All time heel team

Hammerlock3

I kinda think Zahid Valencia doesn't get enough credit for his heel energy. Great wrestler, gave attitude to his opponents, and the cocaine suspension was icing on the cake. Let's throw Zahid in the lineup at 184 (174 his best weight but he's stuck behind Starocci on Team Heel

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I feel like Mike Evans got a lot of hate during his time for face mushes (real or perceived), OOB shoves, and... his facial hair.

he also falls under the category that makes me say ramos is a better heel than metcalf, that being thier amount of attitude is not proportionate with the amount actual wrestling they do. 

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

3 hours ago, Bardamu911 said:

I kinda think Zahid Valencia doesn't get enough credit for his heel energy. Great wrestler, gave attitude to his opponents, and the cocaine suspension was icing on the cake. Let's throw Zahid in the lineup at 184 (174 his best weight but he's stuck behind Starocci on Team Heel

He was probably my favorite heel though.  Lots of offense and pretty creative

• Fire 1

Of the other names mentioned, I might need to add Fleming and Evans to my team.  Fleming was as good a choke artist as the East Lansing Strangler himself.  His "OMG how did THAT happen!?" facial expression when the opponent went out was priceless.  And didn't Evans miss the state tournament one year in high school for taking a dump in some kid's baseball glove?  Even if its not true, the rumor alone is enough to burnish his heel reputation. 

On 12/10/2023 at 5:50 PM, wrestle87 said:

Great call.

Anybody around who remembers the 80’s Iowa teams? There have to be some guys from those teams, I just wasn’t around to watch them.

Who would you include besides the Brands???  Not sure I can think of anyone else.

44 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Who would you include besides the Brands???  Not sure I can think of anyone else.

I’m not sure, just remember reading gable’s books back in the day and he referenced having to show up at bars and straighten things out with the cops a few times, figured that is worthy of inclusion, but I don’t know who that would include

1 minute ago, wrestle87 said:

I’m not sure, just remember reading gable’s books back in the day and he referenced having to show up at bars and straighten things out with the cops a few times, figured that is worthy of inclusion, but I don’t know who that would include

alger is the one you're looking for, ironically he was mentioned in the "anti-heel" topic, but i think thats cause he does a lot of nostalgia videos on flo.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, wrestle87 said:

I hadn’t thought about this, but what about Dake? He was the anti-captain america for so much of his career, being the un-taylor, un-burroughs and un-cox,  the shadowy mountain voodoo ninja who just kept at it for almost a decade before really breaking through.

dake won as a true freshman, moved up to beat taylor, and he beat 2 iowa/psu guys(reminder people hate these teams) to win his titles. I'm not saying its right but the narratives involved make him a hero not a heel.

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

dake won as a true freshman, moved up to beat taylor, and he beat 2 iowa/psu guys(reminder people hate these teams) to win his titles. I'm not saying its right but the narratives involved make him a hero not a heel.

His ambush phone-in to FRL was very heel-like, so is his "off the mat vibe."

Gives off Bond-villain type energy.

• Fire 1

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

His ambush phone-in to FRL was very heel-like, so is his "off the mat vibe."

Gives off Bond-villain type energy.

i agree. again the narrative frames he operated in made him easy to cheer for, thats not a compliment to him.

38 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

alger is the one you're looking for, ironically he was mentioned in the "anti-heel" topic, but i think thats cause he does a lot of nostalgia videos on flo.

And as you mentioned in the other thread, he's funny and we've been able to see him be funny...

On 12/10/2023 at 5:50 PM, wrestle87 said:

Great call.

Anybody around who remembers the 80’s Iowa teams? There have to be some guys from those teams, I just wasn’t around to watch them.

11 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

11 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

11 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

Thanks for the reminder......you reminded me of a great "read" in my library....."The New Breed" written by Lou Banach/Mike Chapman.....going to dust it off and reread it.  All my "coaching" books are highlighted and hand indexed in the back for quick reference!!!  Alger was one and Penrith another......but they weren't bad on the mat or as human beings, I just think they liked to drink.  I think Penrith doesn't drink at all anymore.  They are both in a number of hall of fames and went on to success internationally.  I don't think you can put them on this team.

the new breed.jpg

the new breed2.jpg

• Fire 6

On 12/11/2023 at 9:15 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

After watching "The Dual" on Prime, I was impressed by how much camaraderie there is/was between those Iowa and Iowa State squads.  Multiple Iowa State guys spoke fondly of Alger and his actions before, during, and after their college careers.  He seems beloved by those guys.  As I may have mentioned before, he is also tight with the Smith family, which is why he wears the cowboy hat to Oklahoma State duals.

Particularly amusing was Van Arsdale's story of he and Alger riding together on a float for the Lisbon, IA sauerkraut festival.  

I think he is firmly out of heel territory.

• Fire 1