Lehigh - what is the recruiting vibe / reputation?

Dark Energy

24 minutes ago, Jim L said:

The rise of the Ivies over the the past decades seemed to have hurt Lehigh's standing where it was the place where you can get a highly rated education and still compete for a national title.  Cornell and now Princeton have bested Lehigh fin both areas. 

Is this the Princeton team that is likely to score zero or, to be generous, two points at NCAAs this year?  As bad as Lehigh has gotten, and despite the occasional dual win by Princeton, Lehigh continues to field a better team.  Now Penn and Columbia, on the other hand...

Lehigh’s not in the middle of nowhere, far worse, it’s right next to an old steel town that isn’t the safest place in the world.

Also, no way NIL helped the situation.  Lehigh actually asks for moderate standards for its athletes, I seem to remember david craig being academically ineligible for a bit during one of his years.  I can think of few schools that would do something like that to their athletes.  In that same vein, they aren’t going to open up random certificate programs to keep their guys around or access grad transfers in the portal.

Lehigh also doesn’t have much of a following anymore.  Lehigh is really getting hurt by being surrounded by a lot of other semi-formidable teams, especially penn state and rutgers.  Lehigh is missing all the good stuff with some considerable added baggage for a college experience.  

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Is this the Princeton team that is likely to score zero or, to be generous, two points at NCAAs this year?  As bad as Lehigh has gotten, and despite the occasional dual win by Princeton, Lehigh continues to field a better team.  Now Penn and Columbia, on the other hand...

Regardless of a single year's result a HS recruit who is a good student and who have parents that value the Ivy league brand can realistically picture themselves going to Princeton and competing for a national title. This will fade for Princeton in a few years if they stop having AA quality guys after Ayres leaves, but another Ivy will take their place behind Cornell as the second best team in the Ivy league and likely have multiple AAs and national contenders as well

Lehigh has taken a big hit with the dominance of Cornell and the emergence of Princeton and Rutgers who are right in their backyard. For a long time Princeton and Rutgers never was competitive against Lehigh. Not sure Princeton can keep it up but Rutgers will be good every year and probably better or just as good with Lehigh...In the 70s and 80s Lehigh was the Wrestling Power in the Northeast without a question...Until Goodale came aboard Rutgers lost 53 years in a row to Lehigh...Times have changed!

Edited by feet2back

On 10/29/2023 at 9:51 PM, Hillbilly Jim said:

I guess I don't see the logic in your "middle of nowhere" take.  My kids have recently been in and are currently in the wrestling recruiting mix.  So between them and our dozens upon dozens of wrestling friends being recruited right now--very rarely do I hear kids reference this as a concern or deciding factor amongst higher end programs.  I mean just look at the locations of SO MANY top programs: VA Tech (Blacksburg); Cornell (Ithaca); OK St (Stillwater); Nebraska (Lincoln); Missouri (Columbia); Iowa St (Ames).  Even Iowa City and State College are really just college towns too. 

Honestly most kids I know actually like the college town experience more.   And in case you haven't checked it out lately, I'd say Illinois has been recruiting quite well under its new head coach.  I think the HC and other factors might have a lot more to do with recruiting success than proximity to a major city.  

This, this is the take right here. Spot on.

• Fire 1

18 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

What’s the status on Crookham? Didn’t see his name (or anyone at 33) in the wrestle off results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard from @Husker_Du on Basch-A-Mania podcast that Crookham/McGonagle had (or are having) a closed door wrestle off and the results are being kept pretty hush-hush.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, MidwestWrest said:

I heard from @Husker_Du on Basch-A-Mania podcast that Crookham/McGonagle had (or are having) a closed door wrestle off and the results are being kept pretty hush-hush.

Did he say what the game plan is for the loser?  @Jason Bryant if Crookham gets the nod @133 for Lehigh will McGonagle be the first wrestler in NCAA history to wrestle at the All Star Classic to then lose his starting spot in the lineup? 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Did he say what the game plan is for the loser?  [mention=17]Jason Bryant[/mention] if Crookham gets the nod @133 for Lehigh will McGonagle be the first wrestler in NCAA history to wrestle at the All Star Classic to then lose his starting spot in the lineup? 

Will Rowe at Oklahoma did
  • Fire 3

Insert catchy tagline here. 

19 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Did he say what the game plan is for the loser?  @Jason Bryant if Crookham gets the nod @133 for Lehigh will McGonagle be the first wrestler in NCAA history to wrestle at the All Star Classic to then lose his starting spot in the lineup? 

No mention of what the loser does.

Haines (also in All-Star Classic this year) could lose starting spot to MM. 

Edited by MidwestWrest

29 minutes ago, MidwestWrest said:

Over on the PSU board, several of us have noted that Cael might plan on RSing Haines anyways and that  it would be pretty funny if Haines wins and then we don't see him again this year.

Edited by Le duke
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, MidwestWrest said:

I believe the plan is shirt one of them, probably Haines or Facundo. Following year Facundo goes up to 74 after Starrocci departs.  

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

On 10/31/2023 at 1:49 PM, feet2back said:

Lehigh has taken a big hit with the dominance of Cornell and the emergence of Princeton and Rutgers who are right in their backyard. For a long time Princeton and Rutgers never was competitive against Lehigh. Not sure Princeton can keep it up but Rutgers will be good every year and probably better or just as good with Lehigh...In the 70s and 80s Lehigh was the Wrestling Power in the Northeast without a question...Until Goodale came aboard Rutgers lost 53 years in a row to Lehigh...Times have changed!

Have they changed that much? Didn't Lehigh just out score Rutgers 28-8 at the last NCAA championship?

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

On 11/1/2023 at 4:25 PM, ScarletKnight said:

Why?

McGonagle a senior.  Would Crookham be charged for this year anyways?

My understanding is Crookham is better than McG.

Crookham deferred eligibility last year.  His clock is ticking.

Edited by lu_alum

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

My understanding is Crookham is better than McG.

Crookham deferred eligibility last year.  His clock is ticking.

Crookham is definitely a higher profile recruit.  But McGonagle has had a nice steady improvement and has been pretty consistently ranked top twenty over the last year.  McGonagle is a killer on top, but doesn't always rack up back points, so wonder if the new rules might be an obstacle for him

On 11/2/2023 at 12:50 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Have they changed that much? Didn't Lehigh just out score Rutgers 28-8 at the last NCAA championship?

Yes but Lehigh also refuses to Wrestle a Dual Meet against Rutgers these days...The 2 schools are 48 miles apart....They wrestled in a Dual almost every year since 1941....Rutgers Won a match in 1950 and then didn't Win again till 2013 (63 years) Most blood baths for RU.......Lehigh went 2-2 against Rutgers from 2013-2017 and that was it....Lehigh has Not wanted any part of their neighbor  ( The State University of NJ ) since in a Dual meet

Edited by feet2back