Journeyman Collegiate Classic

nhs67

1 hour ago, gromit said:

Haines dinged up his left knee in his first bout and seems to be favoring it in his second match. Still WBF though....hopefully nothing serious.

Same thing with Shapiro but it's his right knee. ugh.

Just watched Haines vs Brignola. Haines suffered something today in that left knee. He did not move naturally for him.

• Stalling 1

1 minute ago, Gus said:

Wow, just watched Crookham vs Vito. Crookham has great takedown defense. Like the other said, not sure I would pick him in a rematch but he’s very legit. 

Agree.  Here's the post I made on the Lehigh forum:

All that said, I see him coming into the rankings around #3 or #4. I think it will go:

#1 Fix
#2 Vito
#3 Crookham

I believe Vito greatly underestimated Crookham, and wasn't able to react effectively when it was necessary. His mistake... nothing against Ryan, but I expect that Vito will be better prepared next time.

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

Crookham made sense as the starter, given his HS background.  The kid had two PIAA titles and 100 wins by the end of his Sophomore year. Had to sit out as a JR due to transfer to Saucon Valley and then won as a SR while recovering from an injury.  

His crossover final bout vs Vito should be a good barometer as to where he sits on the national scene.

They do now!

D3

lu alum, you can't be totally shocked assuming you watched Crookham in h.s. I know this isn't h.s. now, and Vito is a beast, but Crookham has always been like this. Super fundamentals on this kid. 

Yes, I was aware of Crookham’s prowess, as indicated by my previous post, but still had to give Vito his due. I mean, he won his world title pretty easily.

I really believe Vito underestimated him. Even when he was down 5-4 midway through the third, Vito appeared to be very nonchalant. It appeared to me that he felt he could “turn it on” and pull out the win. Crookham’s neutral defense was too good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Yes, I was aware of Crookham’s prowess, as indicated by my previous post, but still had to give Vito his due. I mean, he won his world title pretty easily.

I really believe Vito underestimated him. Even when he was down 5-4 midway through the third, Vito appeared to be very nonchalant. It appeared to me that he felt he could “turn it on” and pull out the win. Crookham’s neutral defense was too good.

He will consider that into his future encounter w/ Ryan on January 13, 2024.

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

16 minutes ago, Pish said:

Crazy thing. McGonagal is in All Star Classic. Could be his last match this year. Wonder if they switch wrestlers for classic.  I guess and he can go up and challenge Hynes?

I'd guess he can beat Hynes at 141.   He had a solid regular season last year (only losses were to McGee and Fix, beat Phillippi and Orine), but then I guess got injured at EIWA's? 

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

I had Vito winning too, before the match. It is interesting given the past 12 months, but styles can make match ups and Crookham showed he presents real problems even when one would consider how good a guy like Vito is. I don't see Crookham ever getting beat bad by anyone.