If you had to predict...

57 kg - I want to say Arujau, but he seems like he is dealing with something and still needs to cut. I am going with Spencer Lee

65 kg - Keep it in the family, Nick Lee. He has Diakomihalis' and McKenna's number.

74 kg - Dake

86 kg -  Taylor

97 kg - Snyder

125 kg - Parris

I just do not see a changing of the guard yet at 74 - 125

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

57 - Spencer Lee and along the way he beats at least two of Richards (kills me), Gilman, and Vito. This is by far the most fascinating bracket with Gilman, Vito, Fix, Richards, Lee, Suriano, and possibly but very doubtful Gross (65).

65 - Yianni over Lee. But I'm leaving myself wiggle room and if he cuts down, for the first time ever I'm picking Retherford.

74 - JB takes out Dake in what is now considered a major upset

86 - Taylor breaks a sweat over Zahid/Brooks winner.

97 - Snyder over Moore

125 - Like a dog chasing a car for no good reason, Steveson just can't resist beating up his little brother Parris. I really want to see Gwiz/Kerk run into each other. I know this isn't the Gwiz of old, but he is such a dynamic 125 and I feel like he would give Kerk fits.

i am an idiot on the internet

57 -- Zane Richards. He will have the easiest route to the crown, and although difficult, the cut isn't debilitating to him. I think Fix, Arujau and Spencer will have much tougher cuts. They will also have more of a challenge in their first round matches and will feel the effects in the first of the best of three matches on day two. Moreover, Zane had brilliant gameplans for Suriano and Gilman, and he'll have brilliant gameplans for the others. This whole bracket will be fire. 

65 -- Nick Lee. He's been so impressive. Retherford could give him a go, though, but again the cut. Absolutely can't count out Yianni and McKenna. Fun weight once you get to the semis. Before that, meh. 

74 -- I have no idea where Dake and Burroughs are in their training. My heart says Burroughs, but Dake has won lately. I'm going with Burroughs because he knows this is the absolute last go-round. That, in the end, would work out best for USA wrestling fans because Dake would be incentivized to wrestle another cycle. And the old trope, "You're not getting any younger," doesn't apply to him. 

86 -- This weight has a unanimous favorite in Taylor, but for college wrestling fans, it is a potpourri of entertaining wrestlers. Every match should be, at a minimum, keenly interesting. 

97 -- I think the Snyder versus Trumble winner is the rep, and that will be Captain America. Trumble will have to wait for at least another year. The Wolfpack kid has the height that's plagued Snyder recently, and he has a lot of muscle as well. But as young as he is, Snyder has a massive experience advantage. And he wrestles in every dang tournament, so you know where he's at, and he's consistent. You gotta believe he's working on hitting angles on his shots in the room right now.  

125 - I don't think Steveson risks tarnishing his Gold. There are actual threats domestically, and even bigger threats internationally. Parris is the man currently, but it could be exciting against Kerk. Hendrickson is thrown shade for his All Star loss against Kerk, but I saw him give up his knee in the U23 final to win the Gold. That was an absolutely brutal injury. I was shocked that he even wrestled in that All Star match. He's my dark horse. As for ILLINOIS boys, I think Cassioppi finishes higher on the ladder at 125 than at 97, but like Sumo wrestlers who retire, he has shed a lot of pounds. 

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, mspart said:

What about JB making it to the finals?   My heart says yes, but my head says a tough row to hoe.

mspart

Finals for sure. Only Nolf can beat him at this point and he is a major underdog at the senior level, no matter how many strides he has gained. That's not a knock on Nolf, that's acknowledging that even an aging JB is a mf'n dog.

Now watch O'Toole lose NCAAs and win the 74 spot lol

• Haha 1

I think that Hidlay vs. Brooks is going to be a bruising dogfight at both NCAAs and Trials for the right to meet Taylor.

Hidlay has been running through everyone at 197 this year and also has done well at freestyle.

Both Hidlay and Brooks are very short, muscular, and prone to using underhooks.   Not sure if that is an advantage or disadvantage versus DT, who has countered the best underhooks in the world against Yazdani.

I want to see Nolf against Boroughs for the right to meet Dake.   O'Toole vs. Mesenbrink could be a good quarterfinal matchup at 74KG and Monday has looked very good of late as well.

I can't picture Starocci making 74KG and it's hard to imagine Retherford down at 65KG again.  I think the latter should go 74 KG (a long shot) and then drop back to 70KG for the non-Olympic World Championships in the fall (after the Olympics).  

Edited by SocraTease
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I can't picture Starocci making 74KG

A guy like him says he's going to do something, I'll take his word for it, but that seems like a huge cut. Hell, 174 pounds looks like a helluva cut for him. 

I wonder if he wouldn't be preparing for 86KG if not for Brooks.

Just reiterates how asinine it is to have 6 Olympic weights in the oldest sport, but we've got...BREAK DANCING now. That's...an Olympic Sport. Break Dancing....I mean, c'mon....

• Fire 2

57 - Vito (this weight is hard to predict I think at his best hes certainly our best guy but we've not seen him at his best at this weight)

65 - Alirez (after teching Haji and beating beau without giving up a point I'm sold)

74 - Dake (I think O' toole may give him fits)

86 - DT (very excited for trent and brooks as well as zahid)

97 - Snyder (interested to see the trumble and cox matchups)

125 - Kerk I hope because I think he matches up best with Zare

Edited by Truzzcat
  • Fire 1

Just for shits and giggles I'm changing my pick and taking Cox at 125. The rumor mill is saying that he is going heavyweight because he doesn't want to cut weight for his last olympic run.

• Fire 2

57 - Lee blows through the US and finally reminds us why people were begging him to enter the international scene during his last two years of college.

65 - Nick Lee, who then proceeds to immediately get sent packing home and makes us all wonder, "what if world beater Yianni got the spot?"

74 - Dake.  My heart will hurt when JB leaves his shoes on the mat.

97 - Snyder, silver medal.

125 - I would love to say Steveson but I am tired of the bouncing back between both worlds of wrestling.  Parris goes and I could see him bringing back a medal for us as well...  Steveson then proceeds to tech him at WTT the following year for the hell of it.

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Just for shits and giggles I'm changing my pick and taking Cox at 125. The rumor mill is saying that he is going heavyweight because he doesn't want to cut weight for his last olympic run.

Do HWs have to weigh-in?  Could be a good move.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2024 at 1:14 AM, SocraTease said:

I think that Hidlay vs. Brooks is going to be a bruising dogfight at both NCAAs and Trials for the right to meet Taylor.

Hidlay has been running through everyone at 197 this year and also has done well at freestyle.

Both Hidlay and Brooks are very short, muscular, and prone to using underhooks.   Not sure if that is an advantage or disadvantage versus DT, who has countered the best underhooks in the world against Yazdani.

I want to see Nolf against Boroughs for the right to meet Dake.   O'Toole vs. Mesenbrink could be a good quarterfinal matchup at 74KG and Monday has looked very good of late as well.

I can't picture Starocci making 74KG and it's hard to imagine Retherford down at 65KG again.  I think the latter should go 74 KG (a long shot) and then drop back to 70KG for the non-Olympic World Championships in the fall (after the Olympics).  

"I'm pretty sure I saw that Hidlay was going 97k..."

my bad i checked and realized i was confusing going 197 so he can go 189 with bumping up in both styles.

Edited by Hammerlock3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Something crazy always happens at OTT and we get an unexpected rep. Any bold predictions for a crazy result in 74-125kg? 74 will be exciting but I wonder who could unseat Snyder at 97.

KOT winning 74 would be shocking but I give it a slight chance the guy he body bagged in u23 finals just took third at the European championships and is ranked 5th in Russia. Trumble has had a lot of success as of recently notably really pushing the Iranian that handled Snyder pretty soundly.

1 hour ago, Truzzcat said:

KOT winning 74 would be shocking but I give it a slight chance the guy he body bagged in u23 finals just took third at the European championships and is ranked 5th in Russia. Trumble has had a lot of success as of recently notably really pushing the Iranian that handled Snyder pretty soundly.

Bodybag as a verb? A+.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

57- Zain, or somebody we’ve never even considered, maybe Fix.  My heart wants Vito, but he is clearly very hurt, followed by Lee or Gilman, but I think Gilman is too big and I think Iowa wrung all the wrestling out of Lee.  I’d love to see gilman retire so spencer could transfer to NLWC and get some spiritual healing into those knees.

65 - Very torn here, I wish both guys could get a spot.  Gotta go Nick Lee, he is the perfect size for the weight, and has Yianni scouted really well.  That said, I think Yianni has a higher chance of medaling, bc he is so unorthodox, you can’t really train for his flexibility.

74 - Dake all day.  I doubt we see JB make the finals.  He’s busy being a dad, and he has spent so long up at a bigger weight, and I think his biological set point has moved up.  His legs looked so tiny in 2021 trials when Dake beat him.  I don’t think that improves.  If somehow we see starocci move down, I’ll call him to make a run.  

86 - Taylor over brooks, but brooks gives him fits.  Brooks’ neck is almost as wide as his waist at this point, that has to be hard to snap down.

97 -  Snyder over Zahid.  Calling that entry as the surprise now.  Zahid got a world medal up a weight, I think he finds surprising success in trials, takes out someone like Moore on the way.  

125 - Parris so long as steveson doesn’t show.  And I hope he doesn’t.  He has shown he’s in it for reasons other than love of the sport, and he’s already done it.  Best he can do is match 2021.  I hope he stays out of the way so Parris can chase some dreams.

JB is my heart pick too, but the climb is looking pretty steep. More interesting though will be the JB/Dake old guard vs. the KOT/Mes/Nolf new guard coming in. They've got a U23/Junior World champion and U20 champion gunning for the spot, and Nolf has been looking sharp lately. CarStar is always a threat, but he's a tweener and doesn't like weight cutting so I am skeptical of him at 74kg.

I can agree with Ohio.    JB has my heart, Dake does not.   But Dake is not going to lose to JB again.   This is assuming JB makes the finals.   And I think he can.   I think he is that good.   But I don't think he can take Dake unfortunately.   And worse, I don't think JB thinks he can take Dake.   It will be his last hurrah.   Jordan was not able to make the team at a non olympic weight last year.   I don't think he makes it at an Olympic weight this year.

mspart

• Fire 2

45 minutes ago, mspart said:

I can agree with Ohio.    JB has my heart, Dake does not.   But Dake is not going to lose to JB again.   This is assuming JB makes the finals.   And I think he can.   I think he is that good.   But I don't think he can take Dake unfortunately.   And worse, I don't think JB thinks he can take Dake.   It will be his last hurrah.   Jordan was not able to make the team at a non olympic weight last year.   I don't think he makes it at an Olympic weight this year.

mspart

perhaps he will take a thing out of sidakov's book and adapt that outside step to a head outside low single to kinda get around the chest wrap. I will make up any scenario in my head I can for jordan to get on the team lol.

• Fire 1

I reckon I'll play. 

57 - My gut says Spencer, My Heart says Fix, my mind says... I don't know maybe Vito does his thing. Yeah for my money give me Vito but with about 20% confidence. I guess I'm counting out Gilman and  Im a forever Richards doubter (Respect to him but he's not a possible finalist in my mind) 

65 - Alirez, in my eyes, is the favorite. He's just developed into an elite world-level 65kg wrestler. He's relentless, his takedowns are clean and he doesn't need a lot of "Funk" to finish. He's just designed for freestyle.  Could somebody beat him? sure. Lee/Yainni/McKenna/Zain-Train any winner of the weight isn't a huge surprise, but I guess if we were wagering I'd take Alirez heads up in any of those matches. 

74 - Mind says Dake, Heart says JB. I want to believe so badly that Burroughs will come out in top form. Having trained with Chamizo, a year off from World Competition to get his mind and body right, he's had forever to take a deep dive into how to beat that chest-wrap. blah blah blah. But the reality is, he didn't make the team last year against  lesser competition which gives me  such strong doubt. He's dropped matches before though, especially in best of 3's. Part of me wants to discount the losses and speculate that maybe you're not "all-in" on the prospect of beating Marstellar for a 6th or 7th time. But in your final year of wrestling dedicating your entire life to getting back to the Olympics.... it just feels like he is going to come out the best version of himself. Hope its enough. (I think the "up and comers" have some good battles with each other, but none take out JB or Dake)

86 - DT maybe his last rodeo? Or does he keep striving to go down as the goat. 

97 - Snyder, just the ideal 97kg approach. Size, strength, pressure. I wish J'den would come out well adjusted to the weight muscle/cardio wise but the few times we have seen him bump, he's looked very human. His lack of activity, new fatherhood role, etc etc kind of removes him from the picture (but I still think he gets 2nd 9x out of 10)

125 -  I guess Parris. Gable is out doing whatever and i don't think he wants to come back and meet a Zare who never took a break. Parris is athletic and stays busy on his feet which is enough to possibly medal depending on draw. Kerk relies a lot on being a hammer on the mat in folk , I know he had some success at cadets/juniors but just doesn't seem ready for seniors. Who knows. 

Recap. 
Probably: Vito, Alirez, Dake, DT, Snyder, Parris. 
but at the weights where I don't think it would diminish our team if the guy I am a fan of won. 
57kg - Fix
74kg - JB 
 (I just don't have the faith I used to)

• Fire 2