157: Haines v Mattin - Haines 12-2
165: Mesenbrink v Amine - Amine 5-4
174: Starocci v Griffith - Starocci 5-4
184: Truax v Bullock - Truax 10-6
197: Brooks v Striggow - Brooks 18-4
285: Kerkvliet v Davison - Kerkvliet 6-4

Final PSU 26-6

Some tasty match ups in this one.

• 125 Davis, not yet ranked (but that has to change, right?), against #3 DeAugustino to provide some clarity at 125? Yeah, no. Still no clarity no matter who wins.
  • 133 #4 Nagao against not yet ranked, but still 16-0 at 133, Dylan Ragusin. Nagao hasn't beaten anyone notable while Ragusin's best win is probably over Colaiocco from Penn. Both guys have questions outstanding they need to answer.
  • 149 True freshman Kasak coming in for injured Shayne Van Ness shows off PSU's depth. His only loss so far is to teammate Bartlett at 141. But this is a big step in class against one of the favorites at 149, Austin Gomez.
  • 165 Mesenbrink v Amine may be the most interesting match up of the night. The contrast in styles and experience could not be more stark. PSU's red shirt freshman is all gas/no brakes. Meanwhile Michigan's fifth year junior likes to keep them close. Though Amine is coming off of a rough stretch (lost 3 of last 4), he has seen it all and will look to shut Mesenbrink's offense down.
  • 174 Starocci and Griffith, the first #1 v #4 match up, will bring four titles to the mat with them. Though Starocci is looking like a Hodge favorite this year while Griffith has already taken two losses.
  • 285 Kerkvliet and Davison are the second #1 v #4 match up of the night. With 11 years of college wrestling experience between them this has to be one of the most, if not the most, number of combined years on the mat at one time.  Surprisingly this is the only pair that have ever wrestled each other before, though Davison was at Northwestern for that one.  Davison leads 1-0, but Kerkvliet is the favorite to even the series.
  • Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

125: Davis dec DeAugustino 3-0

133: Ragusin dec Nagao 3-3

141: Bartlett dec Lemley 6-3

149: Gomez dec Kasak 6-6

157: Haines fall Mattin 13-6

165: Mesenbrink major Amine 17-6

174: Starrocci major Griffith 21-6

184: Truax dec Bullock 24-6

197: Aaron Brooks major Striggow 28-6

285: Davison dec Kerkvliet 28-9

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

One more thing.

There are 7 ranked v ranked match ups in this one and by the time the match starts all 10 may be ranked v ranked.

So ... you are saying Michigan has a chance?  🤔

18 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

• 285 Kerkvliet and Davison are the second #1 v #4 match up of the night. With 11 years of college wrestling experience between them this has to be one of the most, if not the most, number of combined years on the mat at one time.  Surprisingly this is the only pair that have ever wrestled each other before, though Davison was at Northwestern for that one.  Davison leads 1-0, but Kerkvliet is the favorite to even the series.

Kerk beat Davison 5-3 in their onlt meeting.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

6 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

As much as I don’t want it to happen, I get the feeling all starters won’t wrestle. 

If Amine isn't healthy or fit, he's going to get destroyed by Mesenbrink. Fish isn't on the level at all and Amine just took an L to him.

28 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Might want to check that one, my man. 

7 hours ago, Le duke said:

If Amine isn't healthy or fit, he's going to get destroyed by Mesenbrink. Fish isn't on the level at all and Amine just took an L to him.

Eh, Fish has taken him to OT before as well as wrestled him tough two other times.  It is a rivalry match (both are from the state of Michigan as well - Fish from Eaton Rapids (D2) and Amine from Detroit Catholic Central (D1).  Add in that Fish came up around the time as Amine and Facundo, yet was never really talked about in the same breath and this is absolutely a match that he has circled on his board every single time.

Add in that Amine will wrestle just about anybody to a one takedown match and there you have it.  Fish finally got one.

8 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The first of a wrestling triple header.

Probables with Wrestlestat predictions

125: Davis v DeAugustino - Davis 8-3
133: Nagao v Ragusin - Nagao 7-3
141: Bartlett v Lemley - Bartlett 10-3
149: Kasak v Gomez - Gomez 12-5
157: Haines v Mattin - Haines 12-2
165: Mesenbrink v Amine - Amine 5-4
174: Starocci v Griffith - Starocci 5-4
184: Truax v Bullock - Truax 10-6
197: Brooks v Striggow - Brooks 18-4
285: Kerkvliet v Davison - Kerkvliet 6-4

Final PSU 26-6

Some tasty match ups in this one.

• 125 Davis, not yet ranked (but that has to change, right?), against #3 DeAugustino to provide some clarity at 125? Yeah, no. Still no clarity no matter who wins.
  • 133 #4 Nagao against not yet ranked, but still 16-0 at 133, Dylan Ragusin. Nagao hasn't beaten anyone notable while Ragusin's best win is probably over Colaiocco from Penn. Both guys have questions outstanding they need to answer.

Good writeup, but kinda disagree with your conclusions here.

125 is a mess because everybody has been taking losses.  Davis has not yet, although he really only has one win over a top 10ish guy in Kaylor.   Beating DeAugustino would give him another one and IMO put him squarely in the national title conversation, which he may have somewhat been already due to the parity but I think many are hesitant to do yet. 

On the flip side, both Nagao and Ragusin are proven commodities, no result would really surprise me.  Ragusin has plenty of big wins in his career, just hasn’t been able to put it all together to AA yet.

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Good writeup, but kinda disagree with your conclusions here.

125 is a mess because everybody has been taking losses.  Davis has not yet, although he really only has one win over a top 10ish guy in Kaylor.   Beating DeAugustino would give him another one and IMO put him squarely in the national title conversation, which he may have somewhat been already due to the parity but I think many are hesitant to do yet. 

On the flip side, both Nagao and Ragusin are proven commodities, no result would really surprise me.  Ragusin has plenty of big wins in his career, just hasn’t been able to put it all together to AA yet.

Good points

Most interesting matchups for me, in order:

149:  Gomez is always fun to watch, and Kasak showed some flashiness against Rooks as well.   Kasak's first test against a top 5ish guy.

165: Clash of styles, and Mesenbrink's first test against a top 5ish guy.

125: Want to see more from Davis, especially against a guy like DeAugustino who is one of the biggest 125's I've seen and also can ride.   I'd put this higher on the list but DeAugustino is incredibly boring to watch.

125: DeAugustino dec Davis 0-3

133: Ragusin dec Nagao 0-6

141: Bartlett dec Lemley 3-6

149: Gomez dec Kasak 3-9

157: Haines maj Mattin 7-9

165: Amine dec Mesenbrink 7-12

174: Starrocci dec Griffith 10-12

184: Truax dec Bullock 13-12

197: Aaron Brooks major Striggow 17-12

285: Kerkvliet dec Davison 20-12

17 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

125: DeAugustino dec Davis 0-3

133: Ragusin dec Nagao 0-6

141: Bartlett dec Lemley 3-6

149: Gomez dec Kasak 3-9

157: Haines maj Mattin 7-9

165: Amine dec Mesenbrink 7-12

174: Starrocci dec Griffith 10-12

184: Truax dec Bullock 13-12

197: Aaron Brooks major Striggow 17-12

285: Kerkvliet dec Davison 20-12

Are you feeling OK?

DeAugistino dec Davis 3-0 Mich (I'm being cautious with Davis at this point)

Nagao dec Ragusin 3-3

Bartlett dec Lemley 6-3 PSU

Gomez dec Kasak 6-6

Haines dec Lewan 9-6 PSU

MM dec Amine 12-6 PSU

Star md Griffith 16-6 PSU

Truax md Bullox 20-6 PSU

Brooks tech Striggow 25-6 PSU

Kerk dec Davison 28-6 PSU

26 minutes ago, Le duke said:

So had Olguin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cam Amine beat Alex Marinelli, who beat Vincenzo Joseph, who beat Isaiah Martinez, who beat Jason Nolf, who beat Georgios Kougioumtsidis, who beat Kadimagomedov, who beat Kyle Dake, who beat Jordan Burroughs... Therefore Cam Amine USA GOAT. 

• Fire 2

15 minutes ago, Gus said:

Cam Amine beat Alex Marinelli, who beat Vincenzo Joseph, who beat Isaiah Martinez, who beat Jason Nolf, who beat Georgios Kougioumtsidis, who beat Kadimagomedov, who beat Kyle Dake, who beat Jordan Burroughs... Therefore Cam Amine USA GOAT. 

This.