Tommy Boy is angry!

Threadkilla

Just now, Threadkilla said:

He's upset and he feels that Iowa and Iowa State were targeted when nobody else was. 

Did he acknowledge that both Iowa & Iowa St are located in the state of Iowa?  Did he say why he forgot to tell his nephew to not gamble and not break NCAA rules?  Maybe I should waste 17 minutes.  

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, lightweight said:

Mrs. Brands has had 23 years of this?  I think she'll get to skip Purgatory when her day comes and get to go straight to heaven.  🙂

I would have liked to been a fly on the wall when she brought that up to him that the suspended guys could wrestle in open tournaments.  yikes

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

Did he acknowledge that both Iowa & Iowa St are located in the state of Iowa?  Did he say why he forgot to tell his nephew to not gamble and not break NCAA rules?  Maybe I should waste 17 minutes.  

I would like to hear Brands theory on how the Iowa Gaming Commission should try and enforce something on Penn State

Edited by flyingcement

Now I can see why he gets along with the Ferrari family. I'm sure he'll welcome the eldest Ferrari to the team and tell him he's an outstanding citizen and was treated unfairly at OSU. 

For someone who preaches personal accountability, Tom Brands really doesn’t like personal accountability. The victim complex can be a powerful motivator and he’s latched into it, hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 7

25 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Right, It's the medias' fault for not asking the right questions!  Not my fault at all as the coach.

Yeah literally saying it was the media’s fault was odd.

I usually love Brands interviews, but the whole premise of “you’re not asking the right questions” was also odd because the question that prompted that response was “what are your thoughts on the ruling” which would have allowed him to say just about anything.

Then after his ramble he doesn’t really allow follow-ups to perhaps “ask the right questions” and says “let’s talk about Oregon State.”

Then someone does try to get clarification on the specific wrestlers and he just goes back to “you’re asking the wrong questions.”  I would think getting official confirmation on who’s suspended and for how long would be a “right question” but apparently not.  He earlier had made comments about 174, 184, and 285 “not being the guys on the poster” for Oregon State, and did say that 2 of the suspended guys still have open appeals.

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

How dare the state of Iowa investigate potential crimes in the State of Iowa!

Tom Brands is not a very smart man.

I just wrote up a big bashing of Brands but to be fair one could ask why were Northern Iowa or any of the non-D1 schools not targeted as well?

• Fire 1

I just wrote up a big bashing of Brands but to be fair one could ask why were Northern Iowa or any of the non-D1 schools not targeted as well?

Maybe their coaches did their jobs, to include hammering home the importance of NCAA rules on gambling?

The absence of charges or suspensions doesn’t mean they weren’t investigated.

• Fire 4

The Brands do things that are pro-Iowa, they do things that are good for themselves, the starting 10, and the best guys in the HWC.

He’s not wrong, and likely knows that somebody within Iowa was trying to make a career move in a prosecutor’s office by going after athletes who are doing the same thing thousands of other athletes are doing daily.  

There is not a snowball’s chance in hell these two teams are magically the only ones who have broken this very temporary and capricious rule. 

Also, from a performance perspective, Brands wants Cassioppi back.  Nelson got lucky and wrestled his heart out last year to place, but he’s not a reliable AA threat.  He doesn’t have the offense or reactions to be that in the post-Penn State wrestling world.

3 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Maybe their coaches did their jobs, to include hammering home the importance of NCAA rules on gambling?

The absence of charges or suspensions doesn’t mean they weren’t investigated.

I have to say, anything coming from the NCAA is only for optics.  

And, similar to the michigan football forward scouting situation, we have ten dogs lined up who just jumped in the pool and we’re only going to declare one of them is wet?  

That’s how the NCAA operates, it’s political-style house of cards enforcement for obfuscation and media management, not enforcement based on principal.  The NCAA and the conferences are broadcasting rights management organizations.  Clipping some wrestlers is a very easy way to send a message to save football and basketball.