Several ailing Penn State wrestlers on the mend, according to Cael Sanderson

Rassling

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Ironically, I had the same coach as not one but two guys who were popped for doping. And, they had both been on the same amateur team as me. Not at the same time but a couple years prior.

I have to ask: do you think ALL of the athletes Sam Calavita trains are doping? Helen Maroulis, for example? Or just the Penn State/NLWC athletes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I presume all high level athletes are using PEDs in some form.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Rassling said:

most points, most champs - could be many variables - either way. I say records will be broken.

I would not be surprised to see 6 champs, in fact I bet many PSU fans will predict it.  I think 7 or more would qualify as “shocking” though 

18 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I would not be surprised to see 6 champs, in fact I bet many PSU fans will predict it.  I think 7 or more would qualify as “shocking” though 

fair enough - sometimes a word is chosen based on emotion, nothing more.

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

Ironically, I had the same coach as not one but two guys who were popped for doping. And, they had both been on the same amateur team as me. Not at the same time but a couple years prior.

I have to ask: do you think ALL of the athletes Sam Calavita trains are doping? Helen Maroulis, for example? Or just the Penn State/NLWC athletes?

How about some questions?

Do you think one of his athletes, who appears to worship him, would use a substance that "Coach Cal" did not tell him to.

Do you think that with all the blood tests that they say the Treigning Lab has them perform, that an athlete would be on EPO without the great Coach Cal noticing a unexpected ridiculously high RBC or some other marker?

37 minutes ago, Rassling said:

fair enough - sometimes a word is chosen based on emotion, nothing more.

Honestly I just remembered I wrote in a different thread that I wouldn’t be shocked if they got 7.  But then I did the math and the probability based on my own personal odds was like 0.1%, so I guess that “should” be shocking.  But that was a few weeks ago and my odds for Bartlett and Haines would increase since then.

• Fire 2

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Honestly I just remembered I wrote in a different thread that I wouldn’t be shocked if they got 7.  But then I did the math and the probability based on my own personal odds was like 0.1%, so I guess that “should” be shocking.  But that was a few weeks ago and my odds for Bartlett and Haines would increase since then.

Either way seems like you’re excited about predictions and outcomes too!

21 hours ago, Rassling said:

PSU is going to stomp the rest of the field. Nobody will be surprised when it happens either.

• Fire 1

How about if they get 7+ champs?

That would be extremely impressive, but I honestly wouldn’t be shocked at 7. I do think 8 or more certainly qualify as shocking. Unless by wrestlers on the mend he means Shane Van Ness is ready to go… then they would even have a chance at all 10! (I know, not gonna happen but still crazy to think about)

37 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

That would be extremely impressive, but I honestly wouldn’t be shocked at 7. I do think 8 or more certainly qualify as shocking. Unless by wrestlers on the mend he means Shane Van Ness is ready to go… then they would even have a chance at all 10! (I know, not gonna happen but still crazy to think about)

I wonder if attaining 7 champs (even 6) would be enough for local PA media to acknowledge such an incredible achievement. Based on 24 years of residence here, probably not. 

3 hours ago, NM1965 said:

PSU is going to stomp the rest of the field. Nobody will be surprised when it happens either.

I'm surprised someone had to remind us that no one will be surprised when it happens.  😉

On 2/22/2024 at 9:48 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

“These guys are in great shape and just their core temperature is, on average, lower than the general population. A small spike in their temperature is different than somebody who’s just coming in off the street"

Is that a thing? If so, I was not aware of it.

I assume that was Cael's way of saying that a bunch of his starters have been sick with Covid

2 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I assume that was Cael's way of saying that a bunch of his starters have been sick with Covid

Which raises other questions.

• Are you allowed to wrestle with COVID these days?
  • Do they even test for that anymore?
  • If you feel crappy, do they just say "hope you feel better"?
  • Or do they do a COVID test?
  • If so, is a positive a mandatory "do not wrestle"?
  • Or is it like a cold or flu? You can wrestle if you feel well enough.
  • And speaking of a cold or flu, if you can wrestle when you feel well enough with a cold or flu, is there a protocol that takes into account the other wrestler?
  • Or is it just a gentlemen's agreement? I won't wrestle if I think I am sick so I don't get you sick.
  • Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

• And speaking of a cold or flu, if you can wrestle when you feel well enough with a cold or flu, is there a protocol that takes into account the other wrestler?
  • Or is it just a gentlemen's agreement? I won't wrestle if I think I am sick so I don't get you sick.

What is COVID? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My guess is that it's handled on an individual school or program level. I don't think NCAA and conferences don't have any rules or monitoring anymore, just "guidance" on how to handle testing, isolation, etc. 

Hard to know for sure, but it sounded a little bit like Northwestern postponed their dual with Illinois last month because the team got hit with Covid and did a five day isolation. Some others thought it might have been ringworm, also plausible.

• Fire 1

Per a guy who works at the student health center at PSU, they’ve had a massive spike in flu cases the last couple weeks. Apparently it lingers a while, too.

Might explain Nagao, Starocci, Kerk, etc missing matches.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Can't happen because Truax won't win it all.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.