Transfer Portal

4 minutes ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

OSU has a blood round guy to train with

Michigan has Mason Paris at the RTC

OSU is closer to home

Michigan has Lucas Davison

Michigan also has Olympian Adam Coon in-house as well.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I fail to see any reasoning as to why Gable would go back to Minnesota.

Did he qualify for an Olympic redshirt this last year?  If he goes back he surely has to wrestle, right?

Unless folks think he will be purely focused on MFS going forward and will go to Minnesota for that (a logical choice, mind you).

Not to mention, he would have to have some commitment that Gable will stay in Minnesota and train with him the entire year.   Gable has been known to go back and forth, I wouldn't commit to Minnesota just because Gable said he was planning to return. 

• Bob 1

13 minutes ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

OSU has a blood round guy to train with

Michigan has Mason Paris at the RTC

OSU is closer to home

Michigan has Lucas Davison

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Michigan also has Olympian Adam Coon in-house as well.

OSU:  Vance AFB is only ~50nm from Stillwater and the T-6s at Vance often fly over to do touch & goes at SWO.

QKGRXIJRINDC3AFW6IGF5QZO4Y.jpg

17 minutes ago, ionel said:

OSU:  Vance AFB is only ~50nm from Stillwater and the T-6s at Vance often fly over to do touch & goes at SWO.

QKGRXIJRINDC3AFW6IGF5QZO4Y.jpg

Selfridge Air National Guard Base is basically the same distance from Ann Arbor as Vance is from Stillwater.

Not to mention, he would have to have some commitment that Gable will stay in Minnesota and train with him the entire year.   Gable has been known to go back and forth, I wouldn't commit to Minnesota just because Gable said he was planning to return. 

Gable never entirely stopped training at Minnesota. He did it less frequently the last year or so, but he has always been coming back. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see him back training for more freestyle medals very soon. He is out of NCAA eligibility.

Also, Hayden Zillmer and Trent Hillger are no slouches. Zillmer is a world teamer in his own right and a great practice partner. The group doesn’t compare to michigans without Gable, but better than the practice partners Okie State and Mizzou would have to offer imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Gable never entirely stopped training at Minnesota. He did it less frequently the last year or so, but he has always been coming back. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest to see him back training for more freestyle medals very soon. He is out of NCAA eligibility.

Also, Hayden Zillmer and Trent Hillger are no slouches. Zillmer is a world teamer in his own right and a great practice partner. The group doesn’t compare to michigans without Gable, but better than the practice partners Okie State and Mizzou would have to offer imo.

OSU and Mizzou have a slew of age level world medalists for him to train with.

Not advocating for either of them, just saying that the stable there is also quite full.

Edited by nhs67

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Selfridge Air National Guard Base is basically the same distance from Ann Arbor as Vance is from Stillwater.

Thats National Guard not Airforce and do they fly over to ARB for training?  Not sure Wyatt wants to fly A-10s but he could prob fit in the KC-135 Stratotanker.  😉

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

OSU and Mizzou have a slew of age level world medalists for him to train with.

Not advocating for either of them, just saying that the stable there is also quite full.

It would be absolutely invaluable for Merill to get to role with Wyatt for a year rather than just doucet and a beefed up chris perry and slimmed down christian carroll.

• Fire 1

It would be absolutely invaluable for Merill to get to role with Wyatt for a year rather than just doucet and a beefed up chris perry and slimmed down christian carroll.

I feel the same about Hopke. Would be another added benefit for sure.

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Tommy Maddox has transferred from Buffalo to West Virginia where he is expected to start at 133

Strickenberger might be moving up to 133 he’s pretty tall and that cut was really difficult towards the end of the season and maddox has had a losing record all 5 years he’s been in school and has no notable wins and not really any good loses either so no guarantee he sees the line up either way 

7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I fail to see any reasoning as to why Gable would go back to Minnesota.

Did he qualify for an Olympic redshirt this last year?  If he goes back he surely has to wrestle, right?

Unless folks think he will be purely focused on MFS going forward and will go to Minnesota for that (a logical choice, mind you).

I only said if Gable is back in the room... I don't think he has another year, but I can see him training for MFS there, which means he will be around to train with. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

8 hours ago, Idaho said:

Imagine if David Taylor had taken the Ok State job a month ago... the portal would be interesting. 

Especially with the new Grad transfer rules that just went in to effect this last month.

There is still another portal possibility in the fall.  Keep watch for gents who decide to defer first semester enrollment?

Also, my list for Pindrickson just went from Mizzou - UofM - OSU - Minny to OSU - UofM - Mizzou - Minny.

I would think that Alirez to OSU is also a higher possibility than it was last week as well.

How does this look at Beaver Stadium?

125 - Spratley VS Lilledahl (Davis)
133 - Cannon (Hughes) VS Nagao (Davis)
141 - Jamison VS Bartlett (Evans)
149 - Alirez VS SVN (Kasak/Evans)
157 - Parco VS Sealey (SVN)
165 - Fish VS Mesenbrink
174 - Hamiti VS Facundo
184 - Plott VS Barr
197 - Carroll VS Starocci
285 - Pindrickson VS Kerkvliet
*BOLD INDICATES TRANSFER

Is it wild or recency bias that makes me believe that is an actual dual?  Does this make Coach Caelingharner keep Haines down at 157 and Starocci at 174 as a precautionary?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I would think that Alirez to OSU is also a higher possibility than it was last week as well.

Good point... Taylor, Smith and whoever comes in would be much more enticing than Iowa. If they brought Taylor in for big bucks, I imagine they are ready to spend on the portal as well. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 5/1/2024 at 3:58 PM, VakAttack said:

I've said this before, but just as an FYI, I've never set foot in the state of Iowa.  Not a single toe.  I was born in Brooklyn, NY, and lived there for awhile, but have spent most of my life in Florida.  I think I just assumed Colorado was mountainous everywhere, but that trip to Greeley....

Just catching up on this thread. I know you have said several times that you have never been to Iowa, but you have also posted pics of yourself at other sporting events outside of your home state. So my question is, as a diehard Iowa fan who travels to sporting events, how in the hell have you never been to a meet at Carver Hawkeye? 

Having been there twice for Iowa/PSU, I cannot recommend this enough. The atmosphere is electric. I would recommend any fan of wrestling, not just Iowa wrestling, get ye to CHA.

• Wrestle 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

21 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Just catching up on this thread. I know you have said several times that you have never been to Iowa, but you have also posted pics of yourself at other sporting events outside of your home state. So my question is, as a diehard Iowa fan who travels to sporting events, how in the hell have you never been to a meet at Carver Hawkeye? 

Having been there twice for Iowa/PSU, I cannot recommend this enough. The atmosphere is electric. I would recommend any fan of wrestling, not just Iowa wrestling, get ye to CHA.

I also think you have some 'splaining to do, @VakAttack...

• Wrestle 1

38 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It's on the list, I promise, but the sports traveling is a more recent phenomenon for me, and this would likely be a solo trip for a 2 hour event, and Iowa hasn't had a real shot at being competitive since I started the sports trips.

18 hours ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

Does Davison have any more years?

Michigan should go for Schultz

Except it doesn't appear Schultz is in the portal.

Can't guys still enter the Portal? Now that the deadline has passed, they just need a waiver from their prior University to make them eligible next year or did that change?

58 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Lucas is done.

He still trains there, though, and is going through the Judo Olympic Qualifying process currently.

• Bob 1