PSU at Iowa match commentary

Any way, as predicted, not a ton of fun in general (for me; I'm sure the PSU fans are loving it).  Some tough wrestling from Ayala (btw, WTF did Davis do to his face), Rathjen, Caliendo, Kennedy, Riggins, and Glazier.  Horseshoes and hand-grenades, though. Ass whooping.

Edited by VakAttack

1 minute ago, macwoodfleet said:

Did they turn the crowd mic’s off? I couldn’t hear any crowd noise the last hour 

Everyone gets ice-cream at the break, their tongues are frozen 2nd half. 

Just now, Grecojones said:

Did the Ayala knee remind anyone of the RBY arm behind the back?

In a way - except RBY could get TDs with his arm behind his back.  There is that inconvenient truth thing that is problematic for equivalency.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, swoopdown said:

In a way - except RBY could get TDs with his arm behind his back.  There is that inconvenient truth thing that is problematic for equivalency.

Did Ayala not get a TD?  How'd he get so many points? 

• Fire 1

Just now, swoopdown said:

Hey man. I was calling for the stall as loudly as anyone else. The rematch will be fun!

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Did Ayala not get a TD?  How'd he get so many points? 

how many from three point stance?   Seriously, I listened to this match on the radio and haven't seen it yet.  If he got one I'll concede equivalency (this match only)

Edited by swoopdown

2 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

how many from three point stance?  

I dunno?  More than Davis who just kept hitting him in the head and face and didn't particularly try to take a shot.

Edited by VakAttack

Stalling on Vak - we are discussing the equivalency of the three point stance not Davis's lack of shots or clubbing.  Deflection is a good tool for a lawyer though. 

maybe there would have been more shots by Ayala and Davis without the three point?  It was a winning strategy.  I don't fault Ayala for using it.  It was smart.  Not a personal preference but smart.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

I don't know what you can do about it, but that defense where Mesenbrink puts his own knee in danger.  I think, judging by how that whole match played out, Caliendo could win a rematch.  I think guys are freaked out by the pace, but Caliendo didn't melt and was attacking in the third.  Not saying I'd predict it.

LOL

1 minute ago, swoopdown said:

Stalling on Vak - we are discussing the equivalency of the three point stance not Davis's lack of shots or clubbing.  Deflection is a good tool for a lawyer though. 

maybe there would have been more shots by Ayala and Davis without the three point?  It was a winning strategy.  I don't fault Ayala for using it.  It was smart.  Not a personal preference but smart.

Except RBY wasn't shooting with one arm behind his back.  He was keeping his arm away from Desanto until he was ready to shoot.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Good point. 

My LOL was you saying you can see Caliendo winning a rematch??  Are you joking?  He’s lucky he didn’t get majored and I would predict that or worse next time they wrestle. 

not sure what the hell you watched to pick Caliendo in a rematch 

Just now, PortaJohn said:

The gap is only going to grow between those two.  

Certainly possible. Mesenbrink is great.  I think it's more likely to narrow as people feel his pace.  Like I said, Caliendo was still attacking late.  We'll see. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Pish said:

My LOL was you saying you can see Caliendo winning a rematch??  Are you joking?  He’s lucky he didn’t get majored and I would predict that or worse next time they wrestle. 

The Mesenbrink “break my leg defense” on a single leg is akin to the Peyton Hall defense. They put themselves in a danger position to get a restart. Red should just let it play out if they put themselves in that position. 

2 minutes ago, Pish said:

I literally said in the post you quoted that I was not saying I would predict it.  I think guys are freaked out before the match because of the pace.  Now that he's felt it and didn't melt, he'll feel more comfortable.  Similar thing happened with Desanto.

9 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I dunno?  More than Davis who just kept hitting him in the head and face and didn't particularly try to take a shot.

Just now, VakAttack said:

Except RBY wasn't shooting with one arm behind his back.  He was keeping his arm away from Desanto until he was ready to shoot.

RBY was quick enough to shoot a low single from an arm back, no tie position.   If he never did it I'd be surprised.  Regardless it was within the rules and the smart thing to do.   

• Haha 1