Transfer Portal

16 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Everything that's been projected for '24-25  to this point is Mesenbrink to 157 and Haines to 165.  Star to 184 or 197.  @Husker_Du might have some insider info but this scenario has been the most consistent 

i'm in the camp of 'i'll believe it when i see it' when it comes to Mesenbrink at 157.

it makes a lot of sense line up wise, though.

i hope it happens, largely bc it does wonders for maximizing the other kids' opportunities on the roster. 

• Brain 2

TBD

14 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I had heard that this was a possibility. Looks like a grad student or Senior, one-year deal to fill 157 for the former Cyclone. Danny Nini can be built up in the meantime. Starter for Campbell (20-10) and then for Iowa State (22-15) with a Round of 16. I expect that this will be the middle and upper-weights for the ILLINI:

149 Kannon Webster

157 Jason Kraisser

165 Braeden Scoles

174 Danny Brawlnagel

184 Edmond Ruth

197 Zac Brawlnagel

HWT Luuuke Luffman

ILLINI223.jpg

I thought you said Nini was going to fill the hole at 157? Stance on that changed pretty quickly. 🤔

5 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

I thought you said Nini was going to fill the hole at 157? Stance on that changed pretty quickly. 🤔

Because another guy entered the fold that wasn't apparent before.  He is allowed to be excited for Nini then also be excited if a guy who is projected to 'be better' enters the fold.  He can be excited for either or both.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

15 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Because another guy entered the fold that wasn't apparent before.  He is allowed to be excited for Nini then also be excited if a guy who is projected to 'be better' enters the fold.  He can be excited for either or both.

Where did I say anything about 'being excited'? He said Nini 'shored up the final hole in the Illini lineup at 157'. I made the case that getting a guy that had a losing record last year didn't exactly shore up a hole. Being excited about getting a guy who can sit and develop for the future is far different than 'shoring a hole in the lineup.' 

Just now, Winners Circle said:

Where did I say anything about 'being excited'? He said Nini 'shored up the final hole in the Illini lineup at 157'. I made the case that getting a guy that had a losing record last year didn't exactly shore up a hole. Being excited about getting a guy who can sit and develop for the future is far different than 'shoring a hole in the lineup.' 

Nini did shore it up, for those who anticipate greatness out of him (keep in mind who you're questioning there... the BIGGEST Illini fan on these boards in @ILLINIWrestlingBlog).  Kraisser shores it up a little better and allows further development to take place without the pressure of performance.

Win - Win, really

• Bob 3

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Nini did shore it up, for those who anticipate greatness out of him (keep in mind who you're questioning there... the BIGGEST Illini fan on these boards in @ILLINIWrestlingBlog).  Kraisser shores it up a little better and allows further development to take place without the pressure of performance.

Win - Win, really

So the backup shores up a hole in the lineup? First I've heard of this.

4 minutes ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

David Taylor press conference live right now

Maybe this goes into one of the 68 threads on DT rather than the portal thread. 

• Fire 1
  • Haha 3

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

7 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

So the backup shores up a hole in the lineup? First I've heard of this.

No.  His prior statement is outdated.

Why are you being obtuse?  There is no need to pick a fight.  Especially during the DT/OSU news conference, man. c'mon!

• Brain 2

1 hour ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

Taylor will high ball Alirez

I think not. I think he will realize that won't get him a team title and instead focus on longer term solutions (recruits). Everyone has a budget, even if some are larger than others. And I can see Taylor being thoughtful about being a steward of other people's (Richison's) assets.

• Brain 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think not. I think he will realize that won't get him a team title and instead focus on longer term solutions (recruits). Everyone has a budget, even if some are larger than others. And I can see Taylor being thoughtful about being a steward of other people's (Richison's) assets.

A billion dollars goes a long way.  All he needs is Alirez, Mesenbrick, Haines and Steveson.  🤠

2 hours ago, Bardamu911 said:

this is about transferring FROM Cornell to another school 

You sure about that? This kinda sounds like it's talking about their own athletes....

"Upon submission of the Notification of Transfer Form (or email to the compliance staff for non-student-athletes), the compliance office at Cornell is required to submit the student-athlete’s information into the NCAA Transfer Portal or send out permission to contact within two business days."

3 minutes ago, Idaho said:

You sure about that? This kinda sounds like it's talking about their own athletes....

"Upon submission of the Notification of Transfer Form (or email to the compliance staff for non-student-athletes), the compliance office at Cornell is required to submit the student-athlete’s information into the NCAA Transfer Portal or send out permission to contact within two business days."

You are saying the same thing. Only their own athletes can transfer from Cornell.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

11 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You are saying the same thing. Only their own athletes can transfer from Cornell.

Now you are saying the same thing.....

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 3:44 PM, CowboyYe2024 said:

Taylor will high ball Alirez

whatever you do, do not plug that into a browser search

Shocked It Crowd GIF

Edited by gromit
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2024 at 11:12 AM, Husker_Du said:

i'm in the camp of 'i'll believe it when i see it' when it comes to Mesenbrink at 157.

it makes a lot of sense line up wise, though.

i hope it happens, largely bc it does wonders for maximizing the other kids' opportunities on the roster. 

Mesenbrink didn't exactly look like a fatty out there at 165! I can't see a guy pulling weight when he finished 2nd at NCAAs last year. Maybe Haines will move up to 165 and beat him in a ranking match and then he'd pull down.