Tommy Boy is angry!

Threadkilla

Again, for the record I think these comments are a bad look for Brands.   He even pulled the "but it's legal if you're over 21" line.   Aren't there multiple things that are "legal" but against NCAA rules?

But I think it's fair to ask why UNI at least was seemingly spared.

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Again, for the record I think these comments are a bad look for Brands.   He even pulled the "but it's legal if you're over 21" line.   Aren't there multiple things that are "legal" but against NCAA rules?

A statement by whom?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Brands seems like a tiny man who believes in big conspiracies.  Something is always hiding in the cornfield, so to speak, to blame or to provide a simplistic single-cause explanation to a complex, multi-causal situation.   I would bet he listens to a lot of reactionary talk radio on his drives through the midwest.   This is arguably a larger problem in the wrestling (and athletic) community: the tendency to project the one-on-one struggle on the mat onto a larger social field so that it frequently devolves into something like us vs. them, the good guys vs. the enemy, stark black and white views of complicated affairs, extreme individualism, blind loyalty, etc.   Among other things, it's a form of moral and intellectual immaturity.

• Fire 6

9 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Brands seems like a tiny man who believes in big conspiracies.  Something is always hiding in the cornfield, so to speak, to blame or to provide a simplistic single-cause explanation to a complex, multi-causal situation.   I would bet he listens to a lot of reactionary talk radio on his drives through the midwest.   This is arguably a larger problem in the wrestling (and athletic) community: the tendency to project the one-on-one struggle on the mat onto a larger social field so that it frequently devolves into something like us vs. them, the good guys vs. the enemy, stark black and white views of complicated affairs, extreme individualism, blind loyalty, etc.   Among other things, it's a form of moral and intellectual immaturity.

Are we really supposed to believe that UNI and all of the D2 and D3 schools in Iowa did not have anyone affected by this? I think he has a point to an extent. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Maybe they followed the rules, shocking but some programs do.

Yeah I get it, you’re the third person to say this.  But there was a statement made (not sure by who, but reported by a journalist and not just a message board poster) that UNI did not have anyone being investigated.

And like the poster above just said, while I think people are exaggerating with the “but everyone’s doing it” rhetoric, it’s highly unlikely that not a single UNI (or Iowa D2 or D3 school) athlete gambled.

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I get it, you’re the third person to say this.  But there was a statement made (not sure by who, but reported by a journalist and not just a message board poster) that UNI did not have anyone being investigated.

And like the poster above just said, while I think people are exaggerating with the “but everyone’s doing it” rhetoric, it’s highly unlikely that not a single UNI (or Iowa D2 or D3 school) athlete gambled.

Well generally the police need some kind of info before they start investigating.  Maybe they weren't betting, maybe they weren't betting on their own schools, maybe they didn't come on X to brag about their gambling, maybe all the investigators graduated from Penn St.  🤷‍♀️

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Hypothesizing, wouldn't there have to be a link between an UNI athlete to the original suspect(s) to warrant an investigation?  I don't believe you can investigate just on a hunch.    

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

57 minutes ago, ionel said:

Well generally the police need some kind of info before they start investigating. 

Sorry man, this one went out the door a long time ago, police need to feel like doing something about it, or be motivated from above, and they find a way to investigate.  You’re in the state of Iowa, and you’re going after two of the most well known sports teams in the state, in the exact area that is making tons of national headlines and truckloads of NCAA adjacent revenue, and you’re “just following the bread crumbs?” 

Coincidences don’t line up that perfectly in the face of the sort of influence that Iowa wrestling has.  Someone is trying to make a statement, albeit an odd one, within the state of Iowa.

6 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Hypothesizing, wouldn't there have to be a link between an UNI athlete to the original suspect(s) to warrant an investigation?  I don't believe you can investigate just on a hunch.    

Was there a link between “the original suspect(s)” at Iowa and Iowa state?   Or even “the original suspect(s)” and the other athletes at the same school on different teams?  Who even was the “original suspect(s)”?  I don’t really know the specifics of what started it, although IIRC there was something about someone using a family member’s account (don’t think it was originally Paniro, but not sure).

If the Iowa wrestlers for example all had their own accounts on the betting site(s), I’d presume all the investigators had to do was look through the site records for athletes’ names.  I guess we don’t know for sure if they did that for UNI or not, but it seems not.

Originally posted at The ILLINI Wrestling Blog & Forum & Beyond.

ANOTHER CHAPTER IN THE IOWA GAMBLING CRISIS

According to the esteemed head coach of the Iowa Hawkeye wrestling team, there appears to be a great conspiracy on the part of the Department of Justice and sundry others to hold only Iowa State and University of Iowa athletes accountable for gambling violations. 

This unpleasant conspiracy of selective prosecution may have been illegal, the coach mused. 

There was also the allegation that there are so many other student-athletes at so many other institutions gambling so much of the time, that they must be struck on the head unconscious and dragged from their wagering speculations onto the football fields, volleyball courts, wrestling mats and other various fields of play or they'd be too busy betting on the Iowa women's basketball team to pursue their own sport. 

This, of course, was classic DARVO, which stands for deny, attack, and reverse victim and offender. The acclaimed coach of the Iowa team went on to blame everybody but himself for the calamitous affair, going so far as to provide the local media with enough blame to put a dozen men on the gallows. 

It was all a very spectacular way for the coach to bully his way out of answering direct questions such as: Why did this happen? Do you feel responsible, even in the tiniest bit, for the outcome? What changes, if any, will be made to ensure that this doesn't happen again in the future? 

The one iota of news that was uttered by the acclaimed Iowa coach was that two appeals are still ongoing, but we don't know who is still appealing and what relief they have requested. 

To celebrate this amazing show of exuberant buffoonery, we felt the need to create a buffoonishly exuberant video. This is that video:

We have previously reported on the Iowa gambling crisis in depth here. That report also includes a fun JOMBO™ strip on the topic of wagering by Iowa athletes. 

• Fire 2

Curious if there are any sort of bylaws, rules, or stipulations insofar as Code of Conduct and shit talking the NCAA.  Anything in there that might get him (or anything Terry has said publicly) some sort of fine or ban or suspension?

The B1G just suspended Harbaugh for the balance of the regular season simply for getting caught doing what everyone else everywhere is doing.  Cited Sportsmanship.  The Brands Bros are publicly bashing the NCAA governing body as it currently is.  That is worse, right?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

8 hours ago, ionel said:

Well generally the police need some kind of info before they start investigating.  Maybe they weren't betting, maybe they weren't betting on their own schools, maybe they didn't come on X to brag about their gambling, maybe all the investigators graduated from Penn St.  🤷‍♀️

The AG was looking into underage gambling.  

13 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Were there any criminal charges filed against anyone in other sports at University of Iowa?

I’ll answer my own question - looks like yes:

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/former-iowa-kicker-charged-gambling-sting-allegedly-won-101957643

But it states that after Iowa was notified about the allegations, that they then notified the NCAA about additional potential NCAA violations.  It doesn’t seem that ISU did this.  So really it seems like Tom’s ire, if he’s not going to place any blame on the athletes, should more be directed at the University of Iowa and not the NCAA or DOJ?

Edited by 1032004

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’ll answer my own question - looks like yes:

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/former-iowa-kicker-charged-gambling-sting-allegedly-won-101957643

But it states that after Iowa was notified about the allegations, that they then notified the NCAA about additional potential NCAA violations.  It doesn’t seem that ISU did this.  So really it seems like Tom’s ire, if he’s not going to place any blame on the athletes, should more be directed at the University of Iowa and not the NCAA?

Isn't a lot of the ire being directed at the AG's office?

11 hours ago, 1032004 said:

It's generally not illegal to use a sauna.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.