JB and DC to commentate NCAA's for ESPN

Thank goodness.  It seems astonishingly difficult to get good play-by-play guys for wrestling...even though knowledge levels of your average fan are very high.  

This really made my day.  Finally getting some dudes who know how to talk and narrate a match as its happening.  

• Bob 1

Just now, Lunaticfringe said:

DC is the best, Burroughs is solid but not as entertaining. DC is easily excitable just like Shane Sparks and Rock Harrison.

Yeah, hopefully DC can get Burroughs to let his guard down a bit and relax.  

A DT DC combo would be my personal dream team.

1 hour ago, BaldAt23 said:

I love Rock Harrison and Shane Sparks. They are both awesome in my opinions. 

DC is great though. Really good addition 

I can always do without Shanes SPARKSS!  but have really wanted Rock Harrison to team up with Hardell Moore for a big one.  That said, Burroughs and Cormier should be great.  

6 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Thank goodness.  It seems astonishingly difficult to get good play-by-play guys for wrestling...even though knowledge levels of your average fan are very high.  

This really made my day.  Finally getting some dudes who know how to talk and narrate a match as its happening.  

Burroughs and Cormier are not doing play-by-play.  The are analysts (color commentary).

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2024/03/ncaa-div-i-wrestling-championships-return-to-espn-march-21-23-live-from-kansas-city/#:~:text=Both Cormier (Thursday-Saturday),and Championship coverage on ESPN.

ESPN (Primetime and Championship Round):

• Mike Couzens (play-by-play) – A versatile ESPN play-by-play voice calling the Championships for the seventh year.
  • Jordan Burroughs (analyst) – A two-time NCAA champion at Nebraska and Dan Hodge Trophy winner. Also a six-time world champion and 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist at the London Games, Burroughs won his most recent world title in 2022 and set the American record with seven gold medals at the Olympic and World Championship level.
  • Daniel Cormier (analyst) – Current UFC lead analyst is a former NCAA All-American (Oklahoma State) and former UFC Heavyweight Champion.
  • Rock Harrison (rules analyst) – ACC Network’s lead analyst, former Virginia wrestler and a 10-year referee.
  • Quint Kessenich (reporter) – The multi-sport reporter and analyst will cover all daytime and primetime sessions in his 19th year.

ESPNU (Daytime):

• Shawn Kenney (play-by-play) – ACC Network’s lead wrestling play-by-play voice.
  • Tim Johnson (analyst) – “The voice” of college wrestling for more than three decades. Johnson has evaluated college wrestling for more than 35 years and has called hundreds of collegiate wrestling meets, including the last 19 NCAA Championships. A member of both the Iowa and National Wrestling Halls of Fame.
  • Plus, Harrison (analyst) and Kessenich (reporter)

ESPN+ MatCast:

• Shane Sparks (play-by-play) – Big Ten Network’s lead wrestling play-by-play voice.
  • Anthony Robles (analyst) – The NCAA Champion from Arizona State returns to ESPN’s NCAA Wrestling coverage.
Edited by lu_alum
  • Bob 3

35 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Burroughs and Cormier are not doing play-by-play.  The are analysts (color commentary).

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2024/03/ncaa-div-i-wrestling-championships-return-to-espn-march-21-23-live-from-kansas-city/#:~:text=Both Cormier (Thursday-Saturday),and Championship coverage on ESPN.

• Mike Couzens (play-by-play) – A versatile ESPN play-by-play voice calling the Championships for the seventh year.
  • Jordan Burroughs (analyst) – A two-time NCAA champion at Nebraska and Dan Hodge Trophy winner. Also a six-time world champion and 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist at the London Games, Burroughs won his most recent world title in 2022 and set the American record with seven gold medals at the Olympic and World Championship level.
  • Daniel Cormier (analyst) – Current UFC lead analyst is a former NCAA All-American (Oklahoma State) and former UFC Heavyweight Champion.
  • Rock Harrison (rules analyst) – ACC Network’s lead analyst, former Virginia wrestler and a 10-year referee.
  • Quint Kessenich (reporter) – The multi-sport reporter and analyst will cover all daytime and primetime sessions in his 19th year.

ESPNU (Daytime):

• Shawn Kenney (play-by-play) – ACC Network’s lead wrestling play-by-play voice.
  • Tim Johnson (analyst) – “The voice” of college wrestling for more than three decades. Johnson has evaluated college wrestling for more than 35 years and has called hundreds of collegiate wrestling meets, including the last 19 NCAA Championships. A member of both the Iowa and National Wrestling Halls of Fame.

ESPN+ MatCast:

• Shane Sparks (play-by-play) – Big Ten Network’s lead wrestling play-by-play voice.
  • Anthony Robles (analyst) – The NCAA Champion from Arizona State returns to ESPN’s NCAA Wrestling coverage.

It would be great if some of the key issues / concerns for the sport are addressed by some of these guys over the next 3 days, especially with a national audience. 

19 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Harrison is great.  I don't think anyone is better.  DC is good at everything except avoiding cheeseburgers.

DC is a success story through and through. Wrestling, MMA, announcer, interviewer, promoter plus he has one helluva smile and a contagious personality. Any sport would be fortunate to have him in their corner. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

ESPNU (Daytime):

ESPN+ MatCast:

Why no Jim Gibbons? He's one of the best.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Rassling said:

It would be great if some of the key issues / concerns for the sport are addressed by some of these guys over the next 3 days, especially with a national audience. 

No one wants to listen to Burroughs push for the pushout and talk about how great freestyle is at folkstyle nationals. Stick to the matches I don't want their opinions on the rules.

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Glad to know I have at least one thing in common with Cormier.

I almost wrote something like that initially.  I'd love to eat with DC.  I really only trust fat guys about food.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rassling said:

I'm sure Quint will bring all of the hard hitting questions...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, forkemaz said:

No one wants to listen to Burroughs push for the pushout and talk about how great freestyle is at folkstyle nationals. Stick to the matches I don't want their opinions on the rules.

That’s not what I was referring to. Today’s an exciting day so I won’t go back and refer to some of the previous threads expressing concern for the sport. Id rather focus on which toppings to adorn my homemade pizza with this afternoon. 

2 hours ago, Rassling said:

That’s not what I was referring to. Today’s an exciting day so I won’t go back and refer to some of the previous threads expressing concern for the sport. Id rather focus on which toppings to adorn my homemade pizza with this afternoon. 

I don't think they are equipped to discuss the other topics and it would he inappropriate during matches. I hope you enjoy your pizza.

9 hours ago, forkemaz said:

So true and forget it if a Nebraska guy makes the finals bc JB doesn’t know how to take those homer glasses off