Who is the single greatest wrestler from your school?

Jimmy Cinnabon

HS - Bob Zaro 60s, John Barna 80s. Mike Coyle only D1 AA until Brandon Paetzell 2020. Mike Rossetti D3 champ.

Bob Stem state champ in 50s but more of a footballer. Played for Syracuse around time of Jim Brown/Ernie Davis. Hall of Fame as HS Coach.

College- Mike Caruso, Darryl Burley probably a little ahead of Mike Frick, Mark Lieberman, Kirk Pendleton, Eddie Eichelberger. Bobby Weaver internationally.

• Fire 1

Ben Askren (2,2,1,1; 2x Hodge; 2008 Oly Team member)

or

J'den Cox (1,5,1,1; 2016 Oly Bronze; World B,G,G,B,S)

If you are counting folk and free, it's J'den, no doubt. Just folk makes it a much tougher call, but hopefully O'Toole will settle the debate in a few years. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Caitlyn Chase deserves very strong consideration for her contributions at GBN

You are absolutely right, and shame on me as she was there when my kids were there.

If we rank based on HS achievements I think the list looks very different.

1. Chase (first woman in IL HS history to qualify for the state tournament),
  2. Cortez (one of only 13(?) four timers, with 3 at GN),
  3. Ramos (3 timer),
  4. Gomez (3 timer) (tied for 3rd?),
  5. Assad (2 timer).
  • Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

21 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You are absolutely right, and shame on me as she was there when my kids were there.

To add to her legend, when she competed there were only two classes in IL and the Glenbard North sectional (the tournament that defines state qualifiers in IL) consistently would have all three qualifiers place at state + one/two would typically place at Fargo. Absolute meat grinder hotbed of talent - this was the same small geographic area that Bormet based Overtime out of to give context. And Caitlyn Chase took it to those boys to become the first female state qualifier long before separate tournaments existed.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Did you try repenting harder? Maybe an extra hail mary for Montini's sake? [no clue if Providence and Montini are still powerhouses lol]

Providence is rebuilding with a good coach. Don’t know if they’ll be winning state but they’re much better.
Montini fell off a cliff after the.. incident/fallout with Izzy. They even dropped down a division 

22 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Buddy Lee, 2x AA, Olympian
Jody Staylor, NCAA Finalist
Ryan Williams, NCAA Finalist
Chris Mecate, 2x AA

Several "College Division" champions back when the school was relatively formidable in that era before moving to Division I in 1976.

Definitely remember being witness to Buddy Lee and his incredible jumping ropes skills on more than one occasion.  Our club coach, Roy Pittman, used to have Buddy come to Peninsula Wrestling Club and do demonstrations.

15 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

HS - Bob Zaro 60s, John Barna 80s. Mike Coyle only D1 AA until Brandon Paetzell 2020. Mike Rossetti D3 champ.

Bob Stem state champ in 50s but more of a footballer. Played for Syracuse around time of Jim Brown/Ernie Davis. Hall of Fame as HS Coach.

College- Mike Caruso, Darryl Burley probably a little ahead of Mike Frick, Mark Lieberman, Kirk Pendleton, Eddie Eichelberger. Bobby Weaver internationally.

Darryl Burley....an all-time favorite....4 time finalist 2 time champion

5 hours ago, ionel said:

Uetake

I know you're going to say because he never lost, but really????  Over John Smith 6 time world and Olympic champion (consecutively)  If I remember correctly, Uetake did lose a match in the Olympic Trials (Japan) to Yoshiro Fujita.....Fujita then competed for OSU NCAA Champion and most likely 2 timer if he isn't seriously injured first round of the 1972 NCAA's and has to default out.