FRL would be good if they talked about wrestling.

Has it been a boring season? Lots to be excited about, but are they washed over by DDM, ducks/abbreviated seasons, too much PSU dominance, too much attention on the B1G?  There's been a lot of offseason talk (the discussions that start up in the offseason bc everyone's bored) on here, too. Kinda strange.

There's no wrestling this weekend aside from pan am's and NJ states so there was not really a ton for them to talk about aside from carter hypotheticals. Generally, Tuesdays they recap the weekend and Thursdays they do picks and talk about the upcoming duals. I personally enjoy the banter although it may lose some of its luster once ben is done.

Edited by Truzzcat
  • Fire 2

It’s bc they let Ollie on the show. He single handedly causes everyone to lose focus. As soon as I see him I know it’s going to be nothing but Long Island “jokes” and Bs about his personal life.

As an Ollie hater, I must admit, the flo guys must like him with how much they feed off his distracting energy. But he make for terrible radio when he’s on bc no one can focus on the show. WRESTLING. 

• Fire 3

FRL has been trash for years.  They learned a long time ago that chasing the least common denominator is profitable somehow.  Or, that’s at least what the people beating the drums have ordained.  

There is a reason there has been an exodus of all of the true wrestling people from that ship over the years.

Flowrestling is a textbook example of not fully appreciating how good something is until it changes.  I yearn for the bader floreani front lawn wrestling matches, the fretwell roper commentated scuffle matches, and the killer bader joe flo russia coverage they used to pump out when enthusiasm for the sport was what drove the ship.  It was a beautiful thing.  Alas, the almighty dollar sign took a big fat dump on that hub of enthusiasm.

4 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

There's no wrestling this weekend aside from pan am's and NJ states so there was not really a ton for them to talk about aside from carter hypotheticals. Generally, Tuesdays they recap the weekend and Thursdays they do picks and talk about the upcoming duals. I personally enjoy the banter although it may lose some of its luster once ben is done.

Ben's leaving?  Any explanation?

As annoying as he could be, he anchored the show really well.  His thoughts on coaching were genius, and his general curiosity was infectious.

Given the above, certain aspects of his ideology were both inexplicable and maddening, but FRL may really flounder without him (and especially without Willie to play a similar role).

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

It’s bc they let Ollie on the show. He single handedly causes everyone to lose focus. As soon as I see him I know it’s going to be nothing but Long Island “jokes” and Bs about his personal life.

As an Ollie hater, I must admit, the flo guys must like him with how much they feed off his distracting energy. But he make for terrible radio when he’s on bc no one can focus on the show. WRESTLING. 

Completely agree. Today was one of the worst episodes in quite sometime. I generally don't mind the banter, but today it felt like at least 50% filler hot garbage. 

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, whaletail said:

Ben's leaving?  Any explanation?

As annoying as he could be, he anchored the show really well.  His thoughts on coaching were genius, and his general curiosity was infectious.

Given the above, certain aspects of his ideology were both inexplicable and maddening, but FRL may really flounder without him (and especially without Willie to play a similar role).

Said he is focusing on coaching.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I debated writing this because I do appreciate thie coverage that they normally provide and have elevated the sport but they need to put a disclaimer on this week's shows that no actual wrestling information is found within these episodes.

Today they made a joke about having people on the show that knew nothing about wrestling. How can you have a show about Starocci's injury and invite a guest host who didn't even realize that Starocci got injured almost 5 days ago now?

That came after Monday's episode where Christian Pyles had no idea on Monday that Starocci would have to wrestle two matches at the Big 10 Tournament to satisfy the new requirements for an at-large bid. Also, Ben Askren asked the question if Starrocci was even eligible for an at-large bid because he didn't have 15 matches? I don't know expect them to know everything but you need to have a general awareness of the rules and the sport and qualifying process. How can you be a so called expert and have no idea about this process?

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Completely agree. Today was one of the worst episodes in quite sometime. I generally don't mind the banter, but today it felt like at least 50% filler hot garbage. 

Compared to when Bader used to be more of a presence, it feels like 97% garbage. 

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

they need to bring back that Ollie cat once Ben leaves.  He's pretty funny and can keep the conversations going.

• Fire 1

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

I stopped watching them when Ben joined. Just not enough wrestling talk. Mostly inside stuff as another commenter said earlier. It used to be a good show when it was under an hour and no Ben Askren.

11 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I yearn for the bader floreani front lawn wrestling matches, the fretwell roper commentated scuffle matches, and the killer bader joe flo russia coverage they used to pump out when enthusiasm for the sport was what drove the ship.  It was a beautiful thing.  Alas, the almighty dollar sign took a big fat dump on that hub of enthusiasm.

Yeah, for some reason not a lot of Americans going to Russia over the past couple years? 🤔

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

7 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

T-Row and Funky? Didn't he discontinue that one 5 or so years ago?

They may have  I know he mentioned he was on 3 or 4 other Podcasts.  Funky and the Champ is one of the better combat sport podcasts.  

I don't mind them getting derailed or talking about non wrestling things that actually exist like bad St. Louis pizza, but I cannot deal with the cryptozoology discussion.  That is total nonsense.   I was glad when Bratke left and that crap came to an end.