Tommy Boy is angry!

Threadkilla

10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Isn't a lot of the ire being directed at the AG's office?

Maybe, I edited to add the DOJ. But based on my prior link they were investigating actual crimes which goes against Tom’s claim that everything was legal, although maybe he was only referring to the wrestlers. But still, as far as I can tell it was as a result of those criminal investigations that Iowa found further NCAA violations

Edited by 1032004

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Maybe, I edited to add the DOJ. But based on my prior link they were investigating actual crimes which goes against Tom’s claim that everything was legal. As far as I can tell it was as a result of those criminal investigations that Iowa found further NCAA violations

I think the AG is generally the person in charge of a DOJ.  Not sure how it varies from state to state, but the AG is usually in charge.  I don't think there were actual crimes committed by Iowa wrestlers, but they were breaking NCAA rules which were reported.

Also, I have been told that most NCAA violations are self-reported.  I was told this when I was part of a group reported to the NCAA (but not disciplined).🤣

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I think the AG is generally the person in charge of a DOJ.  Not sure how it varies from state to state, but the AG is usually in charge.  I don't think there were actual crimes committed by Iowa wrestlers, but they were breaking NCAA rules which were reported.

Also, I have been told that most NCAA violations are self-reported.  I was told this when I was part of a group reported to the NCAA (but not disciplined).🤣

Correct, my point is that actual crimes by other sport athletes were being investigated.  And it looks like Iowa then reported the NCAA, but non-criminal violations as a result of that 

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Le duke said:

For someone who preaches personal accountability, Tom Brands really doesn’t like personal accountability. The victim complex can be a powerful motivator and he’s latched into it, hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That appears to be the case.   Conversely, I saw it podcast where Mitchell Mesenbrink was being interviewed, it was about NIL, but he said it has been drilled into him and every other wrestler in the program that they follow the letter of the law.  It's a large part of the culture.  

4 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

That appears to be the case.   Conversely, I saw it podcast where Mitchell Mesenbrink was being interviewed, it was about NIL, but he said it has been drilled into him and every other wrestler in the program that they follow the letter of the law.  It's a large part of the culture.  

https://www.statecollege.com/articles/local-news/penn-state-wrestler-long-charged-with-attempted-rape-indecent-assault/

https://www.centredaily.com/news/local/crime/article42835923.html

Always following the letter of the law!

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, AOCStallsLikeAMug said:

Should be mad at his brother for not teaching his son better 

Interestingly enough Nelson. Brands admitted in a tweet that he skipped the training on not being allowed to gamble on anything while an athlete at Iowa. The impression that I got was that he was trying to imply that he was ignorant of the rules so he should be spared. It's a terribly poor argument but I don't know why else he would publicly admit this.

19 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Do you think these guys were told not to rape or drive while drunk?

The point is, even Cael's choirboys sometimes break rules. 

Man, be careful.  That is a gross false equivalency.  

Pointing at someone who was so personally destructive to himself and those in his vicinity because of personal demons and using that as a “see they break rules too” is both unrelated and really gross.  

Please stop with this line of argumentation, it’s disrespectful to both sides of the comparison.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, B.Miller said:

Dresser also discussed the gambling investigation during his media day.

https://cyclones.com/watch/?Archive=20106&type=Archive

Thanks for the link.  He does ask a similar question of “why was it only Iowa and Iowa State,” albeit more calmly of course.

He also alludes to that Paniro will lose a year of eligibility (I thought there was still question around that).   I’m also not sure if I realized there were more guys than just Paniro involved, but I guess the rest are backups?

10 hours ago, Gus said:

Are we really supposed to believe that UNI and all of the D2 and D3 schools in Iowa did not have anyone affected by this? I think he has a point to an extent.

This argument appears to be somewhat hypocritical. While some individuals, including Brands, may disagree with the ruling on the gambling investigations, it is unfair and unjust to speculate about the actions of other teams or programs without any evidence. As a leader, Brands should focus on guiding his own team in the right direction rather than worrying about others.

2 minutes ago, JVStateChamp said:

This argument appears to be somewhat hypocritical. While some individuals, including Brands, may disagree with the ruling on the gambling investigations, it is unfair and unjust to speculate about the actions of other teams or programs without any evidence. As a leader, Brands should focus on guiding his own team in the right direction rather than worrying about others.

Also what about all the high schools in Iowa, why weren't they investigated?  Tom needs to expand his outrage.  🙄

What cracked me up about his rant is he kept saying they are asking the wrong questions of the wrong guy even though they asked the right questions of the right guy. He used that as a deflection to not answer the right questions.

After answering their questions about the impact on his team perhaps he could have suggested they ALSO ask other questions of other people in addition to their right questions of him.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

What cracked me up about his rant is he kept saying they are asking the wrong questions of the wrong guy even though they asked the right questions of the right guy. He used that as a deflection to not answer the right questions.

After answering their questions about the impact on his team perhaps he could have suggested they ALSO ask other questions of other people in addition to their right questions of him.

Maybe he's saying they gotta lot bigger cheating going on and no one's asking but that?  🤷‍♀️

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I didn't watch the video.  Is Tom mad that his wrestlers broke a NCAA rule, that they were caught, or that only 2 Iowa schools were caught by the Iowa authorities doing the investigation?

First two in private, third in the video. 

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

10 and 12 years ago, meanwhile Iowa wrestling literally had one of there wrestlers SHOOT a returning AA since then and are letting the Ferraris in , the elder 2 took an Ak -47 and did a drive by on another teammates house and let’s not forget AJ drunk waving around a gun making an instagram video in which he threatens to kill John smith but yea Ed Ruth being drunk and wanting Tacos definitely made your point 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Thanks for the link.  He does ask a similar question of “why was it only Iowa and Iowa State,” albeit more calmly of course.

He also alludes to that Paniro will lose a year of eligibility (I thought there was still question around that).   I’m also not sure if I realized there were more guys than just Paniro involved, but I guess the rest are backups?

Nelson Brands was involved too. 

His excuse was he missed the meeting where they went over the severity of the punishments if caught 🙄

22 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

10 and 12 years ago, meanwhile Iowa wrestling literally had one of there (their) wrestlers SHOOT a returning AA since then and are letting the Ferraris in , the elder 2 took an Ak -47 and did a drive by on another teammates house and let’s not forget AJ drunk waving around a gun making an instagram video in which he threatens to kill John smith but yea Ed Ruth being drunk and wanting Tacos definitely made your point 

Terrible stuff, but I was just told "false equivalency" so a moot point.

An AK 47? Are you sure?  Really? Were there charges filed regarding the drive by? I am far from a fan of the older Ferrari boys.

So you are coming out as pro- DUI?

The point was :  Cael's guys screw up too, even though they've been told not to.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

45 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Terrible stuff, but I was just told "false equivalency" so a moot point.

An AK 47? Are you sure?  Really? Were there charges filed regarding the drive by? I am far from a fan of the older Ferrari boys.

So you are coming out as pro- DUI?

The point was :  Cael's guys screw up too, even though they've been told not to.

I don't remember Cael ever complaining about the Justice Dept after Ed or Andrew got in trouble though. Thats the issue. Tom isnt accepting responsibility for his athletes, hes pushing blame elsewhere. 

maybe im wrong, but i dont think i am

Edited by TNwrestling
  • Fire 2