Progressives vs liberals

mspart

10 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

can you show me some examples because i don't believe you. please don't say florida, bc that was a lie just like 'dont say gay was'

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hillsdale-college-1776-curriculum-k12-education-conservative-rcna93397

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

https://newrepublic.com/post/174762/floridas-new-school-curriculum-designed-make-kids-conservative

"But according to the group’s founder, conservative radio host Dennis Prager, it’s actually OK to indoctrinate kids … as long as you’re making them conservative.

“It’s true we bring doctrines to children,” Prager told the right-wing audience. “But what is the bad about our indoctrination?”"

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/desantis-florida-trump-education-politics.html

"Chaya Raichik’s account Libs of TikTok has amassed more than 2 million followers — DeSantis once invited her to stay at the governor’s mansion in Florida — partly by finding posts by left-wing teachers on social media. Her audience has come to see these cherry-picked examples as representing the normal experience in an American classroom. In response to a post by a teacher with brightly dyed hair and tattoos appearing to pledge allegiance to the Pride flag, National Review editor-in-chief Rich Lowry commented, “Don’t laugh — this pledge is probably coming soon to blue jurisdictions.” In apparent response to a viral but false Libs of TikTok post claiming a school was placing litter boxes in the bathroom for children who identify as cats, North Dakota’s House passed a bill that would, among other restrictions, forbid any “policy establishing or providing a place, facility, school program, or accommodation that caters to a student’s perception of being any animal species other than human.”" (I bet you believed the litterbox story lol)

https://www.cpr.org/2023/01/12/woodland-park-school-district-american-birthright-social-studies-standards/

"American Birthright standards are crafted by a national conservative coalition, the Civics Alliance. The standards focus on Western civilization and American exceptionalism and highlight patriotism and Christianity — and have drawn sharp criticism from teachers and national social studies groups. Critics say the standards are too narrow, presenting a single, glorified narrative of U.S history that minimizes the perspectives of many."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/12/us/texas-vs-california-history-textbooks.html

This is a great article examining the way different states edit the same textbook. Absolutely dying at the Texas version of the Harlem Renaissance: 

"Here’s another example: Teenagers in both states will learn about the Harlem Renaissance and debates about the movement’s impact on African-American life. But Texas students will read that some critics “dismissed the quality of literature produced.”

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Lol...worried education will make kids conservative???  Fine...be mad at that...but then better be extremely mad at the 99% of all other schools that are making kids liberals.

I don't think you guys are ever going to understand that kids aren't being shaped into liberals in the classroom. It happens on the internet. 99.9% of teachers are happy if they can make it through their basic lesson plans.

25 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I don't think you guys are ever going to understand that kids aren't being shaped into liberals in the classroom. It happens on the internet. 99.9% of teachers are happy if they can make it through their basic lesson plans.

This is the reality 👆

(Maybe someone can argue the ‘99.9’, but it’s for sure the large majority) 

18 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

This is the reality 👆

(Maybe someone can argue the ‘99.9’, but it’s for sure the large majority) 

The reason they ignore this and hyper-focus on teachers is because they think they can control teachers. They know they can't control the internet and keep it away from their kids.

• Fire 1

22 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

that's weird for sure. apparently 34 states have some 'solidarity' rule like it.

that being said, im not seeing 'people on the right firing personnel en masse due to ideological difference'.

Except the recent speaker of the house. The attorney general of Texas suing the members of his own party that started the impeachment proceedings. 'En Masse' is a relative term. The Leopards Eating Faces Party are running out of faces because for decades they refused to let anyone else in the club. Leaving a scant amount of faces to eat. 

6 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Please explain that last line? How does that math work?

Logic. As in men can pretend to be women and were all supposed to believe it and not question it? 

Do you think men should be able to compete in women's sports? I sure don't. That's just the tip of the iceberg.   Don't get me started on the destruction of free speech.

20 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i ain't doing your work for you. 

you can find some obscure law in texas but you missed the entire cancel culture cull?

talk about disingenuous. 

Why can't we figure this out? The 'Cancel Culture' your all up in arms about was the 'Find out' part. Y'all been effin around for long enough. 

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

You're complaining about having the same consequences as everyone else for a change. How messed up is that? 

18 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

1) no sane parent is 'comfortable' with a discussion on gender and sexuality with an 8 year old

people of your ilk claim to be 'comfortable' and the topic 'appropriate' in the name of virtue signaling and inclusion. you are a scumbag who cares more about the dopamine your beetle brain gets for telling yourself you're a good, progressive person than you care about the long term welfare of the children. 

2) for the umpteenth time, they were general el. ed. teachers. 

1). You are 'Otherizing' parents for having different opinions and/or approaches. Do you realize how dangerous that is? If you do it here, chances are you do it in other areas to justify your dislike. Dehumanizing someone for any reason makes it easier to disregard their mistreatment. 

All your other points are just a cover so you can feel comfortable with your HORRIBLE approach to a topic. You are a prime example of Godwin's Law(not gonna explain it, find it yourself), insults, then I imagine you'll jump both feet into the final bucket. 

2) Maybe I missed the specifics of your conversation, you seem upset so I won't ask you to describe EXACTLY what was being presented. I'm sure it was ghastly and not acceptable to beetle brains. 

*yes I included a link, so you can read to see how much your are shoveling while its snowing and maybe rethink your approach 

Granted,  I teach adults,  but mainly young adults.  I've been accused by two students of the famous "indoctrination" that we all apparently learn to do in our education courses,  and subsequent workshops. 

When I asked those two authoritarian students if I had indoctrinated them they emphatically and proudly puffed their chests out and said,  "No way, not ME!"  I then replied,  "well,  it sounds to me like I'm kind of a piss poor indoctrinator then,  aren't I?"

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

34 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Granted,  I teach adults,  but mainly young adults.  I've been accused by two students of the famous "indoctrination" that we all apparently learn to do in our education courses,  and subsequent workshops. 

When I asked those two authoritarian students if I had indoctrinated them they emphatically and proudly puffed their chests out and said,  "No way, not ME!"  I then replied,  "well,  it sounds to me like I'm kind of a piss poor indoctrinator then,  aren't I?"

Seth Meyers Burn GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Pushes...

These parents provide feedback on sex ed, CRT, etc. at school.

A study was commissioned on a nationally representative sample of 1,505 yet-or-recent high school graduates about CRT and Gender Identity topics.  The majority of these students shared feedback that they were taught directly at school or told what to think by an adult at school on these topics.  

https://www.city-journal.org/article/yes-critical-race-theory-is-being-taught-in-schools

• Fire 1

This pretty much explains it.    At the risk of putting an link in and quoting some of it, this explains in very good detail what the current emphasis is.  It also is derisive of any opposing view.   This is not the complete article, but if you want to read more, click on the link. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/09/how-to-teach-gender-identity-in-schools/671422/

What to Teach Young Kids About Gender

Schools should tell children to be themselves. But some districts say too much—and mistake progressive dogma for established fact.

By Conor Friedersdorf

For the foreseeable future, parents and educators will be grappling with this polarizing question: What, if anything, should prepubescent public-school students be taught about gender identity?

“Resources and lesson plans for those who want to teach about gender identity are becoming much more common,” The Washington Post reported in June. “Seven states now require that curriculums include LGBTQ topics. The National Sex Education Standards, developed by experts and advocacy groups, name gender identity as one of seven essential topics, alongside puberty, consent, sexual orientation and other subjects. And the federal government recommends that schools include gender identity in their sex education programs.”

The push is to start young. California’s Department of Education urges kindergarten teachers to dispel gender stereotypes, laying groundwork “for acceptance, inclusiveness, and an anti-bullying environment,” because “some children in kindergarten or even younger have identified as transgender.” Some educators favor earlier interventions. The eight co-authors of the 2019 book Supporting Gender Diversity in Early Childhood Classrooms argue that too little emphasis is given to gender identity in the years before age 6, when educators have “a chance to prime all parents for supporting their children’s gender health” and “the opportunity to educate all children about gender diversity and introduce them to role models of a variety of genders.”

But a rival faction has reacted by insisting, at the other extreme, that instruction involving gender identity has no place at all in early-childhood education. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed a law in March that prohibits public schools from presenting any instruction on gender identity until at least the fourth grade. According to NPR, at least a dozen other states are considering similar legislation. The issue could be a political winner for the Republicans who are pushing it. A recent survey sponsored by the American Federation of Teachers finds that 58 percent of likely voters in battleground states disapprove of the way students are taught about “sexual preference and gender identity.” Asked to explain why, 31 percent said “students are too young for [the] material,” while 27 percent said parents are responsible for teaching it.

mspart

• Fire 1

All the school board hoopla on sex Ed is the same argument as CRT was.  Mostly imagination and even - hypothetically - if it weren't, it isn't wrong.  Just parents who don't know the arse from a hole in the ground.

Woodland Park, CO (mentioned above) is an interesting case.  They elected some far, far right wing folks to the school board, which is their right.   They then said they were going to "flood the zone" with changes so they would get at least some of their changes before law suits could stop them.  Most of the carnival barkers at school board meetings can't even do this because it isn't what most of the parents want, plain and simple.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

All the school board hoopla on sex Ed is the same argument as CRT was.  Mostly imagination and even - hypothetically - if it weren't, it isn't wrong.  Just parents who don't know the arse from a hole in the ground.

Precisely! And,  for the ones hellbent on terrorism,  the DOJ did its job by investigating these pigs and issuing warnings. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Victor Davis Hanson

“As for business, law, and medical schools–they now transfer much of their finite resources away from honing professional skills to ideological indoctrination in supposed diversity, equity, and inclusion.

As a result, universities have lost their century-long credibility as guardians of free and open scientific inquiry. Any contemporary university scientist who followed a renegade devotion to disinterested science–as embodied by Democritus, Galileo, or Copernicus–would encounter the same premodern character assassination, groupthink opposition, and efforts to destroy his career.

In sum, if exorbitantly priced higher education can no longer produce either a class of broadly educated citizens, or an empirically-trained and elite scientific, professional, and technological class, then why would Americans any longer put up with universities’ unapologetic indoctrination—a sort of interference with the university’s mission so reminiscent of the disastrous Russian commissar system that had nearly destroyed the Red Army at the outset of World War II?

Reform will only come through curtailing the government handouts that fuel multibillion dollar university endowments. Such unprecedented affluence ensures lavish campus budgets that in turn subsidize racist, anti-Semitic, and McCarthyite policies and institutions.

Just tax the income from the roughly $1 trillion of America’s tax exempt university endowments and perhaps there would not be quite enough money for courses on cartoons, cross-dressing, and BLM, much less for thousands of DEI commissars and censors.

Stop federal funds to any university that refuses to ensure Bill-of-Rights protections for its students.

If the SAT and ACT are increasingly dropped for admissions to universities, then an exit version of them should be required to ensure that all BA and BS degrees certify at least a minimum competence in math, science, and general knowledge.

Get the government out of the $1.8 trillion student loan business—and perhaps campuses would understand the concept of moral hazard. Only then would they monitor carefully extraneous expenditures and begin graduating students in four years—with the skills that employers so desperately need and the knowledge that a democracy relies upon.

If thousands of big donors who give billions of dollars to Ivy League and other tony universities were to “just say no,” then perhaps grasping deans, provosts, and presidents would begin to wonder whether they could fund any more rock climbing walls, latte bars, DEI czars, drag shows—and hate-Israel courses and student organizations.

In short, colleges are now a bad deal—far too costly, too political, and too incompetent in fulfilling their mission to the country. They no longer can deliver on what they were created for, and they simply will not stop fueling things that are not just unnecessary, but downright injurious to the country, scary, and destructive.

Who wishes to continue with all that?”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Famgreatness.com%2F2023%2F10%2F23%2Fthe-sickness-of-our-universities-and-the-cure%2F

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Offthemat said:

Victor Davis Hanson

“As for business, law, and medical schools–they now transfer much of their finite resources away from honing professional skills to ideological indoctrination in supposed diversity, equity, and inclusion.

As a result, universities have lost their century-long credibility as guardians of free and open scientific inquiry. Any contemporary university scientist who followed a renegade devotion to disinterested science–as embodied by Democritus, Galileo, or Copernicus–would encounter the same premodern character assassination, groupthink opposition, and efforts to destroy his career.

In sum, if exorbitantly priced higher education can no longer produce either a class of broadly educated citizens, or an empirically-trained and elite scientific, professional, and technological class, then why would Americans any longer put up with universities’ unapologetic indoctrination—a sort of interference with the university’s mission so reminiscent of the disastrous Russian commissar system that had nearly destroyed the Red Army at the outset of World War II?

Reform will only come through curtailing the government handouts that fuel multibillion dollar university endowments. Such unprecedented affluence ensures lavish campus budgets that in turn subsidize racist, anti-Semitic, and McCarthyite policies and institutions.

Just tax the income from the roughly $1 trillion of America’s tax exempt university endowments and perhaps there would not be quite enough money for courses on cartoons, cross-dressing, and BLM, much less for thousands of DEI commissars and censors.

Stop federal funds to any university that refuses to ensure Bill-of-Rights protections for its students.

If the SAT and ACT are increasingly dropped for admissions to universities, then an exit version of them should be required to ensure that all BA and BS degrees certify at least a minimum competence in math, science, and general knowledge.

Get the government out of the $1.8 trillion student loan business—and perhaps campuses would understand the concept of moral hazard. Only then would they monitor carefully extraneous expenditures and begin graduating students in four years—with the skills that employers so desperately need and the knowledge that a democracy relies upon.

If thousands of big donors who give billions of dollars to Ivy League and other tony universities were to “just say no,” then perhaps grasping deans, provosts, and presidents would begin to wonder whether they could fund any more rock climbing walls, latte bars, DEI czars, drag shows—and hate-Israel courses and student organizations.

In short, colleges are now a bad deal—far too costly, too political, and too incompetent in fulfilling their mission to the country. They no longer can deliver on what they were created for, and they simply will not stop fueling things that are not just unnecessary, but downright injurious to the country, scary, and destructive.

Who wishes to continue with all that?”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Famgreatness.com%2F2023%2F10%2F23%2Fthe-sickness-of-our-universities-and-the-cure%2F

There's some deep thought there. 

Wowza, let's just keep upping the stupid. 

5 hours ago, Offthemat said:

this would be great.

• Fire 1

TBD

3 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

There's some deep thought there. 

Wowza, let's just keep upping the stupid. 

why are lefties so against achievement and accountability?

the only thing you care about is protecting your fragility. 

the soccer mom mentality is practically your entire ethos. 

• Fire 1

TBD

19 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

why are lefties so against achievement and accountability?

the only thing you care about is protecting your fragility. 

the soccer mom mentality is practically your entire ethos. 

Yeah,  I'm a soccer mom. 

If so,  I can assure you that I could slap your 5 foot ass across any room.