Bedlam

Scouts Honor

Couple of notes from this dual

Gfeller's roll through leg grab is deadly. Not sure how he gets it work but has a high conversion rate for him.

Joey Prata is sticky from the top position. 

Plott broke Roberts and looked very good.

Moore pulls of the win over Voinovich in a match where he did absolutely nothing offensively.

165 does not look to be the right weight class for Sheets but 157 does appear to be the right weight class for Gfeller. Smith has made comment that they will both be moving down to 157 and 149 respectively. 

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

can't believe there isn't a thread on this

irrelevance i guess

it was a great dual

OSU comes up with a pin to win at 197 in the last match

I avoided checking the score all day yesterday and watched it by myself with a cold one after the family went to bed.  I was more than pleasantly surprised.  Very exciting match.  Good amount of banter between teams without going over the top.  Amazing ending as well.

• Fire 1

Mitch Shelton Pins Dr. Death Steve Williams

Even dubbed by an OU fan in this story from The Daily Oklahoman in 1982 as “The greatest sporting event I’ve ever been to”. This moment is revered by many OSU fans as one of the greatest moments in Gallagher-Iba history. I wasn’t around back then, so I’ll let The Oklahoman describe it for you.

This was the scene: Heading into the heavyweight finale, favored OU led OSU 17-14. And next up was the Sooners’ unbeaten (9-0-1), third-ranked Steve “Dr. Death” Williams, a three-time all-America, against Mitch Shelton, a baby-faced, 420-pound junior college transfer with a baby-faced 9-5 record.

For once, OU and OSU partisans agreed: It was over. “Dr. Death” never lost to what he called, among other things, “those Aggies.”

Mitch Shelton, unknown OSU heavyweight, responded to those stomps and chants by pinning “Dr. Death” in 3 minutes, 41 seconds. Six points for OSU the original Stillwater Six. And OSU 20, OU 17. [The Daily Oklahoman]

image.png.750afb6f230cc5b58baaa4987f225f33.png

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 3

Can someone help me with the team score prior to fall at HWT for the 1982 dual?  Did teams get 2 points each for a tie?  How many points did a team earn for a superior decision?  After 167, I have the dual score as 12-10 for OSU.  I am assuming 5 team points for a superior decision and 2 points each for a tie.  

1 hour ago, Preceptor said:

Can someone help me with the team score prior to fall at HWT for the 1982 dual?  Did teams get 2 points each for a tie?  How many points did a team earn for a superior decision?  After 167, I have the dual score as 12-10 for OSU.  I am assuming 5 team points for a superior decision and 2 points each for a tie.  

Yes that’s my recall. 12+ point victory = 5 team points, 2 team points each way for a tie in an individual match. 

And man, some heavy hitters in that dual on both sides. 

Edited by 11986
More
  • Fire 2

4 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I avoided checking the score all day yesterday and watched it by myself

Same here. Thankfully we had the WC to keep us busy.

6 hours ago, Gus said:

Moore pulls of the win over Voinovich in a match where he did absolutely nothing offensively.

Masterclass in nothingness.

6 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

65 nijenhuis looked really good

It's the hair. 

It was a fun dual. I enjoyed it.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Gus said:

I am not sure why this does not bode well for the future? They also landed another stud transfer in Buchannan. 

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

It means a lot of solid guys believe in the coaching staff and what they are building and want to transfer to OU ..seems like a positive 

Antitroll makes a solid point.  OTH, Roselli has been there six years. 

Buchanan is a good example of why it is tough to build lasting success with transfers.  He has only one year of eligibility.  Also,  don't think clearing the pine from other teams is a path to greatness - the transfers on the list are solid, but long shot to AA.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Antitroll makes a solid point.  OTH, Roselli has been there six years. 

Buchanan is a good example of why it is tough to build lasting success with transfers.  He has only one year of eligibility.  Also,  don't think clearing the pine from other teams is a path to greatness - the transfers on the list are solid, but long shot to AA.

Prata made the blood round last year , Moore made the R12 2 seasons ago , Henson is just a freshman with a lot of AA potential 

• Fire 2