year while a recruit redshirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk